Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wow - Iowa primary

Wow - Iowa primary

Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow - Iowa primary

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I bet it shoke Hilary I felt that she thought it was a done deal, I can't believe she came in 3rd!
NH will be interesting I am getting into this and can't even vote.
Hillary never expected to win Iowa, she almost decided not to campaign there. Iowa is not a diverse state - and certainly not pro Hillary. NH is a different kettle of fish.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:15 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Guiliani will make a resurgence...I predict McCain/Guiliani vs. Clinton/Edwards in the election. No idea who would win that one.
Giuliani has to make a resurgence 'cos he can't do any worse. But seriously, he has so many personal and political liabilities that I can't imagine he'd get presidential or vice-presidential nomination. I know it's the New Yorker (and therefore anathema to prospective Guiliani voters) but it's worth reading the following: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_kolbert If even a tenth of that can be de-snottified and transmitted through mainstream media, then Giuliani's dead in the water. He's not just a blank canvas like Obama or George Bush Jr (first time), he's actually a empty vessel making the most noise about a pretty patchy track record. Also, McCain's big thing is personal integrity - running alongside Giuliani would undermine that.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:23 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Hillary never expected to win Iowa, she almost decided not to campaign there. Iowa is not a diverse state - and certainly not pro Hillary. NH is a different kettle of fish.
She was advised not to campaign there and chose to, against other advisers due to the fact that Iowa has never had a woman governer, and Bill did not campaign there either, in I think 92.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Way too early to forecast anything from this. Carter (76) and Clinton (96) both won the Democratic Iowa Caucus and went on to become the nominee and then president and were the only two to do this in the last 35 years.

Meanwhile plenty of people have won the caucus and not even got nominated to run, like Muskie, Gephardt, and Harkin.

Taking contemporary factors into account though, I would argue that Obama is looking good for the Democratic nomination. Let's just wait and watch the NH primary.
clinton was the incumbent in 1996 though, so lkinda stands to reason he'd be re-elected in Iowa......

Harkin was state senator in Iowa also which skewed the results as he didn't really have much hope elsewhere.

Iowa can suck my caucus.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:46 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
clinton was the incumbent in 1996 though, so lkinda stands to reason he'd be re-elected in Iowa......

Harkin was state senator in Iowa also which skewed the results as he didn't really have much hope elsewhere.

Iowa can suck my caucus.
Enter Al Gore stage left carrying his oscar and Nobel prize
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
I am hugely disappointed with the present line-up on both sides. Is this the best a country of 300 million people can do? Not inspiring.
Still a million times better than last time - I mean Kerry was a cardboard cut out for God's sake! Trouble this time is that there are too many personalities - I think Obama and Hillary will knock each other out and Edwards will come forward - on the other side wide open - McCain looked his age in Iowa though
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Watched some of it on MSNBC last night. They said Obama's victory was huge in terms of a black man winning the vote in a predominanty white state. I hadn't realized that race was such a big issue in politics anymore.

IMO, surely there should be more focus on what he has to give the country rather than what he looks like. I was quite pleased to see that in his victory speech HE didn't bring race into it... it's just a shame that the media had to.

Not sure what to make of the rest of them. There's something false about Hillary. (But then there's always something false about ANY politician.)
Mike Huckabee seemed nice enough, but would he be lacking when it actually came down to a dog-fight. Who knows?
That Mitt Romney just seemed like a stand-up comedian. No wonder no-one took him seriously.
And Edwards looks the part but, again, there's something about that Southern drawl that doesn't quite ring true. (Probably echoes of Dubbya!)

On the whole, I quite liked Obama but what I think doesn't exactly mean a jot so... cup of tea anyone?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Watched some of it on MSNBC last night. They said Obama's victory was huge in terms of a black man winning the vote in a predominanty white state. I hadn't realized that race was such a big issue in politics anymore.

IMO, surely there should be more focus on what he has to give the country rather than what he looks like. I was quite pleased to see that in his victory speech HE didn't bring race into it... it's just a shame that the media had to.

Not sure what to make of the rest of them. There's something false about Hillary. (But then there's always something false about ANY politician.)
Mike Huckabee seemed nice enough, but would he be lacking when it actually came down to a dog-fight. Who knows?
That Mitt Romney just seemed like a stand-up comedian. No wonder no-one took him seriously.
And Edwards looks the part but, again, there's something about that Southern drawl that doesn't quite ring true. (Probably echoes of Dubbya!)

On the whole, I quite liked Obama but what I think doesn't exactly mean a jot so... cup of tea anyone?

Hey we have learnt alot in the past 24 hours girl
Obama I think is mixed race mother as he said last night from Kansas not that makes are white, and his dad is from Kenya, I agree who ever can do the best job should get in without a doubt, but Obama does repeat the same thing over and over " we will make changes" its like a tape recording.

Oh mines with a digestive
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey we have learnt alot in the past 24 hours girl
Obama I think is mixed race mother as he said last night from Kansas not that makes are white, and his dad is from Kenya, I agree who ever can do the best job should get in without a doubt, but Obama does repeat the same thing over and over " we will make changes" its like a tape recording.

Oh mines with a digestive
I know! I feel like a political journo now! I can't stand all that falseness. Any politician gives with one hand but takes away with the other... it's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Would that be chocolate or plain?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

She was advised not to campaign there and chose to, against other advisers due to the fact that Iowa has never had a woman governer, and Bill did not campaign there either, in I think 92.

......although Iowa's last 4 Leiutenant Governors have been Women.

I would like to point out that I didn't take part in last night's events (I can't vote yet). However, I object to the hundreds of millions of dollars wasted on Political Campaigns which could go to helping provide health care for those that need it, or, put roofs over the heads of the people who are without homes through no fault of their own.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Jan 4th 2008 at 9:34 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:31 pm

I know! I feel like a political journo now! I can't stand all that falseness. Any politician gives with one hand but takes away with the other... it's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Would that be chocolate or plain?
I am quite excited I have found a new interest since yesterday.

I am on a diet so plain thanks
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am quite excited I have found a new interest since yesterday.

I am on a diet so plain thanks
Well if, like me, you have nothing else to do with your time, unfortunately the '08 Election Campaign is going to be followed with an obsessive kind of interest...

By this time in 6 months we'll be going on chat shows, spouting political flannel like the rest of those smooth-haired media-types!

Teas ready. Mind the crumbs please!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:44 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I object to the hundreds of millions of dollars wasted on Political Campaigns which could go to helping provide health care for those that need it, or, put roofs over the heads of the people who are without homes through no fault of their own.
The campaigns aren't state-funded, though, are they? I was going to say that the campaign $ are no more responsible for homelessness or the sick than the $ spent on handbags or iPods ... but of course the political donations shape the politicians' agenda, which puts healthcare and public housing far down the list.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:45 pm

Well if, like me, you have nothing else to do with your time, unfortunately the '08 Election Campaign is going to be followed with an obsessive kind of interest...

By this time in 6 months we'll be going on chat shows, spouting political flannel like the rest of those smooth-haired media-types!

Teas ready. Mind the crumbs please!
There seems to be a lot of interest on Expats regarding the Elections be it at what ever stage, it would be so cool if we could have a sub forum built into the USA one, where we could voice are thoughts rather then be looking for a thread in that catogary.

I never make a mess!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:45 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

you're kidding?

you do know he's a muslim?

(according to what a guy at work told my father in law )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.