British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Worse trip to UK ever. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/worse-trip-uk-ever-419551/)

Patrick Hasler Jan 17th 2007 12:34 am

Worse trip to UK ever.

We just got home from our worst UK trip ever.

I didn't allow for my Dad dying on Boxing day. Finances were low due to Christmas. I had to get to work again early to earn fare etc. I had been driving all night to avoid snow and ice the Sunday night before our flight and get to JFK by 04.30am.
Got to check in.... found Sadie's car seat had been left in the car.. back on the airtrain to get the f**kin thing.
Once booked in down to the McDonalds in Terminal 3 for brekfast, stood in the only line for service for about 30 minutes, the sat down to find the breakfast muffin was burned black, took it back to be told it was normal :mad: Lost my temper and told the manager he ran the wrost Mcd's on Earth.
Arrive at Avis Heathrow (we always rent from there) told we had not paid for insurance, ... we had but the manager wouldn't agree to our online details. After standing there for 30 minutes and saying I would stay there untill my Son could get there to pick us up a kind lady got us a cup of tea and found us a Ford Fiesta for the price we had agree'd on (fully insured) it was a bit cramped but we got in and set off north.
We arrived in Daventry at 11.30pm UK time and I had to be at my Dad's funeral in Northampton 11 hours later.
It didn't really hit me that he was really dead till I saw that coffin :(
There was a conflict between us and other people after just 2 days, ..... a case of interfering in our lives too much and advising me that I didn't really want to live in the USA and insults being cast at Kate for being American, not really from our hosts but from others.
Comes our return flight and we board the Virgin Atlantic 747 on time to be pushed off the stand 30 minutes late, standing on the tarmac for an hour before being told engine number 2 had failed !!!! ........ At this information I would in the past have got right off that plane, but we were so worn out we decided to stay along with all the others who wanted to get across the ocean asap. The plane went back to the stand and repairs took 3 f**kin hours, they tested the engine 3 times on the ground then took off 4 hours late and decided to test it several times again as we circled Heathrow :scared:
I can be very un-nerving to hear an engine roar, then shut down a few times after you have just taken off. After the in-flight test we set out toward the USA, landing 4 hours late and finding an ice strom hed cut off our route home, causing us to stay at a motel in New Paltz were our so called 'Free Continental Breakfast turned out to be coffee, mini donuts and some stale cereal.
We got home at 11.00am to get a call from the guy who owns the truck I drive telling me I am booked on a flight to Atlanta tomorrow :scared: NOT REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO FLYING JUST YET.

dbj1000 Jan 17th 2007 12:39 am

Re: Worse trip to UK ever.

You poor bugger. I'm really sorry that you had, as you say, the worst trip home ever!

I hope things get better now you're back.

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2007 12:45 am

So you were home for quite some time mate, and ignoring the terrible circumstances surrounding the trip you must have had a few smiley moments when you were back.
Was this the first time you'd been back with the ball and chain ???

dbark Jan 17th 2007 12:46 am

Sorry to hear it, sounds really awful, but in a way it's good to get back on the horse (or plane).

spuggy Jan 17th 2007 12:50 am

what a bloody nightmare:(

Hope you are settled back home and things are back to normal.

Lord Lionheart Jan 17th 2007 12:57 am

Sounds like a nightmare. I'm sure it was compounded by the circumstances.
I know kinda how you felt as I recently travelled back home last September after my Dad was diagnosed with cancer, it was a trip with my 2 year old son whom he had not seen. At the time I was unsure if it was to be my last visit with my father, a very unpleasant and emotional trip even without any mechanical issues

Patrick Hasler Jan 17th 2007 1:57 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4292183)
So you were home for quite some time mate, and ignoring the terrible circumstances surrounding the trip you must have had a few smiley moments when you were back.
Was this the first time you'd been back with the ball and chain ???

I have been back on my own once and with the family about 5 times since comming here in 2000, so it wasn't anything new, just the worst trip we ever had.
I find it hard to understand why people are so rude and ignorant toward Kate just because she is American ? I find that even in the roughest areas over here people go out of their way to be nice toward me because I am Engilsh.

It makes Kate feel she never wants to go back again and I can't blame her.

I have now got only two real reasons to go back again ... My 25 year old Son ... who I adore and my 23 year old daughter who seems to hate me at the moment but I believe will one day grow up.

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2007 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 4292363)
I have been back on my own once and with the family about 5 times since comming here in 2000, so it wasn't anything new, just the worst trip we ever had.
I find it hard to understand why people are so rude and ignorant toward Kate just because she is American ? I find that even in the roughest areas over here people go out of their way to be nice toward me because I am Engilsh.

I have now got only two real reasons to go back again ... My 25 year old Son ... who I adore and my 23 year old daughter who seems to hate me at the moment but I believe will one day grow up.

That's a shame mate.
Is it just people you know who are rude to her or is it random people too ??

AmerLisa Jan 17th 2007 2:10 am

Sorry your trip wasn't good, Patrick.....circumstances aside. Please tell Kate I understand how she feels (although when you're there for your FIL's funeral, it would seem people would be a bit less ignorant) however, there are nice people there as well.....:)

Wildandcrazy0525 Jan 17th 2007 2:54 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 4292424)
Sorry your trip wasn't good, Patrick.....circumstances aside. Please tell Kate I understand how she feels (although when you're there for your FIL's funeral, it would seem people would be a bit less ignorant) however, there are nice people there as well.....:)

First sorry to hear about your loss.

Second I know what you mean about people overe here being nice to you cause your English, it worries me come March or April when I take Melissa there for her first visit there and my first trip for what will be 4 years by then about the narrow minded ********** no I ca't put what I really want.

anabella Jan 17th 2007 4:07 am

I am sorry to hear that your trip went so bad, you are probably glad to be back here and to get back to some normality, even if that involves having to fly..

Things can only get better..

Elvira Jan 17th 2007 5:48 am

Sorry you're having such a rough time.

I'm really puzzled as to why people would be rude to your wife just because she is American. Are they just tossers or was there something that set them off?

Anyway, good luck with the trip tomorrow!

dan_alford Jan 17th 2007 1:26 pm

It's all to do with the British media portrayal as Americans as arrogant small minded people. My wife got it worse because she was "southern" and therefore must be a "redneck". Yet she debated her way out of several snooty arguments by outmaneuvering arrogant prats.

California Dreamin' Jan 17th 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 4292424)
Sorry your trip wasn't good, Patrick.....circumstances aside. Please tell Kate I understand how she feels (although when you're there for your FIL's funeral, it would seem people would be a bit less ignorant) however, there are nice people there as well .....:)

Not many !

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2007 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by California Dreamin' (Post 4294100)
Not many !

Ahh - everyone's favourite trolling racist is back