Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wow! Cheap peak season fares to UK

Wow! Cheap peak season fares to UK

Old Jun 24th 2005, 9:30 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow! Cheap peak season fares to UK

I'm lucky in that my wife works for United Airlines (who knows for how much longer!). I'm planning a flight home in October to see a local derby of a football game (Dunfermline vs Falkirk) and while it sucks to be under the pressure of flying stand-by, we've both been lucky in the past that we've never been stranded at an airport. I think the worst was a 7 hour wait in SFO to get back to ORD.
The chance of getting Business or First Class is a great perk, especially from O'Hare to Heathrow. God knows I'd never be able to afford the regular ticket price.

Fingers crossed for October
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

betsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I'm lucky in that my wife works for United Airlines (who knows for how much longer!). I'm planning a flight home in October to see a local derby of a football game (Dunfermline vs Falkirk) and while it sucks to be under the pressure of flying stand-by, we've both been lucky in the past that we've never been stranded at an airport. I think the worst was a 7 hour wait in SFO to get back to ORD.
The chance of getting Business or First Class is a great perk, especially from O'Hare to Heathrow. God knows I'd never be able to afford the regular ticket price.

Fingers crossed for October
how does this standby ticket work,what do you have to do?
thanks
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:50 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betsy
how does this standby ticket work,what do you have to do?
thanks
It's basically flying on an employee pass.
You put your name down on the list for a flight you want to get and seats are assigned after all paying passengers are on board. Seats are based on the employee's seniority. It is a case of waiting at the gate to see how full the plane is and how good your seniority is compared with others on the stand-by list. If you are dressed smartly enough for business or 1st and there is availability, then you may get lucky. I forget what the cost of the tix are but they are taken from my wife's paycheck the following month. I think a 1st Class ticket from O'Hare to Heathrow was about $100 - quite a saving on what it should've been
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

IrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant future

This site http://www.bt-store.com/ have excellent prices
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

betsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant future

thanks dufuss
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
It's basically flying on an employee pass.
You put your name down on the list for a flight you want to get and seats are assigned after all paying passengers are on board. Seats are based on the employee's seniority. It is a case of waiting at the gate to see how full the plane is and how good your seniority is compared with others on the stand-by list. If you are dressed smartly enough for business or 1st and there is availability, then you may get lucky. I forget what the cost of the tix are but they are taken from my wife's paycheck the following month. I think a 1st Class ticket from O'Hare to Heathrow was about $100 - quite a saving on what it should've been
Old Jun 30th 2005, 3:07 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that Virgin just joined the list of carriers who have recently added fuel surcharges onto the fares-their increase for example is 45 bucks each way, or for tickets purchased in the UK, 26.5 quid.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

louieh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just been looking at flight prices with British Airways to LHR from Newark, NJ (EWR) on direct flights. Now I thought that most prices to the UK were currently around $1000, but I've just found fares (with a range of dates and flights + and - a 7 day period, I hypothetically typed in 3rd July outbound with the return leg a month later).

There are fares as low as $498 for a round trip + the unfortunate airport taxes of $198 = grand total of $696.81.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ource=original

Of course, once the seats are gone, they're gone at the cheapest prices and then go up to the next price band in the same class. I once read that airlines review their prices every 20 minutes......

also you could try
www.bt-store.com

i found this to be the cheapest site yet and if you want a one-way flight they wouldn't penalise you