Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you buy a Jeep Wrangler ???

Would you buy a Jeep Wrangler ???

Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:34 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you buy a Jeep Wrangler ???

Well would you ???

I need my own car big time and someone at work is selling an 8 year old one for $6k which would be a nice price for me.
2 things bother me - first its a jeep and second the soft top - not sure how it would cope with a Chicago winter.

Any comments appreciated
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you buy a Jeep Wrangler ???

Depends. I though about getting one as a beach machine. However, turns they are very expensive to run and have appalling gas consumption. As a plaything I would have one but not as a primary car.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:46 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Well would you ???

I need my own car big time and someone at work is selling an 8 year old one for $6k which would be a nice price for me.
2 things bother me - first its a jeep and second the soft top - not sure how it would cope with a Chicago winter.

Any comments appreciated

I guess it depends on whether you want to drive a very noisy vehicle that is a maintenance nightmare and has a terrible saftey record.. If so, buy it. If you dislike noisy cars prone to breakdown a lot...you might reconsider.
Though my younger brother swears they are babe magnets...if that's a factor
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:47 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Depends. I though about getting one as a beach machine. However, turns they are very expensive to run and have appalling gas consumption. As a plaything I would have one but not as a primary car.
Cheers
I drive about 40 miles a day to and from work so gas mileage is kind of relevant to me.
Reliability wise are they ok considering that they're jeeps and all ??
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The wifes cousin has one and the Cleveland winters aren't that different to the Chicago ones. She says if it ices up you just hit the inside and it all flys off. I didn't like it when I was inside it and it's not that safe, especially for highway driving.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Buy it they are great. They are fun and always bring a smile to your face!!!

I have one in Texas and it remains to be seen how they handled the heat with soft top! But friends in MI had one with no problems in the winter.

Yes they are noisy but that is part of their charm - but they certainly are noisy. As for reliability - not sure where the impression comes from that they are unreliable - unlike other Jeeps the Wrangler is bullet proof, easy to maintain/repair and parts are cheap and plentiful.

There were some stories about rear end collisions exploding fuel tanks - but other than that there are as stable as SUVs get.

Ours takes 30 bux of fuel and will do around 300 miles on that maybe 350 - the day we bought it i heard it was the most uneconomical SUV you can buy - but I didnt think it was too bad.

Basically its cheap and cheerful and a lot of fun - but it certainly isnt refined.

For you 6k you could get a Hyundai elantra that will never break down and be really economical - but where is the fun in that?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:15 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Well would you ???

Any comments appreciated

Unless you've got a wife and 4 kids to cart around I wouldn't consider getting something that big. There's no point. Especially if for the majority of the time it's just going to be you in it, driving to work, supermarket or whatever and back. I'd get something smaller and better on gas.
Why is the guy at work selling it anyway?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Unless you've got a wife and 4 kids to cart around I wouldn't consider getting something that big. There's no point. Especially if for the majority of the time it's just going to be you in it, driving to work, supermarket or whatever and back. I'd get something smaller and better on gas.
Why is the guy at work selling it anyway?

Do you know what a Jeep Wrangler is - you would struggle to get 2 kids into it!!??
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest pile of shit ever made ... great if you live near a dealership and are in a warm climate ...
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:21 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

If you lived near me and could go on the beach (like I do in my jeep) then I would say yes, for suburban driving, I would say buy a nice car.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
If you lived near me and could go on the beach (like I do in my jeep) then I would say yes, for suburban driving, I would say buy a nice car.
What are the beaches like in chicago ?????
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:25 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What are the beaches like in chicago ?????
and would you look like a dude with 2 surf boards strapped to the top?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:28 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Patrick
and would you look like a dude with 2 surf boards strapped to the top?
And I can see BigDavyG doing just that .....
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Biggest pile of shit ever made ... great if you live near a dealership and are in a warm climate ...
The wise Man has spoken
Thats just what my OH told me a few years ago when I was thinking about getting one also.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Oh yes they are a fun car....... driving to work everyday in a vehicle the size of a corn flake box, that rattles and shakes worse than a skeleton having a wank in a biscuit tin, has more breaks down's than an psychiatrists office and all the comfort of a Angolan prison cell.

Oh yes, the only thing I can think of that would be more fun than commuting to work in the cold everyday in a Jeep Wrangler is to sledgehammer toothpicks under my fingernails while dousing my testicles in a jar of sulphuric acid.

I wonder why the OP's work colleague is selling it?

Last edited by rushman; Mar 9th 2006 at 5:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.