British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Would you do something for me? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/would-you-do-something-me-190385/)

BrigieDarling Nov 11th 2003 4:22 pm

Would you do something for me?

1 Attachment(s)
Please, please, please feed the birds!

If you don't have a bird feeder then throw out a crust or two...

I grew my squirrel food for the winter and just about finished cleaning it out this morning. I grew gourds from the seeds inside the decorative ones from last year... and this year will do the same.

The larger "Bird house gourds" can be made into bird houses loved by chikadees in the spring!

Another bonus is that the vines give my puppy dog sadie shade all summer long too!

So can you spare some bread please!

effi Nov 11th 2003 4:28 pm

Re: Would you do something for me?

Originally posted by BrigieDarling

If you don't have a bird feeder then throw out a crust or two...

I grew my squirrel food for the winter and just about finished cleaning it out this morning. I grew gourds from the seeds inside the decorative ones from last year... and this year will do the same.

The larger "Bird house gourds" can be made into bird houses loved by chikadees in the spring!

Another bonus is that the vines give my puppy dog sadie shade all summer long too!

So can you spare some bread please!
I would love to, but am not going to. Did it when we first moved here, but unfortunately instead of getting just the odd bird, we got whole squadrons of them, they just crapped everywhere. My pool was full of bird doo, took too much time to clean it all up, so abandoned that idea. But I do advocate feeding them, just not in my yard.

BrigieDarling Nov 11th 2003 4:39 pm

Yes, I can see that happening!

It depends where you live I suppose... I'm kinda rural, but only get Blue Jays and Sparows mostly. (Monk Parrots in the summer) and a bunch of birds I don't know what they are!

:p

mrsm Nov 11th 2003 5:36 pm

1 Attachment(s)

We feed the birds & squirrels all the time. We get Cardinals, Bluejays, Juncos, Mourning Doves, the occasional Tufted Titmouse etc, etc .This is one pic we took last winter-

PrincessofWales Nov 11th 2003 5:40 pm

too right, I put water out for the birds in a bird bath.....who drinks the stuff...the bloody squirrels. Who scares the birds away from the bird house on our tree...the bloody squirrels.

The chipmunks are cute but drive my dog nuts....bunny rabbits have to be the cutest though...although my dog has a thing for their droppings which is not entirely healthy or to be encouraged!

doctor scrumpy Nov 11th 2003 6:18 pm

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
bunny rabbits have to be the cutest though...although my dog has a thing for their droppings which is not entirely healthy or to be encouraged!
Feed him Maltesers !

lil-lisa Nov 12th 2003 9:20 am

Least you all get animals n nice birds-- all i get are seagulls and pigeons. What type of bird is that red one --it's lovely

MrsLondon Nov 12th 2003 11:08 am

birds

The red bird is a cardinal.
Do people feed the birds in the summer? My mum feeds her birds (in UK) all year round, but I was surprised when I found out MIL only feeds in winter. I'd have thought that if you like seeing birds in your garden (and squirrels which she feeds too) nothing could be nicer than sitting outside in the summer with a cold drink 'watching the wildlife.'

mrsm Nov 12th 2003 1:29 pm

Re: birds

Originally posted by MrsLondon
nothing could be nicer than sitting outside in the summer with a cold drink 'watching the wildlife.'
We had a family of skunks here during the late spring, at dusk I would sit on the deck watching the mother and kits forage for bugs etc. We just stayed out of each others way! We have lots of chipmuncks & squirrels, we've also had deer, foxes and wild turkeys in the garden too.

doctor scrumpy Nov 12th 2003 1:39 pm

Can we feed the birds to the cats ?

MrsLondon Nov 12th 2003 2:43 pm

Originally posted by mrsm
We had a family of skunks here during the late spring, at dusk I would sit on the deck watching the mother and kits forage for bugs etc. We just stayed out of each others way! We have lots of chipmuncks & squirrels, we've also had deer, foxes and wild turkeys in the garden too.
Sounds like your garden should be declared a National Park! Did you have raccoons and possums too?

mrsm Nov 12th 2003 3:06 pm

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Sounds like your garden should be declared a National Park! Did you have raccoons and possums too?
No possum, but plenty of raccoons trying to get into the bins.
We live on the edge of a wood which has recently been turned over to the county as a nature reserve. There is a convent on the property & the nuns still live there, though we never see any of them traipsing through the woods :)

BrigieDarling Nov 12th 2003 6:05 pm

Originally posted by mrsm
We feed the birds & squirrels all the time. We get Cardinals, Bluejays, Juncos, Mourning Doves, the occasional Tufted Titmouse etc, etc .This is one pic we took last winter-
Awww I have the Cardinals too... And the doves! They sit in pairs on the railing of my deck! So pretty they are, one is kinda pink too! (No I didn't spray it like the squirrels I bleached white!)

BrigieDarling Nov 12th 2003 6:06 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Can we feed the birds to the cats ?

NO! ;)

mrsm Nov 12th 2003 6:17 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Awww I have the Cardinals too... And the doves! They sit in pairs on the railing of my deck! So pretty they are, one is kinda pink too! (No I didn't spray it like the squirrels I bleached white!)
Mourning Dove :)