Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

would you rent out or sell UK house?

would you rent out or sell UK house?

Old May 25th 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

trirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nice
Default Re: would you rent out or sell UK house?

This is a hard decision. We rented our house out for 5 years but then got our green cards and figured we weren't going back any time soon. We also figured we would need to spend some money shortly on re-decorating and replacing furniture/appliances etc so we decided just to sell. Little did we know that this was when property in the North of England was about to go on a tear after being left behind by the South for many years (this was in 2000). We sold our house in August 2000 for GBP 73,000. The next owners then sold it in January 2006 for GBP 225,000. That was painful to see!

Unfortunately the housing market in the US has fallen way behind that in the UK over the last 10 years, which will make it very expensive to move back to the UK (if we want to). I could almost buy a mobile home in my parents' vilage with the proceeds from my nice 3 bdrm house in Ohio.

Who knows what's going to happen in the future and owning real estate 4,000 miles away is not always easy. I would be tempted to keep the property at least until you are more settled in the US.
Old May 25th 2012, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trirod
This is a hard decision. We rented our house out for 5 years but then got our green cards and figured we weren't going back any time soon. We also figured we would need to spend some money shortly on re-decorating and replacing furniture/appliances etc so we decided just to sell. Little did we know that this was when property in the North of England was about to go on a tear after being left behind by the South for many years (this was in 2000). We sold our house in August 2000 for GBP 73,000. The next owners then sold it in January 2006 for GBP 225,000. That was painful to see!

Unfortunately the housing market in the US has fallen way behind that in the UK over the last 10 years, which will make it very expensive to move back to the UK (if we want to). I could almost buy a mobile home in my parents' vilage with the proceeds from my nice 3 bdrm house in Ohio.

Who knows what's going to happen in the future and owning real estate 4,000 miles away is not always easy. I would be tempted to keep the property at least until you are more settled in the US.
Yes I think it makes sense from the point of view of getting back on the ladder if you go back (we will be down a few rungs too).
Old May 26th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes I think it makes sense from the point of view of getting back on the ladder if you go back (we will be down a few rungs too).
Yeah, we too will either be down a rung or facing a large mortgage when we go back.
Old May 26th 2012, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Yeah, we too will either be down a rung or facing a large mortgage when we go back.
or both
Old May 26th 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

Well, we were very tempted to sell. The 20k profit was the net profit after taking off legal fees, stamp duty when we bought the place (10k!!), estate agent fees, renovations of course, etc. We also weren't going to ship any furniture, electrical items or bulky stuff so it would either be ebayed for next to nothign or freecycled or dumped.

I think that's not too bad for a net profit over 3 years. I know London has done well but we're in a nice and leafy but not trendy or central part of London. There's a ripple effect which has kept prices up but not the kind of increases you see in Chelsea and Kensington.

However, we just found out that the penalty for getting out of the last 2 years of our 5 year fixed rate is over 5000 quid so that changes things quite a bit and is basically throwing money away to the bank. We've told the buyer that we'll sell if he increases his offer by that much and given that he wants the house with everything then we'll see.

Otherwise I guess we'll wait at least two years, keep on paying down the mortgage and hope that the double dip recession doesn't whack house prices too much.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
Well, we were very tempted to sell. The 20k profit was the net profit after taking off legal fees, stamp duty when we bought the place (10k!!), estate agent fees, renovations of course, etc. We also weren't going to ship any furniture, electrical items or bulky stuff so it would either be ebayed for next to nothign or freecycled or dumped.

I think that's not too bad for a net profit over 3 years. I know London has done well but we're in a nice and leafy but not trendy or central part of London. There's a ripple effect which has kept prices up but not the kind of increases you see in Chelsea and Kensington.

However, we just found out that the penalty for getting out of the last 2 years of our 5 year fixed rate is over 5000 quid so that changes things quite a bit and is basically throwing money away to the bank. We've told the buyer that we'll sell if he increases his offer by that much and given that he wants the house with everything then we'll see.

