Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wow,the move is harder than i thought

wow,the move is harder than i thought

Old May 2nd 2007, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: wow,the move is harder than i thought

Originally Posted by Deedee13
explain a little bit more? i think basically the two go hand in hand but what will it have for an impact on the people like me and many others that probably pay into but might not or cannot get USC.
IF you have your "40 quarters" accumulated it doesn't make any difference for Social Security or Medicare whether you are a USC or an LPR.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! I was just reading through this thread and about to post a good luck message to you and I noticed your location! I'm in Millington, TN, but I know the area you live in very well. My stepdaughter lives in Manchester with her mother, so we are out that way pretty frequently. So, I know exactly what you mean about it being a small town etc., and lack of job opportunities.

Aside from Nashville, you may want to take a look in the Murfreesboro area, it's a college town and pretty nice area. I would imagine it would be more promising for job opportunities, I know that she and her partner both commute from Manchester to that area for work.

Aside from all of that, you mentioned attraction management. I'm not quite sure what that entails, but I do know that my husband is a District Manager for a large video game company (one of those that put the games in movie theaters, malls, arcades etc) and they have several locations in the Nashville area, and Bowling Green, Kentucky - as well as out here in Memphis. They are going to be looking for some new staff, store managers, route managers and such. If you want to send me an email with your resume/CV, I will be happy to pass it to him. It's hard work and I don't know if the pay for any of these positions would be what you are used to or looking for, but they have great benefits with very reasonable (and good) health insurance, pension plans etc... Just a thought to keep in mind if you are interested! If not, best of luck with your search and settling in. It takes a while, I was ready to hop on a plane several times in the first year, and still have the odd pang, but 3 years down the road I'm married with a 6 month old little girl, and it finally feels like home here now. You'll get to that spot too I'm sure once things start to fall into place, it just takes time.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Just my own thoughts on becoming a citizen - if there isn't any disadvantage to citizenship (and I don't think there is that I can think of for the US or the UK) I'd personally go ahead an get it. If the UK felt like offering me one, I'd gladly take it.
If you've got citizenship else where that you might lose by becoming a USC.
If your likely to get work transfers to tax free countries.
If you've a long hankering to go see Cuba.

Etc, there's a few, but for many, it's just easier to get it and forget about it.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
IF you have your "40 quarters" accumulated it doesn't make any difference for Social Security or Medicare whether you are a USC or an LPR.
It does if you want to draw the money abroad though.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:18 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Well, blow me over if it isn't Lesley! Is that the cherub?

How are you? And your health is good I hope?

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Hi! I was just reading through this thread and about to post a good luck message to you and I noticed your location! I'm in Millington, TN, but I know the area you live in very well. My stepdaughter lives in Manchester with her mother, so we are out that way pretty frequently. So, I know exactly what you mean about it being a small town etc., and lack of job opportunities.

Aside from Nashville, you may want to take a look in the Murfreesboro area, it's a college town and pretty nice area. I would imagine it would be more promising for job opportunities, I know that she and her partner both commute from Manchester to that area for work.

Aside from all of that, you mentioned attraction management. I'm not quite sure what that entails, but I do know that my husband is a District Manager for a large video game company (one of those that put the games in movie theaters, malls, arcades etc) and they have several locations in the Nashville area, and Bowling Green, Kentucky - as well as out here in Memphis. They are going to be looking for some new staff, store managers, route managers and such. If you want to send me an email with your resume/CV, I will be happy to pass it to him. It's hard work and I don't know if the pay for any of these positions would be what you are used to or looking for, but they have great benefits with very reasonable (and good) health insurance, pension plans etc... Just a thought to keep in mind if you are interested! If not, best of luck with your search and settling in. It takes a while, I was ready to hop on a plane several times in the first year, and still have the odd pang, but 3 years down the road I'm married with a 6 month old little girl, and it finally feels like home here now. You'll get to that spot too I'm sure once things start to fall into place, it just takes time.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It does if you want to draw the money abroad though.
Sounds like it still works for a LPR (but horrid government document to wade through of course)

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html#additional
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Well, blow me over if it isn't Lesley! Is that the cherub?

How are you? And your health is good I hope?

Hi there!!!! Yep, that's Ava. She's becoming quite the little character (or rather, large - 18lbs already), crawling, giggles, into everything - pulled the doctor's glasses off his face and threw them on the floor at her 6 month appointment, lol. I'm doing good, just back to work this week after an "extended" maternity leave, lol. I never thought I could be a stay at home mommy but I just couldn't face leaving her and decided it would be worth eating mac and cheese for 6 months to have the extra time ! Got a job at a maternity/women's hospital so it'll be nice to get away from the legal environment! Health is good, had a few ups and downs after the birth, but back on an up again for now

All is well in your world? I hope so! Here's our little angel
Attached Thumbnails wow,the move is harder than i thought-ava.jpg   wow,the move is harder than i thought-april-29-027.jpg   wow,the move is harder than i thought-easter-041.jpg   wow,the move is harder than i thought-dscf2607.jpg   wow,the move is harder than i thought-ava-loren.jpg  

Last edited by Lesley1020; May 2nd 2007 at 1:52 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Is that her big sister with her?

