Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worse place to live,OZ,CANADA, or USA?

Worse place to live,OZ,CANADA, or USA?

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:29 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worse place to live,OZ,CANADA, or USA?

I've notice that many brits after time find that they can not adjust to their new country,hense why so many are returning to England.Those of you who gave Canada, OZ,or the States a go,which of the three offers the better chance for a brit to assimulate?

Of the three countries, one is slightly more similar to the UK culture. Some brits say oz is just too far away from the uk which make going home for visits far too expensive and only adds to the home sickness.Other brits say that the Australian culture is not as friendly as british expats were expecting.Some say America is a country were living to work is the american way instead of working to live.

Some brits say living in Canada is the same as living in a country with no soul and have found the country offers fewer financial opportunities.Now that you have given this expat experience a try,do you believe had you gone to one of the other two choices on my list ,you may have been more happy ? Which country do you think is the tougher fit? List them in order of worse choice.1),2),3).

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:56 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worse place to live,OZ,CANADA, or USA?

Thank you Yankeeabroad for asking such a indepth question.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I've notice that many brits after time find that they can not adjust to their new country,hense why so many are returning to England.Those of you who gave Canada, OZ,or the States a go,which of the three offers the better chance for a brit to assimulate?

Of the three countries, one is slightly more similar to the UK culture. Some brits say oz is just too far away from the uk which make going home for visits far too expensive and only adds to the home sickness.Other brits say that the Australian culture is not as friendly as british expats were expecting.Some say America is a country were living to work is the american way instead of working to live.

Some brits say living in Canada is the same as living in a country with no soul and have found the country offers fewer financial opportunities.Now that you have given this expat experience a try,do you believe had you gone to one of the other two choices on my list ,you may have been more happy ? Which country do you think is the tougher fit? List them in order of worse choice.1),2),3).

Thanks
I guess I can't really comment on Oz or NZ because I've never been there. Did look briefly into Oz (when we thought that Canada was taking too long and a friend have moved over there) but I don't think we qualified plus we thought it would be just too far away for family to visit.

I have a cousin living in Sydney, who went over for a year's visit and has been there for about 4 years now. She seems to love it but she doesn't have a family yet.

NZ, my aunt and uncle visited twice and loved it but I don't think it is somewhere we would like, again too far away.

The only other options we would want to explore would be States or Far East. This would just be for a couple of years and not permanently. I enjoy travelling and I intend to visit lots of places (with hubby's 25 days vacation time!) That's far more exciting
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:30 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

At different times in life, people have different priorities - career, family, finances. That is one factor. Another factor is the ability to assimilate - I'm sure some people feel much more comfortable in Australia than they do in Canada or the USA because of their interests (yes, I know you can ski in Australia and surf in Canada but you get my drift). That again is down to an individual.

I think that if you browse here for long enough you'll see many reasons cropping up for people moving on. Unless you are looking to start an argument, you'll see that the question cannot really be answered.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think like anything it depends on where you exactly live in any of the countries and the people who come into your life. Culture doesn't bother me, as I learn to adapt to it and after awhile I get used to it. I think everywhere has it's things you love or hate.

USA was my first choice before Oz, but I ended up there and life took a different course and I found the Australians helpful and friendly. In many cases I find them friendlier than many Brits. My brother lived out in the States for 3 years and he travelled all over with his work. He preferred the Southern States as he found the natives more friendly than the Northern ones. He wishes he had stayed out there rather than returning to UK. On hindsight he would have done. My cousin also lives in South Carolina and has lived over there for the last 30 years and he loves it, in fact he chose the US Navy over the British one, yet he was educated and grew up in UK, but his father was an American. A British friend of mine lives in Washington and hates it and prefers Sydney to it, somewhere else she may have had a different view.

I looked at Canada to also live, but it is too cold for me, but I know people who have moved there who loved it. I think like anything it depends on what people want out of life, the people who come into their lives and the lifestyle they have or want. I wouldn't necessarily say any of the above were better or worse as everyone is an individual and what suits one person may not suit another.

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:51 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of Brits seem to fight hard to stay in the USA and leave kicking and screaming if they can't renew a visa...

I don't think I could live in OZ...
I looked at Canada....but it was not for us...
The USA...I like it here...can't see myself leaving any time soon...I moan a lot about our problems...but I'm sure we would of hit the same ones if we had stayed in the UK....
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by all the regular posters in this forum, the worst place to live is Perth.
I've never been, and after reading many many posts about it, I never want too either.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

hammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to all

Thanks
I have lived in Texas for 3 years now and I have concluded with a heavy heart, that the USA isn't for me....dont get me wrong I love the people here, but its a different way of life and with the price of healthcare and ever rising prices and a static salary....but what takes the biscuit is working Christmas, Easter and New Year..hardly any vacation time....Well...NO MORE. I'm leaving in July 2007.....for a guaranteed 6 weeks vacation, free healthcare, no guns in the street and a decent pension....BYE BYE USA.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:56 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
A lot of Brits seem to fight hard to stay in the USA and leave kicking and screaming if they can't renew a visa...

Must have missed those...

Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:35 am
Banned

Is money the biggest factor why you stay or leave your expat country?Would living in canada,oz,or usa be a better fit if you could make more money there?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Judging by all the regular posters in this forum, the worst place to live is Perth.
I've never been, and after reading many many posts about it, I never want too either.
Your loss buddy.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

No, I have noticed that too. I have travelled to the US and loved it, but I did not think their standard of living was higher than Australia's (there were many signs of obvious poverty for example)

Us Brits seem to accept the perceived flaws in America much more readily than we accept Australia's.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:06 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

You're not on the same forums I am thats why......
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Is money the biggest factor why you stay or leave your expat country?Would living in canada,oz,or usa be a better fit if you could make more money there?
Money is certainly not a factor for us but to be honest we have not found it any cheaper living here than the Uk with the exception of petrol but even with that we now have to drive every where as cant shop on foot here.

Perhaps if you were quite poor in your homeland then went on to earn higher and had a better standard it might but even that still wont help the family/friend situation.

Money had nothing to do with us leaving the Uk, we were promised a better family life here in the US but thats deffo not the case now we are here.

I can not comment on Canada or oz as no experience.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think the original poster has to do a LOT more examination of their reasons and motivation for emigrating. For it to work you need to go somewhere because you are ultimately attracted TO a particular countries lifestyle and opportunities, not just decide to move AWAY from a place.

I suspect there is really no answer to your question, everyone is different. More people leave Australia and Perth in particular simply because more people go there in the first place I suspect, and there are as many reasons to return to the UK as there are people returning.

Decide what you want from life, then find a location that gives a good chance of achieving it. For all I know it might well still be somewhere close to home (there are still plenty of great places around, once you focus on whats important to you and decide to do whats necessary to get there) and that will save a lot of hassle and expense and turmoil of going through the immigration wringer. Or it might be somewhere else altogether. Some people just want to try something else as an adventure.

I doubt there is anyone here who has lived in Canada, Oz and the US who is in a position to answer your question anyway, and I'm not at all sure its an answerable question. How much you assimilate is entirely up to the individuals personality. If you find the right place for you, then you will assimilate. If you want to assimilate as a "Brit", then Britain is your best bet, everywhere else is well, foreign, innit

Money makes life easier, but ultimately its lifestyle and stress levels that count for me. Im not leaving Canada anytime soon.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 24th 2007 at 1:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.