Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it worse here?

Is it worse here?

Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it worse here?

Brief info... OK at work the other night a woman comes in to the store does not get her own way and complains to my manager about me (and threatens to report me to corporate too) I followed company policy and did nothing wrong... she immediately claimed I was racist and would not have treat her that way if she was white.

My question is do you think black people in the US have a much bigger chip on their shoulders than those in the UK? and is it time they let the past be... I know they have had it rough in the USA but thats not my doing.

I should also add (before I get flamed) I do not think I am racist at all and the only thing I have against coloured/black people or whatever the PC term is (and this lady was a classic example) is when something does not go their way it is because they are black.

end rant

Ash

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Jan 4th 2005 at 4:09 am.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:54 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worse here?

Ash
I have PM'd you!
Rachel
Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

In the US, everything is about race. Everything. It is all-pervading and inescapable.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:00 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
In the US, everything is about race. Everything. It is all-pervading and inescapable.
Pretty much. I think the race card is used more frequently over here...along with the gay/jew etc...people here are pretty whiny on the whole imo.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Brief info... OK at work the other night a woman comes in to the store does not get her own way and complains to my manager about me (and threatens to report me to corporate too) I followed company policy and did nothing wrong... she immediately claimed I was racist and would not have treat her that way if she was white.

My question is do you think black people in the US have a much bigger chip on their shoulders than those in the UK? and is it time they let the past be... I know they have had it rough in the USA but thats not my doing.

I should also add (before I get flamed) I do not think I am racist at all and the only thing I have against coloured/black people or whatever the PC term is (and this lady was a classic example) is when something does not go their way it is because they are black.

end rant

Ash
Wouldn't let it worry you. If I were the manager and you hadn't had the racist card pulled at you at least 4 times/year, you've been spending to long in the rest room and I would be whipping your butt to get you out on the floor again!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:57 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Ash
Yes. It is probably the largest single thing that holds them back IMO. Those blacks I know who don't have a chip on their shoulder and believe that they can attain whatever sucess they themselves are capable of...usually become much more sucessfull than those who always piss and moan about how they're being screwed by 'the man" or the system.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people over here have some sort of "my ancestors were shafted in the past" chip on their shoulders.

I mean the Irish, for pete's sake............. sorry there were no spuds for awhile, but you could have still eaten lasagne.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do seem to have a massive chip on their shoulders over here, however, I think they are doing their best to catch up in the UK. Especially with that stupid pretend limp attitude problem a lot of those folk seem to have, whats that all about! Pathetic.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:35 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I ain't touchin' this one with a barge pole!!!!! Run people run!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:52 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Blighty we couldn't use the word "black"....you had to say "coloured folk". so calling blacks....black was a bit of a eye opener!

Yes they have a chip on there shoulder, 2 times now when I have driven on the road to be cut up by a black women, I honked the horn only too have them flip me off and then search around in the glove compartment I persume for a hand gun? hilarious.

Last week I went into Bank One, Wells Fargo had withdrawn my wifes car payment from the wrong account (mine not my wifes) The Bank One in North Garland had a black women manager who came over to us, stood there with her hands on her hips, done the old "i'm gonna shaft you and not do anything look" and done exactly that "nothing I can do she said", We spent 20 minutes arguing with her.

Drove over to Mesquite Bank One, explained the situation to a white women bank manager got the matter sorted out in 5 minutes.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article a while back about how America is turning from the "Land of the Free" into the "Land of the Easily Offended". Very compelling argument, including a discussion of how misfortune is always interpreted as being the fault of someone else.

Specifically on the race issue, I think there is a noisy minority who attract attention, but most African Americans I've met don't fit the description. I've spent most of my time here in the South and have rarely seen the race card played (with, however, some notable exceptions - I've been accused of being racist before, for failing certain students in my classes). When that kind of thing does happen, it's quite a shock I must say.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is not a chip, IMHO. It is a matter of knowing which are the right buttons to push in order to come out on top. Some call it playing the race card.

end rant

Ash
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:40 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
When I lived in Blighty we couldn't use the word "black"....you had to say "coloured folk". so calling blacks....black was a bit of a eye opener!

Yes they have a chip on there shoulder, 2 times now when I have driven on the road to be cut up by a black women, I honked the horn only too have them flip me off and then search around in the glove compartment I persume for a hand gun? hilarious.

Last week I went into Bank One, Wells Fargo had withdrawn my wifes car payment from the wrong account (mine not my wifes) The Bank One in North Garland had a black women manager who came over to us, stood there with her hands on her hips, done the old "i'm gonna shaft you and not do anything look" and done exactly that "nothing I can do she said", We spent 20 minutes arguing with her.

Drove over to Mesquite Bank One, explained the situation to a white women bank manager got the matter sorted out in 5 minutes.
I'm not seeing your point. I've met an equal amount of arsehole white people as well...
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:50 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

I have noticed that if any Black (or for that matter any minority) person is obnoxious or rude and you take a dislike to them because they are mean-spirited, they you immediately become a 'rascist', 'homophobe' or whatever. I mean, there are obnoxious people of all races and genders, but it seems like if you are in a minority then it gives you a licence to be obnoxious and the whole world is 'wrong' if they disagree with you.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I believe its all caused by the Ultra right wing of the Methodists...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.