Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worst city in the US

Worst city in the US

Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst city in the US

Originally Posted by Maz
I didn't realise Milwaukee had a bad reputation. I loved it when I went there. Of course that did include a tour of the Miller brewery.

Friends of ours live there and say it has some wonderful, smaller neighbourhoods, very varied and culturally diverse. In a good way. And of course there's nothing quite like being in Speedway, IN on Memorial Day weekend. Yes, I have walked down Georgetown Road in a chequered flag bikini with a beer, in anticipation of the Indy 500 on that weekend. Good times!
Maybe overlooked is a better description than a bad rap? Afterall, few say - I'm going on vacation ... to Indianapolis!!!! Doesn't make it a bad place.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Is town planning even a recognised degree here?
Yes, it is.

Portland, Oregon, is one of the most heavily planned and regulated cities. We in Austin keep trying but our state Legislature is very conservative so tries to bat down whatever it can. Nevertheless, we have roadways that are designated as scenic corridors (no billboards or gaudy signs), line of sight paths to the Capitol building which cannot be obstructed, and we are considering ordinances that control what can be built alone the Lady Bird Johnson/Town Lake/Colorado River as it flows through the city. We also are considering a McMansion ordinance because there are a number of people doing teardowns in charming cottage neighbourhoods and sticking up mammoth forgettable dwellings, so that they can live in a Big House closer in. There are several "historic" overlays.

The down side to this is that these ordinances and restrictions come under fire from property rights advocates, and these are very well represented in the US and *definitely* in Texas. One example is that every neighbourhood can apply for the right to a neighbourhood vote to ban people parking on their own front lawns.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:56 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Places I've been to, but you don't even want to bother with:

Fresno, California - hot as Hades (45C in summer is standard) or tule fogs in winter that shut everything down for weeks at a stretch (not that there is anything to do anyway).

Midland-Odessa, Texas - Has someone dropped the ugly bomb on that place?

Fortuna, California - in a word, toxic.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

In Britain you can get the book of Crap Towns parts I and II Wonder if there is a US equivalent?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Having travelled over most of this great country I had better give my two penny worth

My top ten, bad being # 1.

Camden NJ
El Paso TX
Miami FL (yes I know a few of you live there but do you see the sleazy parts a lot ?)
Jersey City NJ.
Detroit MI
Cleveland OH
Birmingham AL
Lawrence MA
Chicago IL.
New Haven CT.

Now my top ten best

Portland OR.
Saratoga NY
Concord NH
Prescot AZ
Dodge City KS
Bangor ME
Monpelier VT
Ocala FL
Savanna GA
Shreveport LA.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:02 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Which leads me to repeat a post I made earlier - DAK:

I often wonder whether American cities actually have a town panning department.

Is town planning even a recognised degree here?
Bill Bryson had some interesting comments on similar acts of architectural desecration in the UK. What about the carbuncle or whatever Prince Charles made a few years back?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:51 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a new nominee: Washington DC. I lived there for four years in the mid nineties:

1. Bizarre, hamstrung government structure means that nothing ever gets done and the services in general are terrible. For example, we had several giant snow storms while I was there and each time we simply had to wait until the snow melted to move our car. In four years, our street was never plowed. Also, trash pick-up was sporadic at best, the roads were horribly maintained and the parks (outside of the Mall) are generally filthy. The quality of life is basically terrible if you live in the city, which is ridiculous given the astronomical DC income and sales taxes (real estate taxes are pretty low, however).

2. Huge racial and class problems. The city is largely poor and black (NE, SE, most of SW), but all of the nice sections and better suburbs are monochromatically white and rich (most of NW). The DC government exacerbates the problem by seeing everything (and speaking about everything) through the prism of race. Voting is done primarily along racial lines, all planning decisions are done largely on the basis of race etc, etc. People are driven apart: to a greater extent than any other US city I've lived, it's really two cities. The city has palpable racial tension at all times.

3. DC residents elected, and then re-elected a mayor after he had been videotaped smoking crack with prositutes. His response on camera: "bitch set me up!" Lovely.

4. The Metro goes everywhere except, bizarrely, Georgetown. After all, why have public transportation go where people actually live or want to go? :curse:

5. The suburbs are largely soulless planned communities with all of the personality of a 1982 strip mall. There are exceptions but most of it is endless tract developments without meaningful town centers.

6. Crime, crime and more crime. Huge murder problem. My friends had two cars stolen (in a fairly nice neighborhood) in six months. The city streets after dark are more than a little edgy in many parts of the city.