She's adorable -- and HUGE! but she'll probably slow down a bit and not keep this pace until 12 months.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:40 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Oh how precious. Both of them are wonderful!!

I am so glad to hear that you're feeling good, after all the hassles. Happy that all has worked out, and don't keep away so long next time, I'm sure there are loads around that remember and miss you
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to respond to a few points. You do not have to be a US citizien to receive SS benefits, nor do you need to reside in the Us to collect. There is a Nolo Guide to SS, Medicare & Government pensions which explains all. However it is time for me to hit the sack as I took a sleeping pill and rather than confuse you with piss poor typing with weird sentences I'll answer the questions fully when my brain is straight.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

hammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by basementwaj
So i have been in the US for 6 weeks now, with my greencard in my hand and a ir1 visa in my pocket.... and its hard being here!

I thought it would be pretty easy, get visa, move to US, get job, get apartment be happy. But my job fell through and i cant find any work. I know its only been 6 weeks (and we are living with the wifes gran for now) but my UK experience means sh*t to these people. I mean i have travelled the world managing my previous company's divisions, and was based in london, but people here dont really care and just want you to sell insurance for them!

I have worked (PT&FT) since i was 13 years old, and i have been unemployed for 8 weeks now. i am just not used to this...
people here are nice but i can tell that their sincerety is completely fake...
i have always lived within 5 miles of my entire family and now im 4000 miles from them..
Plus, living expenses are way higher than i thought they were... for example, i bought lettuce yesterday from food lion, it cost $2.00! the same lettuce is £0.30 in the uk (i guess its not a high demand item here)

Plus mobiles are way more expensive than i realised, internet is more pricey than the UK and everyone wants to sell you something!

So, i have had my rant now and just needed to get my frustrations out there... i have massive respect for all of you that came here and have made a go of it, i hope i get to that position soon..... any advice to keep me sane is welcomed! i check BE whenever i can, but im stealing my neighbours internet and its a bit dicey!!!!

and if anyone wants to send me a Wah-mbulance, feel free!

And.....the wages in the USA are just crap...minimum wage $5.15 an hour.

I'm so glad to be leaving the USA....Superpower? Banana Republic morelike

You only realize how good England is when you leave and come to a dump like the USA.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

ok, after a couple of hours at the ss office this afternoon. YES u can draw two pensions and NO they wont affect each other - Providing that u have reached the 40 credits required! If its less than the 40 required to receive a us pension then u can use what u have accumulated here and add it to ur foreign one to get a FULL pension. However, if u have reached the required credits that u need then u get the full one here and it has no affect if u have one from another country too.

US SS will be paid out to a non resident non USC providing they have lived with spouse for at least five years in USA! And u will be taxed differently.

US SS is taxed differently if u are a non USC but have collected all ur credits! does that help any.

And yes if ur present hubby dies and ur ex has more ss you can claim from his providing u dont remarry before u turn 60 and providing ur either divorced again or widowed.

If u find my pic in the newspaper tomorrow because i have been arrested! I am sure the woman thought i had alteria motives. I didnt and I dont just want to know whats what
Thanks a lot for finding that out. Seems like I won't be too badly off in my old age - probably a lot better off than I am now. It's a bit past 7 and I've just rolled into work for another day of drudgery and boredom. Time to move on, methinks.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hammersmith_cockney
And.....the wages in the USA are just crap...minimum wage $5.15 an hour.
I think this is a generalisation that many can dispute, not the amount of the minimum wage, but that the wages in the USA are crap. Both DH and I are on far more than what we got in the UK. It all depends on what your area of expertise happens to be. All I can say is if you are struggling in your current field, do what you can to change to a career where there is a greater need.

I am an Accountant and feel I am more than amply rewarded financially and would have no problems changing jobs tomorrow. I think BigDavy is in the same field and he appears to have no problems getting work either.

You just have to get the skills and the right job and suddenly your world will change.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
Thanks a lot for finding that out. Seems like I won't be too badly off in my old age - probably a lot better off than I am now. It's a bit past 7 and I've just rolled into work for another day of drudgery and boredom. Time to move on, methinks.
There is a little booklet its called Your payments while u are outside the united states. If u cant get it, pm me ur address and i will post it out to u. Its got a lot of stuff in it that relates to what u were saying. Up to and including getting both pensions where u qualify into both systems.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Do you get that from the SS office? If so, I'll give them a call or swing on by the local one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.