Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would like information about San Diego

Would like information about San Diego

Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Would like information about San Diego

What is it like living there..the good, the bad and the ugly...not interested in job and Healthcare issues...that would be all taken care of.
Just would like to know what life would/could be for a family of 4 with two girls 9 and 11.

Whats crime like, whats education like, whats shopping like, eating out...which areas are good and which to avoid..just any info would be very much appreciated...

Thanks
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would like information about San Diego

Nobody????
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:50 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Nobody????
Alright, I'll give it a go.

I used to live in Orange County which was about 70 miles from SD, so I haven't lived there but visited many times. In downtown SD there are always LOADS of Jarheads and Squids and other US Military types hanging out in the bars and everywhere else, lot of bases nearby. The shopping is excellent (but then so is most of coastal California) and so is eating out, there is an area called the gaslamp district which has more bars & restaurants than you can shake a stick at.
You haven't mentioned housing as a concern, I'll make a conservative estimate that within a 100 mile radius of SD except further east which is desert, housing is :scared: bloody pricey. Even for a crackerjack apartment. There is a lot to see and do in the area and north of there too, I must warn you Sea World does suck after about the 2nd or 3rd time.

Edit: My opinion here but, San Diego is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there I would rather live MUCH further north.

Last edited by cabritpop; Nov 9th 2006 at 10:59 am.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Alright, I'll give it a go.

I used to live in Orange County which was about 70 miles from SD, so I haven't lived there but visited many times. In downtown SD there are always LOADS of Jarheads and Squids and other US Military types hanging out in the bars and everywhere else, lot of bases nearby. The shopping is excellent (but then so is most of coastal California) and so is eating out, there is an area called the gaslamp district which has more bars & restaurants than you can shake a stick at.
You haven't mentioned housing as a concern, I'll make a conservative estimate that within a 100 mile radius of SD except further east which is desert, housing is :scared: bloody pricey. Even for a crackerjack apartment. There is a lot to see and do in the area and north of there too, I must warn you Sea World does suck after about the 2nd or 3rd time.

Edit: My opinion here but, San Diego is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there I would rather live MUCH further north.
Thanks for that...
I had a look at house prices and they are a bit high, compare to other places, but we live in suburb London...so the prices were not really a shock for me..

What is SD like crime wise and for children..is the area family friendly?

What are the people like in California?? Are they relaxed and easy going??
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:59 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Like, Oh-ma-gawd, totally gnarly dude. They are, like, reaaaly friendly and all, like totally laid back and bitchin' you knooow.

California should be divided into two states: "Northern California" and "Mars".

Seriously, it never did anything for me. There is a stunning lack of culture and generally (generally), the Californians are pretty shallow and narcissistic. On the positive, having said that of the people and environment, California offers some of the most amazing natural sights. Redwoods, Shasta, Deserts, Beaches. There's also Disneyland, Hwy 1 drive, etc.

If you like year 'round heat and sunshine - it hits that mark (you will not believe this one: you actually get sick of the good weather after a while)

If you were to list out the things you really want from a place, that will give you a good idea of wether or not CA is a good choice.

Good luck
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:09 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Like, Oh-ma-gawd, totally gnarly dude. They are, like, reaaaly friendly and all, like totally laid back and bitchin' you knooow.

California should be divided into two states: "Northern California" and "Mars".

Seriously, it never did anything for me. There is a stunning lack of culture and generally (generally), the Californians are pretty shallow and narcissistic. On the positive, having said that of the people and environment, California offers some of the most amazing natural sights. Redwoods, Shasta, Deserts, Beaches. There's also Disneyland, Hwy 1 drive, etc.

If you like year 'round heat and sunshine - it hits that mark (you will not believe this one: you actually get sick of the good weather after a while)

If you were to list out the things you really want from a place, that will give you a good idea of wether or not CA is a good choice.

Good luck
Heh!

I want to earn $350,000 but still be bankrupted by my mortgage.
I want a nose job, a boob job, and porcelain veneers.
I want to be an Actor.
I want to sink into the sea when the Big One hits.

