Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worried we might be lonely.

Worried we might be lonely.

Old May 5th 2011, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

AndyP11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worried we might be lonely.

My wife and I are at the very early stages of looking at getting an E2 visa, heading out to FL (probably Orange County) and buying a business and so on.

Major lifestyle change for us, but we've wanted to do it for 10 years and we're not getting any younger. We've run a biz in the UK for 18 years so we're familiar with the pitfalls and benefits etc.

We don't have a huge freind circle in the UK because we work pretty unsociable hours. Despite this I guess one of the biggest worries when/if we get out to FL is a feeling of loneliness being separated from the friends we have and of course our family.

Does anyone know of any active Ex-Pats groups in central FL or Orange County? Just thought that may be a way to put that worry to bed.
Old May 5th 2011, 8:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried we might be lonely.

Originally Posted by AndyP11

Does anyone know of any active Ex-Pats groups in central FL or Orange County? Just thought that may be a way to put that worry to bed.
If you are so keen to move to the US, why do you want to immediately think of socializing with ex-pats? Why not concentrate on getting to know your new US neighbors? Ways of meeting people include joining or volunteering at an organization that interests you -- the dog pound, the library, sailing club, whatever. Please don't limit your socialization -- you will have a much better immigrant experience if you look ahead, rather than back!
Old May 5th 2011, 8:50 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

You are moving to Florida so you won't have any problems meeting British Expats its flooded with them....but this page will be a start for you and you can search from there on to maybe a closer location or activity that might be of interest to you.

http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords...o=true&events=
Old May 5th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of any active Ex-Pats groups in central FL or Orange County?
I'm struggling to think of a more ghastly concept. Try integrating, an alien concept for some, I'm sure - but much better than having to endure pissing/moaning/sunburned English people whinging about how their lawncare business is going down the shitter and how unfair everything is.
New life - new people - new outlook - new direction.
Old May 5th 2011, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Try mixing with the locals. Americans, generally, are very nice people. I married one.

Seeking out Brits who will be whinging about the bread and bacon won't help you adjust to life in a foreign country.
Old May 6th 2011, 12:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve100100

Seeking out Brits who will be whinging about the bread and bacon won't help you adjust to life in a foreign country.
That's what BE is for

Oh, and tot he OP, welcome to BE!
Old May 6th 2011, 1:38 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's what BE is for

Oh, and tot he OP, welcome to BE!
You stole my line

That seems to be the general tone of conversations on BE lately!!

To the OP welcome to BE and enjoy the journey, you will find some friends it is the natural course of life!!
Old May 6th 2011, 1:56 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve100100
Why would anyone complain about the bread and bacon. I'm sure no-one on here every has.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Why would anyone complain about the bread and bacon. I'm sure no-one on here every has.
Nice Freudian slip.
Old May 6th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

gradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I'm struggling to think of a more ghastly concept. Try integrating, an alien concept for some, I'm sure - but much better than having to endure pissing/moaning/sunburned English people whinging about how their lawncare business is going down the shitter and how unfair everything is.
New life - new people - new outlook - new direction.
I'm gonna disagree with this and similar sentiments. America can be a slightly alien culture beneath the surface, as we all know: other expats are people we have at least some things in common with. No need to get 'my America' syndrome.
Old May 7th 2011, 11:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gradboy
I'm gonna disagree with this and similar sentiments. America can be a slightly alien culture beneath the surface, as we all know: other expats are people we have at least some things in common with. No need to get 'my America' syndrome.
Well, I just read the article and can't see much relevance to your point - Japan does not equal America being the most glaring irrelevance. the article is also primarily about work culture, and the OP is worried about being lonely.

Sure, I used to enjoy the reassuringly comfortable conversations I had with a family of fellow expats when I worked in the States, but surely one of the main reasons for choosing to live overseas is to experience a different culture, rather than find your own "Little Britain" in the middle of New York.

I wouldn't deliberately shun a fellow expat, but I wouldn't actively seek them out in order to have a comfort blanket, either. Images of Torremolinos, "British" pubs on the Costa Brava, and cravings for fish and chips and Marmite just make me want to ask "Why?"

Having said all that, the idea of going completely native is also a bit creepy - trying to escape your Britishness seems a little dysfunctional.

p.s. I currently live in Scotland and it has a much more alien culture (for me) than I found in the US.
Old May 7th 2011, 12:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I are at the very early stages of looking at getting an E2 visa, heading out to FL (probably Orange County) and buying a business and so on.

Major lifestyle change for us, but we've wanted to do it for 10 years and we're not getting any younger. We've run a biz in the UK for 18 years so we're familiar with the pitfalls and benefits etc.

We don't have a huge freind circle in the UK because we work pretty unsociable hours. Despite this I guess one of the biggest worries when/if we get out to FL is a feeling of loneliness being separated from the friends we have and of course our family.

God!! Whorlando is Orange country ...it depresses me to even think about visiting there ..with all the whining Brit there... I am 100 miles away and I
need that gap
Old May 7th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, I just read the article and can't see much relevance to your point - Japan does not equal America being the most glaring irrelevance. the article is also primarily about work culture, and the OP is worried about being lonely.

Sure, I used to enjoy the reassuringly comfortable conversations I had with a family of fellow expats when I worked in the States, but surely one of the main reasons for choosing to live overseas is to experience a different culture, rather than find your own "Little Britain" in the middle of New York.

I wouldn't deliberately shun a fellow expat, but I wouldn't actively seek them out in order to have a comfort blanket, either. Images of Torremolinos, "British" pubs on the Costa Brava, and cravings for fish and chips and Marmite just make me want to ask "Why?"

Having said all that, the idea of going completely native is also a bit creepy - trying to escape your Britishness seems a little dysfunctional.

p.s. I currently live in Scotland and it has a much more alien culture (for me) than I found in the US.

Are you kidding? Do you honestly believe that? Wow - you should really start looking for a job back in England (or the US).
Old May 7th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that it is possible and normal to integrate with the society around you, without losing your national identity.

The thought of conciously seeking out fellow English types to band together with, because the indiginous population are 'not like me' is rather obnoxious.

If you need to be parochial to be comfortable, you're probably better off staying in the UK.
Old May 7th 2011, 3:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
[/B]

Are you kidding? Do you honestly believe that? Wow - you should really start looking for a job back in England (or the US).
I felt a lot more welcome where I lived in the States than I have done living here. Over 4 years now and I still only know people relatively superficially. Mind you, Glaswegians are a bit dour, and I have a lot less free time here.

I've been looking for a job in the US for over 2 years now (in fact I've had two interviews).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.