Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worst & most expensive states for driving in.

Wikiposts

Worst & most expensive states for driving in.

Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:30 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst & most expensive states for driving in.

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it depends on the state, but then again, there are plenty of knuckles driving around maine...
and there was that big accident that happened last year in the market in california, but I don't know if they did anything about it afterwards...
surprised Mich. isn't in the top 10 for most expensive states..........
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a wonder they're so bad over here when the drivers license is so easy to get.

I passed my test in May in Queens, I just drove around the block, parallel parked and did a three point turn. It can't of taken longer than 5 minutes.

At least they failed the girl in front of me who went to pull away but crashed into the car in front of her!

-tom
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:17 am

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
... parallel parked and did a three point turn ...
Wow.. you got the extended test!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I took my WA driving test a few weeks ago.

I made a complete pigs ear of the reverse round a corner, mounted the kerb (twice) while parallel parking, failed to stop at a Stop sign, and completely forgot to use a turn lane while turning left - I passed with 90%
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

bodmin13 will become famous soon enough

Why do people drive down the freeway with 1 leg hanging out of the window and kids climbing all over the vehicle? That shocked me when we were in VA.
I am surprised that CA ain't higher on that list, you should try driving into LA, it is definetly an eye opener. You wonder how some of these people got there licenses.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

My pet hate with driving here is those flaming red indicators. Why can't they be amber which makes them far easier to see.[/QUOTE]

Agreed amber or orange is easier to see, unless of course youre like my hubby .. colour blind, he says they all look the same to him (not that brake lights flash) ohh and orange and red flashers are fun, I'm now used to shouting the colour as we come to them just so he knows
My only comment about insurance is BLOODY HELL !! how do you afford a car in those states ??
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

The indicator thing drives me NUTS too and the driving shocks the hell out of me every day, never more so than the other night....

Long story short, a couple of weeks ago I am driving to work in very heavy traffic at around 8.15am... lady in front of me is driving a Tahoe and as I move off after her, she suddenly rolls back and I hit her. We get out and there is no damage to either car, so we say our goodbyes and go on our way. About 2 miles down the road I notice her pulling in, don't think anything of it and continue on my merry way... Get home 2 nights ago and have a letter from the Memphis Police "Hit and Run" Department thinking what the hell is this... it referes to this incident so I call them and the cop comes out to my house at bloody midnight! Anyways, I explain the situation to him and he is pissed off as I am sure he has better things to do, but infomrs me that he has to give ME a ticket as in TN if you hit someone from the rear it is always your fault, even if they roll into you LOL.

Anyways, turns out 6 days after the bump this young 18 year old decides she is highly traumatized and as we had not exchanged insurance details, calls the police up and tells them I hit her and drove off.... cop said it was laughable as he knows the traffic on that road and how practically impossible it would be for me to have done such a thing. Anyways, I have called my insurance company and we are now awaiting her "story"..... Sickening though, as I have to go to court now on Oct 15 about this bloody ticket. Course I could just pay it, which I will have to ultimately anyway, but I want the facts to be down on paper somewhere.. Grrrrrrrrrrrr..... as my colleagues said to me - Welcome to America yet again. LOL.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:12 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
... in TN if you hit someone from the rear it is always your fault, even if they roll into you LOL..
Maybe you should reverse everywhere.

"Officer, they drove into my rear!"
Old Sep 1st 2004, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

... he has to give ME a ticket as in TN if you hit someone from the rear it is always your fault, even if they roll into you LOL...
There are some half truths here. If you hit someone in the rear, it is your fault. That rule is common in many jurisdictions, incidentally. However, as you describe it, this person hit you, in which case it doesn't matter whether they were travelling forwards, backwards, sideways or upside down, you did not rear end them, they hit you.

Tell your side in court, don't assume defeat, consider hiring an attorney.

Incidentally, 18 year olds and after-accident changes of mind are not at all uncommon. It is an understudied phenomenon whereby kids who have been in accidents strangely start to see things in a whole new light after talking to their barrack-room lawyer friends and relatives. The judge will have seen it all before.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Sibsie. Remind me never to go into Rockport if your in- laws are on the road. I never go into Boston except if I really have to go to Logan Airport to pick up/drop off someone. Just hate being behind an old geezer going at 20mph in a 40 mph zone. Always hope they will pull off, they do, but only after sudden braking and no indicators.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:17 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally Posted by joto
Sibsie. Remind me never to go into Rockport if your in- laws are on the road. I never go into Boston except if I really have to go to Logan Airport to pick up/drop off someone. Just hate being behind an old geezer going at 20mph in a 40 mph zone. Always hope they will pull off, they do, but only after sudden braking and no indicators.

I saw a cop driving around on a Harley yesterday...on the sidewalk...

I guess he'll use the Republican National Convention as his excuse for that too.

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Lesley... After I passed my driving test and started driving around by myself my husband told me quite a few times 'no matter how minor the accident or even if they leave the scene ALWAYS call the cops and just let them know before you leave' Good advice I guess. Some people are unbelivable... I remember a couple of years back seeing a story on the news in the UK where a new york bus had just left its depot (empty except for the driver) and it got into an accident... something like 96 people claimed to have been on board and hurt... some people will do anything for a few $$

Ash
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:35 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The indicator thing drives me NUTS too and the driving shocks the hell out of me every day, never more so than the other night....

Long story short, a couple of weeks ago I am driving to work in very heavy traffic at around 8.15am... lady in front of me is driving a Tahoe and as I move off after her, she suddenly rolls back and I hit her. We get out and there is no damage to either car, so we say our goodbyes and go on our way. About 2 miles down the road I notice her pulling in, don't think anything of it and continue on my merry way... Get home 2 nights ago and have a letter from the Memphis Police "Hit and Run" Department thinking what the hell is this... it referes to this incident so I call them and the cop comes out to my house at bloody midnight! Anyways, I explain the situation to him and he is pissed off as I am sure he has better things to do, but infomrs me that he has to give ME a ticket as in TN if you hit someone from the rear it is always your fault, even if they roll into you LOL.
<<snip>>
Could it be that the distance between you and the vehicle in front was very small?

I usually try to leave a fair distance of at least five feet between me and the vehicle in front just in case the vehicle in front rolls backwards (especially if that vehicle is manual and we're on an upwards incline).

NC Penguin
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I usually try to leave a fair distance of at least five feet between me and the vehicle in front just in case the vehicle in front rolls backwards (especially if that vehicle is manual and we're on an upwards incline).
Problem is, most cars ain't manual, so you wouldn't expect clutch control issues...
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Worst & most expensive states for driving in.

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Lesley... After I passed my driving test and started driving around by myself my husband told me quite a few times 'no matter how minor the accident or even if they leave the scene ALWAYS call the cops and just let them know before you leave' Good advice I guess. Some people are unbelivable... I remember a couple of years back seeing a story on the news in the UK where a new york bus had just left its depot (empty except for the driver) and it got into an accident... something like 96 people claimed to have been on board and hurt... some people will do anything for a few $$

Ash

My husband told me never to admit it was my fault even when it definately was which was pretty hard when I was on the wrong side of the road & had a head on collision when we were first here.....

I think definately good to appear in traffic court and plead your case as I only got a small fine & driving probation for 6 mths which was no prob.
Now traffic court in Arkansas is another story, I couldn't believe how many people there were, you took a number like at the delicounter!!! and then told them your name and number then sat with what seemed a few hundred others until number was called then you walked to the front & talked to the judge. It was a zoo I can tell you.
Sue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.