Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worst & most expensive states for driving in.

Wikiposts

Worst & most expensive states for driving in.

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Worst & most expensive states for driving in.

Originally Posted by suzieque
My husband told me never to admit it was my fault even when it definately was which was pretty hard when I was on the wrong side of the road & had a head on collision when we were first here.....
Wow, lucky to be alive!

Your husband is right. I would not have any discussion at the scene of an accident save to assertain whether anyone needs emergency medical attention. Nothing about this is morally right or wrong, nor is it about fairness. It's about the other person's insurance company suing you and inflating allegations to maximize their recovery. They will be neither reasonable nor fair when they are coming after you for whatever they can get. You don't want to provide any ammunition to help them do this.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Wow, lucky to be alive!

Your husband is right. I would not have any discussion at the scene of an accident save to assertain whether anyone needs emergency medical attention. Nothing about this is morally right or wrong, nor is it about fairness. It's about the other person's insurance company suing you and inflating allegations to maximize their recovery. They will be neither reasonable nor fair when they are coming after you for whatever they can get. You don't want to provide any ammunition to help them do this.
I think not admitting it's your fault is a requirement by some insurance companies. In the UK our company's insurance required us to do this as part of the policy.

-tom
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think not admitting it's your fault is a requirement by some insurance companies. In the UK our company's insurance required us to do this as part of the policy.

-tom
Same here, If I'd had an accident and admitted fault at the scene, my insurance would have been invalid.

I was a passenger in a car a couple of months back and rear ended a minivan at a red light (the driver, my father in law, completely missed the lights). The first words out of my mouth were "don't accept responsibility to them!".

What were the first words out of his mouth when he approached the other car..... "My fault!".

I have never been afraid driving my car but some people over here definitely put me on edge!!!

I'm wordering if the worst state to drive in is The United State(s)!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Our insurance policy (the part we have to carry in the car) also has written on it in nice big bold letters not to admit fault.

Ash
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Sibsie, I completely agree about the RED indicators. My favourite ones are the cars whose brake lights actually flash rather than having seperate lights for the indicators.... Whoever thought that one up isn't playing with a full deck!
I don't see any objection to this system. In fact on many modern European cars there is a tiny amber signal surrounded by a much larger red brake light in the same lens assembly, and in bright daylight it's actually quite difficult to make out the flashing amber signal when the brakes are applied at the same time. You don't get that problem with combined brake/turn signals.

There is another minor advantage on those cars with twin brake/signal lights each side. If one of the two bulbs blows, you still have both a brake light and a turn signal on that side of the car, just half the size. Most cars wired for independent signals only have a single turn signal bulb, so if it blows you loose the signal that side entirely.

By the way, combined brake/turn signals were permitted on British cars up until 1965, so red indicators aren't a purely American system.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
I don't see any objection to this system. In fact on many modern European cars there is a tiny amber signal surrounded by a much larger red brake light in the same lens assembly, and in bright daylight it's actually quite difficult to make out the flashing amber signal when the brakes are applied at the same time. You don't get that problem with combined brake/turn signals.
Completely agree with the first point. I can't remember what car it is but, yeah... they have the stupid little yellow lights in the middle of the big red one.. That annoys me too!

The problem I have with the cars where the break lights themselves flash... So, when a car turns (and the driver actually decides to indicates), one brake light is solid while the other flashes...

There is another minor advantage on those cars with twin brake/signal lights each side. If one of the two bulbs blows, you still have both a brake light and a turn signal on that side of the car, just half the size. Most cars wired for independent signals only have a single turn signal bulb, so if it blows you loose the signal that side entirely.
So we agree with each other then? Combined brake lights and indicators are complete crap!

By the way, combined brake/turn signals were permitted on British cars up until 1965, so red indicators aren't a purely American system.
The point is that they got rid of them in Britain. The USA still has them. What did the Brits realize in 1965 that the Yanks are yet to figure out.

On a completely different subject... My car had been doing some funny things recently, so I took to the garage today to be fixed....

Guess what, I've been driving with only one of my four brakes working 100% since it passed its inspection (MOT equivelancy) in June. Thank god I changed garages!!
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Guess what, I've been driving with only one of my four brakes working 100% since it passed its inspection (MOT equivelancy) in June. Thank god I changed garages!!
nice....
Old Sep 4th 2004, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

The problem I have with the cars where the break lights themselves flash... So, when a car turns (and the driver actually decides to indicates), one brake light is solid while the other flashes...

So we agree with each other then? Combined brake lights and indicators are complete crap!
Er, no.......

I was saying that I don't see a problem with the common-bulb arrangement and that where the comnbination brake/turn signals use two bulbs (wired parallel behind the red lens) there is a minor advantage of still having a functioning turn signal even if one filament blows.

Guess what, I've been driving with only one of my four brakes working 100% since it passed its inspection (MOT equivelancy) in June.
How far out were the others? As about 80% of braking effort is on the front wheels (when driving forwards! ) if the front brakes were low on efficiency it would probably have been noticeable. And if the two front brakes weren't reasonably well matched in braking force, you would have noticed it pulling badly to one side.

Last edited by PBC_1966; Sep 4th 2004 at 8:19 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

How far out were the others? As about 80% of braking effort is on the front wheels (when driving forwards! ) if the front brakes were low on efficiency it would probably have been noticeable. And if the two front brakes weren't reasonably well matched in braking force, you would have noticed it pulling badly to one side.
I'm not in a state of mind to talk about the lights because I'm kind of hung-over this morning.

It was pulling to the right big time. The front drivers side brake disk was actually cracked with no pads left and the rear drivers side was not working at all (I think I got sold a lemon). The cars body and engine is great but the brakes were complete crap... $800 later , the brakes are now fantastic!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

I don't see any objection to this system...
If you lived with it daily, I suspect you would.

Is he turning? Is he braking? Is it a combination of the two? Or is one of the brake lights just out?...With the style of driving in the US (brake tapping on highways, failing to signal, etc.) , I am amazed that combination brake/turning signals are still legal here.

As for yellow indicators surrounded by a brake light - fine, that may be unsafe too, that's a separate issue.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
If you lived with it daily, I suspect you would.
I have lived with it daily when I lived in Nebraska.

One side flashing: Turning
Both sides on solid: Braking
One side on, other side flashing: Braking & turning simultaneously.

I don't see how that can be misinterpreted.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I have lived with it daily when I lived in Nebraska.

One side flashing: Turning
Both sides on solid: Braking
One side on, other side flashing: Braking & turning simultaneously.

I don't see how that can be misinterpreted.
Nebraska: little traffic, long straight roads and slow driving (in the cities too). I've lived on the prairies myself.

Take any east coast metro area: 12 lanes of traffic, 75 miles an hour bumper to bumper, multiple lane changes occurring simultaneously on all sides, more often than not you can't see both sides of the vehicle that is either turning or braking. The split second of ambiguity of red turn/brake lights is something that - in my opinion - is unecessary and can't be afforded from a safety perspective.