SoCal, here I come!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:31 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are the crime figures, SD is number 59 in this list (you decide)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

I could write a hell of a long post on this but I won't, this MP3 just about sums up what the people are like in southern CA Woman calls 911 to complain about Burger King and I'm not joking.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the crime figures, SD is number 59 in this list (you decide)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

I could write a hell of a long post on this but I won't, this MP3 just about sums up what the people are like in southern CA Woman calls 911 to complain about Burger King and I'm not joking.
I can't believe how calm the 911 operator was

As far as San Diego goes, I have visited a couple of times, its a beatiful looking city, the downtown has really come on a lot and there is lots happening. Suburbs like La Jolla also very nice. Crime etc will be no worse than anywhere else. If you don't think the housing is too bad (I assume that you will be earning at least $300k a year), go for it. Me, no way I can afford to. I found homes very similar to our 300kish Florida home for between $900k and $1.1 million, and I'm not joking, the prices are really that bad as far as I can see.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:34 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I listened... :scared: but oddly enough, I'm not surprised...
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

can't help with specifics.....but, just a thought, you can't do the the currency conversion because once your here, you'll be earning dollars...much better to look at %...baring in mind that no credit history will make it expensive initially for any credit cards, mobile phones and utilities as well as car insurance...hell, cars just aren't cheap to run here.

You mentioned your medical insurance is covered, that's lucky...but is it an HMO or PPO? What's the co-pays, deductables, are prescriptions included, what about dental and eyeballs?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
can't help with specifics.....but, just a thought, you can't do the the currency conversion because once your here, you'll be earning dollars...much better to look at %...baring in mind that no credit history will make it expensive initially for any credit cards, mobile phones and utilities as well as car insurance...hell, cars just aren't cheap to run here.

You mentioned your medical insurance is covered, that's lucky...but is it an HMO or PPO? What's the co-pays, deductables, are prescriptions included, what about dental and eyeballs?
My husband works for NATO, were ever we go we have a international private health insurance, which covers everything for 90%...(very handy here in the UK) hospitalisation 100%..we also get the European amount on holidays and we get things like expatriation allowance, childcare allowance..the list goes on..I just cant see that the houses there are more expensive then over here, the may cost the same..but they are much bigger...forgot to mention that we dont pay for moves and dont need a green card either...

It wouldn't be for ever....

Just listend to the burger story...come on...that can,t be the norm...made me smile ...."you are here to protect me"....."from what, a dangerous burger?"

Last edited by eurotramp; Nov 10th 2006 at 8:29 am.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My husband works for NATO, were ever we go we have a international private health insurance, which covers everything for 90%...(very handy here in the UK) hospitalisation 100%..we also get the European amount on holidays and we get things like expatriation allowance, childcare allowance..the list goes on..I just cant see that the houses there are more expensive then over here, the may cost the same..but they are much bigger...forgot to mention that we dont pay for moves and dont need a green card either...
That's pretty cool....but having to pay 10% is still a lot of money to cough up if you have to....and housing, going to cost a lot to cool it down, so huge isn't always best
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:47 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Never lived in SD but I used to go there about once a month on business. It seems like a nice, large city with a hefty military presence (mostly Navy and Marine), outrageous housing prices, good restaurants and, perhaps most importantly, possibly the most perfect climate on earth. Every time I've been to SD, no matter the time of year, it's blindingly sunny and upper 70s F with a pleasant breeze. Gorgeous, gorgeous weather.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:55 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Never lived in SD but I used to go there about once a month on business. It seems like a nice, large city with a hefty military presence (mostly Navy and Marine), outrageous housing prices, good restaurants and, perhaps most importantly, possibly the most perfect climate on earth. Every time I've been to SD, no matter the time of year, it's blindingly sunny and upper 70s F with a pleasant breeze. Gorgeous, gorgeous weather.
I have visited the SD area, La Jolla, Laguna Beach, area several times. Personally, I find the area GORGEOUS. The weather is fantastic. I would love to live there. But the housing prices are astronomical. go and enjoy, you will probably never want to leave.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:06 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of friends who live in SD, they love it. High 60's to Mid 70's year round. Perfect weather. Its a pleasant place to bring up children and live an everyday life. If your not hoping to be over stimulated by culture and cultural pursuits this might be a good place for an overseas placement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.