Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you move somewhere else?

Would you move somewhere else?

Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:07 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Not interested in moving anywhere else, if its not Britain or America.
Nor me. Lots of areas in those countires I wouldn't want to live in either.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I could quite happily live in Rep of Ireland,
Netherlands, UK, USA, Canada, Denmark, Norway..........

but that's about it really.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 2:56 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Brit'n'TX
well .... to cut a long story short .... we arrived June 2002 and my wife (she's Texan) got a job at Scott and White hospital in Temple .. we lived in an apartment in Temple for a year then moved to Belton, out near the lake ... surrounded by wildlife (even tame deer in the garden)

I35 bypasses Belton (thankfully) but it borders on Temple ...

I was about to ask you how you'd ended up in Belton too! My in-laws live in Killeen, which is not too far away. Brother-in-law lived in Belton for a while and all I remember is the lake, but not much else!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 4:52 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty open to moving elsewhere.

Been here in Texas for coming up 2 years. Its OK, but not so wonderful that I'd put up the shutters to moving anywhere else. Main reason for coming was to be close to one set of grandparents for our kids, and from that point of view its great, but it lacks a certain... something. As someone else said, I'd probably draw the line at Iraq, Afghanistan, most of North or "middle Africa", but would be quite keen on getting back to Asia, New Zealand, elsewhere in the US or possibly even southern Europe. From a family point of view I guess the most likely of those are elsewhere US or southern Europe, but not for a couple more years .
Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:58 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I could settle quite happily for a Carribean island

In truth though, I think I'd like at least a couple of homes (if I had the cash!). Lots of people here have a summer home here and a winter one in Hawaii. Six months here, six months there.

One day perhaps
Old Jun 29th 2004, 2:59 pm
Franklin

Default Re: Would you move somewhere else?

I would consider a move to Tucson, AZ … about 20 miles or so northwest … tucked into the Catalina Foothills would be nice. I like Scottsdale, but house prices there may have peaked and nearby Phoenix seems to have car/smog issues. Any good location in New Mexico or along the California coast would be, well “very wonderful� (borrowing from 2010).

The California coastline and the desert-rock scenery in Arizona are fantastic, imho. Just love it. Pimpbot is a very lucky guy to be living in such a place, and celebrating his one year anniversary there is something special. His pictures of his home area are just wonderful; I hope he posts more pictures.

Old Jun 29th 2004, 3:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
I would consider a move to Tucson, AZ … about 20 miles or so northwest … tucked into the Catalina Foothills would be nice. I like Scottsdale, but house prices there may have peaked and nearby Phoenix seems to have car/smog issues. Any good location in New Mexico or along the California coast would be, well “very wonderful� (borrowing from 2010).

The California coastline and the desert-rock scenery in Arizona are fantastic, imho. Just love it. Pimpbot is a very lucky guy to be living in such a place, and celebrating his one year anniversary there is something special. His pictures of his home area are just wonderful; I hope he posts more pictures.
I'm looking into the Deming NM area near the Florida Mountains (who knows why they're called the florida mountains????)
Land is cheap, it's the middle of the desert.....but 20 miles from the Mexican border, the tequila is good.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
This is my 12th house move since I left home all those years ago, and 2nd country move. I couldn't face going through it all again.

Guess my thoughts are meaningless ;-)

I've been in the same town since my parents brought me here in 1948 and renting the same apartment since 1975.

I am rootbound.

Rete
Old Jun 29th 2004, 4:12 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting that way already! I hate going over the bridge to leave the Island and always breath a sigh of relief when I see the welcome to the Cape sign on my way back!
Old Jun 29th 2004, 4:33 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by manc1976
I'm looking into the Deming NM area near the Florida Mountains (who knows why they're called the florida mountains????)
Land is cheap, it's the middle of the desert.....but 20 miles from the Mexican border, the tequila is good.
Mancs> Yoo, I hear ya. NM that is so “cool�, hot yes, but “dry heat� and tequila! Yeah. I was at a tequila bash in DC a month or so ago; a Mexican tequila promotion organization on I Street (“eye� street) and 18th Street had tequila tasting … on the same floor where I worked on a patent project. Boy, it was good! And free! They had so many different varieties, but I had to restrict myself to a just a few … it is powerful stuff particularly for someone who hardly drinks any alcohol. They explained the different varieties of tequila and how it is made. It was a very informative presentation.

Getting back on subject, yes I hear that the cost of living in NM is well below the national average. I love the kind of scenery found in AZ and NM. I would love to live/move to NM and AZ. If we could live in several places at once … if we could all be a Kwisatz Haderach with the ability to travel almost instanteously without moving (DUNE, Frank Herbert) or be that guy from Kpax. *LOL*

Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of places I would love to visit... but I wouldn't want to live there... I am very happy here.

Ash
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:47 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

If I was going to live in NM it would have to be Santa Fe for me. I don't think it's particularly "affordable" though with regard to house prices.. similar to here I think.

Good food though
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:58 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd love to live in New Zealand. Sounds silly because I haven't ever been there, but everything I've ever read or seen of the place looks like paradise.

If I HAD to live in a big city again I'd pick Toronto; it really is a beautiful city.

If I had to move right now in the US I'd like to try Georgia or Tennessee.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:58 pm
Howling at the Moon

Oh, as Florida is spanish for flowery/flowering/flowers I guess someone once thought the mountains looked flowery?

They were probably named when they were part of Mexico.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:41 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cuckoofrommars
I'd love to live in New Zealand. Sounds silly because I haven't ever been there, but everything I've ever read or seen of the place looks like paradise.

If I HAD to live in a big city again I'd pick Toronto; it really is a beautiful city.

If I had to move right now in the US I'd like to try Georgia or Tennessee.
I dunno- from my almost 2 years as a trasplanted Yankee in the GA/AL border area, the heat and especially the humidity are GOD AWFUL. The other 7 months of the year are wonderful, but hard to remember this time of year.

To those in central TX, don't miss bluebonnet (and all the millions of other wildflowers) season in the Central Texas Hill Country. I lived on Lake LBJ and Buchanon (near Burnet) and I still remember those early spring drives between Burnet- Llano- Austin. The granite domes combined with all those flowers (a Ladybird Johnson project- give credit where due) are one of the natural wonders of the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.