Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wow groceries are expensive here!

Wow groceries are expensive here!

Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:38 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow groceries are expensive here!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is there any advantage to doing it that way? Does it not bake as well in the bread maker?
You don't get a big hole in the bottom of the bread where the paddle was and you get more of a loaf shaped loaf. I used to do mine this way and I think it cooked more evenly, made the house smell delicious and let me control the second rise.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
You don't get a big hole in the bottom of the bread where the paddle was and you get more of a loaf shaped loaf. I used to do mine this way and I think it cooked more evenly, made the house smell delicious and let me control the second rise.
OK thank you, that makes sense.

I am looking forward to bread that tastes of bread, so shape is not a massive concern, but as some will go to sandwiches, the hole might make that more difficult.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
To be fair, the bread may be more expensive, but it will stay "fresh" for 6+ months.
I have to say that I've never had a loaf of bread (bagels, rolls, etc) that didn't become mildewed in a weeks time. I have to keep them in the freezer if I know I'm not going to use them in a week. Can't even imagine two weeks!

Now if we're talking milk....

Last edited by AmerLisa; Mar 27th 2014 at 1:02 am.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I was just going to say that, expensive compared to where?

Part of the reason is the greater transport distances involved compared to the UK. And that's also the reason there's usually less fresh food too. And also the reason so many things that are liquids in Europe are powders in N America.

I think there's also more competition in the UK due to the population density, more supermarkets closer together because there are more people so you can shop around more easily. In the US and Canada the next nearest supermarket can easily be 5+ miles away.

Although Vancouver never makes sense to me, it is very crowded but when I go into supermarkets there they're significantly more pricey than in Calgary plus you have the US option we don't have. Unless you fancy a drive to Great Falls. "Save On Foods" is the worst supermarket name ever, the one near me has the highest prices on most things. They seem to use a few things like milk as loss leaders to get people in the store. But the Cost Cutter in Blaine is pretty dire, you have to go somewhere decent like Fred Meyers in Bellingham.

Super Store and No Frills tends to be 2 cheapest in Vancouver, but neither have many locations, but the smaller independent markets tend to be fairly priced, I went to a place called Donald's along E Hastings near Nanaimo street when I lived in Vancouver and prices were decent, especially on produce.

Now I live an hour north of Vancouver, on the way to Whistler and we have 3 grocery stores, Save-On, Nestors, and Extra Foods (Loblaw brand, but independently owned)

Save-On in this town tends to have the best prices overall, Nestors has decent sales on some stuff, as does Extra Foods but the quality of meat and produce there is nasty, but they have the largest selection of frozen dinners and frozen foods, and smallest selection of fresh foods, and no bakery.

Wal-Mart sells a small amount of cereal, junk food, and some frozen foods along with milk and eggs and such, but no grocery section like a Super Wal-Mart.

Overall there is no place that is cheap in this town for food, but by the time you add in gas, car rental, and such to get to Vancouver, there is no savings going there, same with the border since its a 90 minute trek just to the border.

The only place to buy cheese at a decent price is Shopper's when on sale, everywhere else cheese is horribly pricey even for Canadian standards.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 2:03 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't like the apples with a mirror finish.
My grandfather had a greengrocers shop in Lancashire and used to polish the apples after closing time. I'm thinking it's not polishing that makes them so shiny now though.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 2:07 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Do you have Trader Joe's? They are the cheapest supermarket we have found.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 2:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
My grandfather had a greengrocers shop in Lancashire and used to polish the apples after closing time. I'm thinking it's not polishing that makes them so shiny now though.
Not sure of all apples, but those from Washington are generally waxed with either carnauba wax which comes from a palm tree found in Brazil or shellac which is apparently created by some bug in Thailand.

Waxing of apples is not new, been done for quite a long time, the washing and processing before going to market removes the natural wax found on apples so it needs to be replaced to preserve the fruit longer.

shellac is also used to make jelly beans shiny.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 8:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is there any advantage to doing it that way? Does it not bake as well in the bread maker?
It would bake as well, BUT, you get a tall square loaf with a big hole in it where the paddle has to come out, it's really a cosmetic reason but we do get a loaf shaped loaf.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
While TJ's prices are reasonable, they are NOT the cheapest around! We make a trip to the nearest store about 90 mins drive away, about once a month or so and they have great food. However, Walmart is cheaper and, for anything that's not brand sensitive (like Heinz tomato sauce and Hellman's mayonnaise), the cheapest is Aldi!

The latter actually owns TJ's, BTW.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danoz
One of the first things I have noticed is just how expensive groceries are here. Been to Publix, Sweetbay and Whole foods (I realise the latter will be more expensive), but surprised in general with the cost of things compared to UK. I was expecting prices to be a bit more expensive after reading some of the posts here, but wasnt prepared for just how much more expensive.... everything.... is!
It depends. Converting USD prices into GBP is only one half of the equation. Price is not the only factor in determining whether something is more expensive - you also have to look at disposable income. When I came to the US, my salary immediately doubled from what I was earning in the UK and so I had a lot more disposable income. So when I looked at prices in the US relative to my income, things were actually cheaper here than in the UK. And certain things such as gasoline are much cheaper whatever way you look at it. I don't concern myself with comparing prices anymore (that happens naturally over time). I just know that I'm much better off financially in the US.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 27th 2014 at 1:44 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Once again - a groceries thread I disagree with; especially the wine bit but then i'm partial to Californian red.

I go back to the UK twice a year now for 2-3 weeks at a time. Can't say I notice any real difference in grocery prices once you correct for $ vs £ 'fair value'. Some things cheaper - some things more expensive. All seems to balance out.

The bread comments are all true though - too much sugar and the stuff lasts for a suspiciously long time.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It depends. Converting USD prices into GBP is only one half of the equation. Price is not the only factor in determining whether something is more expensive - you also have to look at disposable income. When I came to the US, my salary immediately doubled from what I was earning in the UK and so I had a lot more disposable income. So when I looked at prices in the US relative to my income, things were actually cheaper here than in the UK. And certain things such as gasoline are much cheaper whatever way you look at it. I don't concern myself with comparing prices anymore (that happens naturally over time). I just know that I'm much better off financially in the US.
Yup - I read somewhere that any comment about relative prices without taking into account average wages is useless (this is how cost of living calculators usually work). Prices seem to track wages and you see that even on a very local level. For example the prices in my local 'Ghetto Basket' in downtown Fitchburg- where a lot of people pay with food-stamps- are extremely cheap. However go down the highway 30 mins to Worcester to a similar supermarket and they are quite a bit more pricey.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Mar 27th 2014 at 1:50 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Even cheaper than WalMart?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 4:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I have to say that I've never had a loaf of bread (bagels, rolls, etc) that didn't become mildewed in a weeks time. I have to keep them in the freezer if I know I'm not going to use them in a week. Can't even imagine two weeks!

Now if we're talking milk....
My loaves never last more than 2 days, then I have to bake another one, fresh bread is soooooo good.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Even cheaper than WalMart?
When you get the decent stuff, yes.

Walmart doesn't even have the cheapest anyway, that would be Wegmans with their $1 loaves....which aren't brilliant, but they're not terrible and good enough for PB&J's for the kids.

Though I've been making my own. Started with the no-knead recipe which is great, but the kids weren't a fan for sandwiches.

http://breadbaking.about.com/od/yeas...1loafbread.htm

That's a quick and easy one, doesn't take much time at all to put together, I do a double batch one evening and then bake it the next morning usually.

Anyway, what's with another donkeys old thread being revived? Not on it's last couple of days this time I suppose :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.