7. Ancient road and highway system means traffic problems are absurd for such a relatively small city. The streets in the city are based on a system of squares which may have worked in the horse-and-buggy era, but are disastrous for cars. The beltway is essentially a giant parking lot at all times and the Dulles access road is possibly the most bizarre and wasteful highway ever constructed (empty, free lanes to the airport only, all local lanes are always packed and feature high tolls). the city was clearly designed as a propagandistic showpiece, not as a place to actually live and work.

8. The worst taxis in the US: it's based on an arcane "zone" system rather than the meter system that every other city in the world uses. I won't get into particulars, but the zone system basically ensures that you're going to be ripped off on any cab ride. Also, the cabs themselves are filthy wrecks, the drivers are rude assholes and fares are doubled at the first hint of snow (legally). Worst of all, the cabbies are allowed to pick up more than one party at a time. I'm not joking: late at night, you often end up forced to share a cab with complete strangers often going to a place nowhere near where you live.

DC does have fantastic museums and the whole "seat of power" feeling you get around the governmental offices is certainly impressive, but as a place to live and conduct everyday business, it's a disaster.

Last edited by Hiro11; Sep 19th 2007 at 1:00 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally
In Britain you can get the book of Crap Towns parts I and II Wonder if there is a US equivalent?
yep, i think it's called 'the worst towns in the usa'...i think crap is much more descriptive
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I have a new nominee: Washington DC. I lived there for four years in the mid nineties:

1. Bizarre, hamstrung government structure means that nothing ever gets done and the services in general are terrible. For example, we had several giant snow storms while I was there and each time we simply had to wait until the snow melted to move our car. In four years, our street was never plowed. Also, trash pick-up was sporadic at best, the roads were horribly maintained and the parks (outside of the Mall) are generally filthy. The quality of life is basically terrible if you live in the city, which is ridiculous given the astronomical DC income and sales taxes (real estate taxes are pretty low, however).

2. Huge racial and class problems. The city is largely poor and black (NE, SE, most of SW), but all of the nice sections and better suburbs are monochromatically white and rich (most of NW). The DC government exacerbates the problem by seeing everything (and speaking about everything) through the prism of race. Voting is done primarily along racial lines, all planning decisions are done largely on the basis of race etc, etc. People are driven apart: to a greater extent than any other US city I've lived, it's really two cities. The city has palpable racial tension at all times.

3. DC residents elected, and then re-elected a mayor after he had been videotaped smoking crack with prositutes. His response on camera: "bitch set me up!" Lovely.

4. The Metro goes everywhere except, bizarrely, Georgetown. After all, why have public transportation go where people actually live or want to go? :curse:

5. The suburbs are largely soulless planned communities with all of the personality of a 1982 strip mall. There are exceptions but most of it is endless tract developments without meaningful town centers.

6. Crime, crime and more crime. Huge murder problem. My friends had two cars stolen (in a fairly nice neighborhood) in six months. The city streets after dark are more than a little edgy in many parts of the city.

7. Ancient road and highway system means traffic problems are absurd for such a relatively small city. The streets in the city are based on a system of squares which may have worked in the horse-and-buggy era, but are disastrous for cars. The beltway is essentially a giant parking lot at all times and the Dulles access road is possibly the most bizarre and wasteful highway ever constructed (empty, free lanes to the airport only, all local lanes are always packed and feature high tolls). the city was clearly designed as a propagandistic showpiece, not as a place to actually live and work.

8. The worst taxis in the US: it's based on an arcane "zone" system rather than the meter system that every other city in the world uses. I won't get into particulars, but the zone system basically ensures that you're going to be ripped off on any cab ride. Also, the cabs themselves are filthy wrecks, the drivers are rude assholes and fares are doubled at the first hint of snow (legally). Worst of all, the cabbies are allowed to pick up more than one party at a time. I'm not joking: late at night, you often end up forced to share a cab with complete strangers often going to a place nowhere near where you live.

DC does have fantastic museums and the whole "seat of power" feeling you get around the governmental offices is certainly impressive, but as a place to live and conduct everyday business, it's a disaster.
You forgot one thing-it was built in a swamp!!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:48 pm
Sursum corda

Portlands a dump too, the outskirts are nice, though.

How about cities that should be great but totally fail? I was in Burlington VT last month. It's pretty much a textbook example of how to absolutely ruin an incredibly beautiful site for a city.

- Lake Champlain is gorgeous and yet the city makes essentially no use of its amazing waterfront. All of the tourist areas, shopping districts and restaurants are well away from the shore while factories, depots and hideous warehouses crowd the lake.

- Burlington's situated on a steep hill. On a clear day, you can see straight across the Lake to New York State. It's almost Alpine in its beauty. Yet most buildings seem to not take advantage of the view.

- The main downtown street is extremely "Disneyfied" and packed with awful, glitzy restarants and flashy architecture left over from the 80s. It's totally against everything that Vermont actually stands for (natural beauty, lack of commercialization and simple, thrifty charm).

