Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you be insulted...?

Would you be insulted...?

Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you be insulted...?

The USCIS is planning to change the citizenship test, and the English language bit will become more of a proper test. Applicants will have to talk about 2 photos and write about another, answering questions.

If they apply this test to those whose first language is English, such as Brits, Aussies and Canadians (and knowing the Americans, they will) would you feel patronised and insulted?

I would. Very.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

not really, it's their ball they can play with it how they see fit.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would you be insulted...?

Originally posted by Squirrel
The USCIS is planning to change the citizenship test, and the English language bit will become more of a proper test. Applicants will have to talk about 2 photos and write about another, answering questions.

If they apply this test to those whose first language is English, such as Brits, Aussies and Canadians (and knowing the Americans, they will) would you feel patronised and insulted?

I would. Very.
Not really, whatever it takes. When my husband did his test last Oct and they came to the 10 questions bit, he only had to do a couple. The woman tester said to him "obviously you can read and understand english". I guess it is such a struggle for some people to get to that point that they are just about ready to do anything for it all to be over.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by manc1976
not really, it's their ball they can play with it how they see fit.
So you don't think it's pointless? Surely even USCIS can tell a country where English is the native language from one where it isn't? Still nothing would surprise me with this lot.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you be insulted...?

I would. Very.
Even though someone's first language might be English, that doesn't mean their comprehension, vocabulary, spelling and grammar is automatically better than a non-native.

It's better to test all would be citizens on the same criteria.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:42 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

So you don't think it's pointless? Surely even USCIS can tell a country where English is the native language from one where it isn't? Still nothing would surprise me with this lot.
Not everyone with British (or presumably Canadian, Australian etc.) citizenship has English as their first language. Even some people born in the UK to non-anglophone parents grow up hearing nothing but their parents native language until they start school, the parents' attitude being that "the schools will sort them out". I once worked with an English woman who was married to an Iranian who was determined to speak nothing but Farsi to her baby for the first 5 years of his life, her idea being that the school would teach him English and he would grow up fully bilingual. She left before I had the chance to find out whether her theory worked in practice - I suspect he grew up a deeply confused kid!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Who says the questions will be in English ? They will probably be in american, a different langauge entirely.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Who says the questions will be in English ? They will probably be in american, a different langauge entirely.
What'cha tawkin' 'bout?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:34 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nxylas
to speak nothing but Farsi to her baby for the first 5 years of his life, her idea being that the school would teach him English and he would grow up fully bilingual. She left before I had the chance to find out whether her theory worked in practice - I suspect he grew up a deeply confused kid!

Brother in law did that with his kids - living in the US, spoke only chinese until they went to school. Chinese at home, at church, at playgroups, lived in a chinese area etc etc. Then went to school and wondered what the hell was going on - people speaka different language! They'd heard a bit on tv, but that was it. Must have been a tough few weeks at school, but doesn't seem to have left any real scars - he's 10 or 11 now, fully bilingual. Guess it was a bit easier for his younger siblings, but it still seems pretty brutal to me. We're trying to bring ours up with both languages from the start, but we're probably going to struggle cos we're not disciplined enough to strictly segregate the 2 - ie we both speak a bit of both languages to the kids, so they're more likely to confuse the 2 until they're a bit older. But it does seem more..."humane"....

As for the original question, surely the interviewing officer will have some flexibility to exercise common sense? They skipped half the questions in my interview because they looked at me and said "no worries on that, or that or that". would have loved to have seen the questions they skipped...
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

So you don't think it's pointless?
You didn't ask me if it was pointless, which I agree it totally is.

You asked if I'd be insulted, which I wouldn't be.

Having to take my driving test again was pointless, but I wasn't insulted.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

those tests are such a formatlity waste of time.

Has ANYONE in this entire country FAILED a naturalization and told to go home and forget about it and stay on your gc forever?

They're like DMV tests. 10 mins before -- you memorize how many feet you're supposed to park from the curb. And 2 days later -- you've already forgotten about it. Totally pointless.

-= nav =-
Old Jul 29th 2004, 1:27 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by supernav
you memorize how many feet you're supposed to park from the curb. And 2 days later -- you've already forgotten about it. Totally pointless.

-= nav =-
And here I was thinking you were supposed to park close to the curb. Just goes to show, you can't trust a foreigner.