Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would like information about San Diego

Would like information about San Diego

Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would like information about San Diego

mhh..don't know..why?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
mhh..don't know..why?
I spend 1/3 of the year there, and was just wondering if you guys had moved forward with your plans....
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Not really..we still try to make it here..we are all tired of moving..plus the older daughter is getting into year 8 in school and doing really well and has a group of nice friends in school. Hubby is happy in his job here still working for NATO..we only have one problem and thats housing..we just not able to buy a nice family home...and we are able to spend 350k..we talking about 700.000 Dollarsand cant find anything we would like to buy...don't want to spend that kind of money on a 3 bed ex council semi..we looking into different solutions..
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Not really..we still try to make it here..we are all tired of moving..plus the older daughter is getting into year 8 in school and doing really well and has a group of nice friends in school. Hubby is happy in his job here still working for NATO..we only have one problem and thats housing..we just not able to buy a nice family home...and we are able to spend 350k..we talking about 700.000 Dollarsand cant find anything we would like to buy...don't want to spend that kind of money on a 3 bed ex council semi..we looking into different solutions..
Ah, I see...good luck with everything!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still don't know why you were asking..
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Still don't know why you were asking..
OK - I was wondering which part of SD you had decided to buy in, and if you had discovered Roponggi yet.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok...no not really..still hope house will come down here..otherwise we will see what we are going to do..

See you
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

You might consider San Luis Opispo. Never heard of it: http://www.visitslo.com/

A lot cheaper than SD and slower paced.

Midway between LA and San Francisco. I've settled in SF and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Last edited by surly; Jul 25th 2007 at 1:30 am.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by surly
You might consider San Luis Opispo. Never heard of it: http://www.visitslo.com/

A lot cheaper than SD and slower paced.

Midway between LA and San Francisco. I've settled in SF and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Oooo SLO is lovely!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Like, Oh-ma-gawd, totally gnarly dude. They are, like, reaaaly friendly and all, like totally laid back and bitchin' you knooow.

California should be divided into two states: "Northern California" and "Mars".

Seriously, it never did anything for me. There is a stunning lack of culture and generally (generally), the Californians are pretty shallow and narcissistic. On the positive, having said that of the people and environment, California offers some of the most amazing natural sights. Redwoods, Shasta, Deserts, Beaches. There's also Disneyland, Hwy 1 drive, etc.

If you like year 'round heat and sunshine - it hits that mark (you will not believe this one: you actually get sick of the good weather after a while)

If you were to list out the things you really want from a place, that will give you a good idea of wether or not CA is a good choice.

Good luck
I'm always baffled by this lack of culture thing. Seems like one of these throwaway phrases that come up all the time. Repeated parrot like without any substance. Care to expand?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

I would highly recommend moving to San Diego, it is a beautiful place with beautiful weather, alot of new people down there as people have mentioned, the dining is superb, the beaches and attractions are fantastic, your girls I am sure will enjoy the beach life. There are only a few things you need to get over to really appreciate and enjoy life in CA, but this is pretty much the same as moving anywhere else in the world.

1) Americans can be a little shallow, but make the effort, get to know some expats and you will be fine.
2) Missing family at home.

The pound is stronger than its been in 30ish years, if you consider moving more north than SLO is also a great place, though alot smaller and getting busier as they develop it, one of my favorites places is Avila beach, great pier restaurant, but unfortunately its really been built up over the last few years and I do not like it so much anymore.

I'd suggest renting your place out in England and renting a house in SD for a couple of years.

Good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonyghiggins
I would highly recommend moving to San Diego, it is a beautiful place with beautiful weather, alot of new people down there as people have mentioned, the dining is superb, the beaches and attractions are fantastic, your girls I am sure will enjoy the beach life. There are only a few things you need to get over to really appreciate and enjoy life in CA, but this is pretty much the same as moving anywhere else in the world.

1) Americans can be a little shallow, but make the effort, get to know some expats and you will be fine.
2) Missing family at home.

The pound is stronger than its been in 30ish years, if you consider moving more north than SLO is also a great place, though alot smaller and getting busier as they develop it, one of my favorites places is Avila beach, great pier restaurant, but unfortunately its really been built up over the last few years and I do not like it so much anymore.

I'd suggest renting your place out in England and renting a house in SD for a couple of years.

Good luck.
Now...thats exactly the problem..if we would have a house here..we would not even thinking of going some where else again...we moved enough around in the last 12 years...about 8 times in 4 different countrys if I'm not mistaken. Living in suburb of London is just not cheap...what would 700.000 Dollar by my in SD?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now...thats exactly the problem..if we would have a house here..we would not even thinking of going some where else again...we moved enough around in the last 12 years...about 8 times in 4 different countrys if I'm not mistaken. Living in suburb of London is just not cheap...what would 700.000 Dollar by my in SD?
http://realestate.signonsandiego.com/ is your friend
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

It all depends on the location within San Diego, I have no clue, its normally all about school districts, if you have children which you do, you want the best schools, to go to the best schools you need to live in that area which the schools service, best schools = best areas generally and will add 100-200k on the price of a house (well where I live it does).

Check these out 700-800k range some nice places, though no clue on school areas.
http://yahoo.idx.prucalproperties.ne...axprice=800000
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tonyghiggins

Check these out 700-800k range some nice places, though no clue on school areas.
http://yahoo.idx.prucalproperties.ne...axprice=800000
Good search

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.