- The poverty there is somewhat shocking in a state that prides itself as being the most "progressive". Some of the neighborhoods right next to the main tourist drag are almost Dickensian.

Overall, a wreck of a city. It should study Madison WI or Bend, OR for an example of how to do a small "outdoorsy city" right.
The thing is 30 years ago when I was at college there (UVM), it was just a sleepy sort of college town with a few boutique head shops started by hippies, but other than that pretty "normal"-there was even a diner on the main street. Obviously those yuppie types "from away" as the natives say,are the bad guys. The irony is that those same people who moved there for the good life, to get away from the rat race,have apparently tried to create another version of it. Makes me sad to hear that, because it is situated in a lovely spot.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:03 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Burlington VT last month. It's pretty much a textbook example of how to absolutely ruin an incredibly beautiful site for a city....Lake Champlain is gorgeous and yet the city makes essentially no use of its amazing waterfront. All of the tourist areas, shopping districts and restaurants are well away from the shore while factories, depots and hideous warehouses crowd the lake.
But to be fair, the factories were built first, and needed to be close to the lake to get water and to have a place to dump all the crap into...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Actually, the "America's most dangerous City" moniker was earned using stats that don't tell the whole story. In order to understand what I mean you must understand how the city is set up.

St. Louis City proper is really a city within a city. The original City defined itself seperately from St. Louis County back in the 1800's when St. Louis County was very rural. So now we have St. Louis "City" and St. Louis "County" which are legally completely different entities. The city has a population of 300 some odd thousand out of a total Metro (City+ County) population of nearly three million. The numbers Ray quoted were taken from the "City" crime figures. Breaking it down even further, the VAST majority of St. Louis City's violent crime takes place in "North" City, (AKA "The Hood") an area comprised of neighborhoods located in the Northern Third of the City.

And yes, this small area has enough violent crime to carry the other two thirds of the City to the top of the most violent list.

Stay out of North City and St. Louis is a very safe place.
My brother in law and family live in St. Louis....well actually they live some 40 km west in a suburb called O'Fallon or Dardenne Prairie (can't tell which one...they are all full of McMansions and people scared to go to STL). I visited STL in April 2001 and you are right, the City of St. Louis north of the main east west axis road (can't remember the name of it, but Washington University and the big park with the zoo front on to it), is pretty scary. The area around the bus station is a burnt out looking area even in the daytime. ESL is worse, with its main claim to fame being strip clubs, drugs and prostitution.

The City itself has lost more than 50% of its population since 1950. This plus its high crime rate are nothing to brag about. To claim that the crime stats are misleading as the City of St. Louis is only part of the entire St. Louis conurbation doesn't cut it with me. Basically, the City of St. Louis, and in particular its north 1/2 are rough and crime-ridden.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:04 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
My brother in law and family live in St. Louis....well actually they live some 40 km west in a suburb called O'Fallon or Dardenne Prairie (can't tell which one...they are all full of McMansions and people scared to go to STL). I visited STL in April 2001 and you are right, the City of St. Louis north of the main east west axis road (can't remember the name of it, but Washington University and the big park with the zoo front on to it), is pretty scary. The area around the bus station is a burnt out looking area even in the daytime. ESL is worse, with its main claim to fame being strip clubs, drugs and prostitution.

The City itself has lost more than 50% of its population since 1950. This plus its high crime rate are nothing to brag about. To claim that the crime stats are misleading as the City of St. Louis is only part of the entire St. Louis conurbation doesn't cut it with me. Basically, the City of St. Louis, and in particular its north 1/2 are rough and crime-ridden.

Why doesn't that cut it with you? It's the truth! The North side (and some parts of the South side, drag the rest of the City down when it comes to violent crime stats. The Southwest part of the city where I grew up and lived until 4 years ago is as safe as McMansion Suburbiaville where your BIL lives.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Lawrence MA

Now my top ten best

Bangor ME
Lawrence, I agree is a shit hole, but they are trying to spruce it up, ain't working...would add parts of jamaica plain, dorchester and rochester to the list for mass as well.

And Bangor, that's a surprise, it's, well a bit nothing, certainly improved loads over the last year or so, especially the water front, but not that much...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:22 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

2. Huge racial and class problems. The city is largely poor and black (NE, SE, most of SW), but all of the nice sections and better suburbs are monochromatically white and rich (most of NW). The DC government exacerbates the problem by seeing everything (and speaking about everything) through the prism of race. Voting is done primarily along racial lines, all planning decisions are done largely on the basis of race etc, etc. People are driven apart: to a greater extent than any other US city I've lived, it's really two cities. The city has palpable racial tension at all times..
Have you been to memphis?

it may be worse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.