Otherwise I guess we'll wait at least two years, keep on paying down the mortgage and hope that the double dip recession doesn't whack house prices too much.
That is likely a good decision. Just make sure that if you are eventually going to sell and remain in the US a long time, sell before 3 years after you move or sell after you leave the US without green cards or US citizenship.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
That is likely a good decision. Just make sure that if you are eventually going to sell and remain in the US a long time, sell before 3 years after you move or sell after you leave the US without green cards or US citizenship.
Why? We're on non-immig visas anyhow so no green cards or citizenshp for us.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you go for greencards, it'll make a difference to your taxes if you were to leave the US. Your tax situation while in the US is also global, but if you flog the house after leaving the US without ever having got a greencard you'd be in much better shape.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

People change their minds. Many on L1 visas require in their contract that the employer will apply for green cards within a specific period of time. Others didn't have that in their contract and decided that they would like to stay longer but couldn't get the employer to start the green card process or was started so late that time ran out (depends on EB classification) so they had to leave the US due to the maximum time limit allowed on a L1 visa.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
People change their minds. Many on L1 visas require in their contract that the employer will apply for green cards within a specific period of time. Others didn't have that in their contract and decided that they would like to stay longer but couldn't get the employer to start the green card process or was started so late that time ran out (depends on EB classification) so they had to leave the US due to the maximum time limit allowed on a L1 visa.
Not for us I'm afraid. There will definitely not be GC or USC until possibly after retirement which is still quite a way away.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not for us I'm afraid. There will definitely not be GC or USC until possibly after retirement which is still quite a way away.
There is no way to get a green card then. The one chance to get a green card is through employer sponsored EB classification. And without a green card, citizenship, or an employer sponsored job you can't live in the US. Some get a B2 visa at retirement to live in the US but can only live in the US for 6 months per year on a B2 visa.

Even a green card can be deemed abandoned if you live outside the US for more than a year so many become USCs before they leave just in case they want to return. However a green card is not automatically abandoned after one year and you have a right to plead your case before an immigration judge. Others live outside the US for several years and return and the POE officer admits them while presenting their green card and so I guess you could say they have not abandoned their green card (maybe not 100% legal but maybe also not 100% illegal).

Many had their green card and were told on the forum to naturalize before they left the US in case they wanted to return but said they have no desire to ever return to the US to live. Two years later, they are unhappy in the UK and are trying to figure out how to return to the US. Then they ask should they just enter the US on their green card or should they hire an immigration attorney to plead an abandonment case?

Last edited by Michael; May 27th 2012 at 12:05 pm.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

We're on G visas Michael. Different rules apply to most other visas.

Basically, we're in the US indefinitely - if job works out could be for the rest of my career - but won't be changing status. We also would lose a whole lot of benefits if we became usc or pc as no longer would be on expat/international package.
Old May 27th 2012, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We're on G visas Michael. Different rules apply to most other visas.

Basically, we're in the US indefinitely - if job works out could be for the rest of my career - but won't be changing status. We also would lose a whole lot of benefits if we became usc or pc as no longer would be on expat/international package.
You are right. I don't think the G visa is dual intent meaning the employer can't sponsor you for a green card. Recently we had a poster who was on a similar visa (not sure if it was the G visa but some government visa) and applied for asylum five years ago since he didn't want to return to his country and was granted an EAD (employment authorization document) while the case was under review. Recently his request was denied but now I believe he is in the appeal process.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Sell it, for reasons already mentioned, the main one being you need someone to keep an eye on it like a property agent and it's hard to be a long distance landlord.

I know tons of people here in Canada who've bought properties in Florida and Arizona who regretted it purely because of that.

If you're engaged in the business of being a rental agent and you have many properties then it makes more sense, but one property alone it's generally too much hassle from a long distance.

Unless of course you need some ties abroad to justify your non-immigrant status in the US, but I'm assuming you're an LPR.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Famous last words...that's what I thought/said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.