Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with these?

Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with these?

Old May 16th 2019, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with thes

Originally Posted by Pulaski

America is waking up to the idea of walkable communities and "mixed use developments" are the hot real estate development trend at the moment - combining retail, restaurants, office, medical services with apartments/ condos and maybe some town homes (terraced houses). But for most of America, everything requires a drive - we deliberately chose a more rural location, but we live almost a mile from the main road, and from there it is several miles to the nearest supermarket and miles further to stores we shop at frequently such as Walmart and Lowes. It no longer seems unreasonable to drive 10 miles to meet someone for lunch or 30 miles for dinner. We cover an aggregate of somewhere around 40,000-45,000 miles a year in our vehicles.

If not for the high cost of gas/owning a car, rural living would be nice. Gets too expensive though (here anyhow) due to the need to drive larger distance and with gas at $6+ per gallon, even small cars are money sucking machines.
Old May 16th 2019, 8:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with thes

$6 a gallon!

$2.64 here today.
Old May 16th 2019, 9:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
.... $2.64 here today.
You are being ripped off. It's $2.55 here today. I paid $2.35 two days ago with a discount deal with Kroger that allowed me buy 35 gallons, enough to fill both Mrs P's car and mine.
Old May 16th 2019, 9:59 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are being ripped off. It's $2.55 here today. I paid $2.35 two days ago with a discount deal with Kroger that allowed me buy 35 gallons, enough to fill both Mrs P's car and mine.
Hoarder. It's people like you that caused the ridiculous price spike for a brick of .22lr.

That's certainly a difference between the US and the UK. In the UK, my parents' cars gas gauges are always at 1/4 tank or lower. I don't think they've ever been North of 3/4s.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Hoarder. ....
Hoarder? Hardly! We both drive Accords, not thirsty SUVs, but mine will go from brimmed to fumes in 14 days, and Mrs P's will be down to less than the three gallons she needs every weekday in 7-8 days.
Old May 16th 2019, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
$6 a gallon!

$2.64 here today.
$6.19 actually today, it hit an all time high about a month ago when it peaked at $6.57.

Old May 17th 2019, 2:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
$6.19 actually today, it hit an all time high about a month ago when it peaked at $6.57.
That's you converting the liter rate in Canada to the cost per gallon.

MS has been at the $2.57 mark for 10 days now. I don't use the car much so I only need to fill up once every 3 - 4 weeks.
Old May 17th 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
That's you converting the liter rate in Canada to the cost per gallon. ....
Is that a question?
Old May 17th 2019, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
That's you converting the liter rate in Canada to the cost per gallon.

MS has been at the $2.57 mark for 10 days now. I don't use the car much so I only need to fill up once every 3 - 4 weeks.
Not sure what your point is.

I convert to US gallons on this forum since this is the US forum.

Saying 1.62 or whatever today's price is, per liter doesn't suddenly make gas cheaper.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 17th 2019 at 7:46 pm.
Old May 18th 2019, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
That's certainly a difference between the US and the UK. In the UK, my parents' cars gas gauges are always at 1/4 tank or lower. I don't think they've ever been North of 3/4s.
i think you’ll find that’s a personal difference not a country difference. If we’re going to trade anecdotes, my parents worried about letting the tank drop below 3/4 and would top up tiny amounts as they drove about 5 miles a week.
Old May 21st 2019, 12:29 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's pretty much me. Like to keep it full in case of Yellowstone goes wild and we have to flee on one tank. See how far 700 miles gets me.

When we compare gas prices, are we remembering to factor in that a US gallon is 128 fluid ounces, while an Imperial gallon is 160? So it's apple and orringes.
Old May 21st 2019, 1:22 am
Account Closed

The price per gallon I post is price per US gallon rounded to the nearest whole.

It's not a perfect conversion but its close enough.
Old May 21st 2019, 1:27 am

The price per gallon I post is price per US …..
US$ or C$? …. I wonder if Rete was alluding to movements in the US$-C$ rate that may lead to spurious movements in the price you are reporting.
Old May 21st 2019, 3:29 am
Account Closed

Canadian since we pay and use CAD$ in Canada.
Old May 21st 2019, 4:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I feel your pain in this.

NZ @ nzd $2.30 a litre = NZD $.8.70 per US gallon.

That is USD $5.67 a gallon or CAD $7.61 a US gallon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.