Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with these?

Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with these?

Old May 15th 2019, 10:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with thes

Originally Posted by steveq
Errm. Yes it is, it has an enormous chunk of Gulf coast, from Mexico border to Louisiana.....
I am also curious as to what whether or not Texas is on the coast, has to do with routes to Scotland, as very few people sail on a ship to cross the Atlantic.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with thes

Originally Posted by markonline1
I spent more time looking over my shoulder for rogue transit vans mounting the pavement last time I was in London than worrying about being shot out here.
Leaving friends and family is definitely the toughest part. I’m quite a hard nosed SOB, but when I go home, or when friends and family come out to visit, the homesickness knocks me for six for a good week or so (and that’s with me loving it out here with no plans as yet to return home).
Isn't that true? I have just told a close friend and we both got a bit emotional. But I guess if we visit each other, keep updating, we will keep the friendship strong.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are correct, and I plead guilty to not thinking of that possibility.
Guilty as charged
I am from China. Have lived in UK for many years and a proud citizen. UK is my second home --- sweet home with lots of ties and memories.

Originally Posted by Hockmiester
  • Europe: Choose your location carefully. The estate agent will treat you like a US person. Hey if we drive 15 mins this way look at the 9,000sqft house you can have. Only it's 30 mins from a shop and you have to drive everywhere. We found a part of town that was walk-able to shops, had coffee & bakerys etc and it fit perfectly to the transition.
But who wants to live in a 9000sqft house?! It will take one-year to walk to another room...

You are very lucky to find such a spot! I am under the impression that in US unless you live right downtown you will be 10-mile away from any services.
Where we live now is 10-minute walk to our little town center, cafes, restaurants, cinema etc, and next to a lovely part of Thames river. It's truly a luxury, especially when weather is nice.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by park99
Many of you mentioned 'exit plan'. Our thought for now is to give it two years. At the moment I can't picture us 'grow old' in US just yet.
Then the tricky part is, for these two experiment years, shall we just rent ? But then how does one fully experience real life with temporary rented home.... I know someone who have moved 3 years ago still kept their house back in UK just in case...
All rentals are temporary, but you can rent for several years in one spot, provided the owner keeps renewing the rental each time its up for renewal, you can experience real life just as easily renting as owning, millions of people rent for life.

I have been renting housing for 20 something years, not all in one spot, but owning is not in the cards for us and never will be, we will be life long renters.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 15th 2019 at 10:52 pm.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

You are very lucky to find such a spot! I am under the impression that in US unless you live right downtown you will be 10-mile away from any services.
Where we live now is 10-minute walk to our little town center, cafes, restaurants, cinema etc, and next to a lovely part of Thames river. It's truly a luxury, especially when weather is nice.
The USA is a place of infinite variety, places on the East coast are easily as walkable as your current location. Where we live, we too can walk to our local Wegmans (Waitrose equivalent), favourite bar and coffee shop. I am a 10 minute drive to my office, and the nearest airport. Out WEST, the scale changes I admit. Where we own a house in New Mexico the nearest supermarket is 50 miles away.

And a 9000 sq ft house would accommodate most of our hobby activities as well as us. I have always been very jealous of a good friend of ours who literally lives in an aircraft hangar......

Last edited by steveq; May 15th 2019 at 10:54 pm. Reason: Additions
Old May 15th 2019, 10:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty as charged.

.... You are very lucky to find such a spot! I am under the impression that in US unless you live right downtown you will be 10-mile away from any services.
America is waking up to the idea of walkable communities and "mixed use developments" are the hot real estate development trend at the moment - combining retail, restaurants, office, medical services with apartments/ condos and maybe some town homes (terraced houses). But for most of America, everything requires a drive - we deliberately chose a more rural location, but we live almost a mile from the main road, and from there it is several miles to the nearest supermarket and miles further to stores we shop at frequently such as Walmart and Lowes. It no longer seems unreasonable to drive 10 miles to meet someone for lunch or 30 miles for dinner. We cover an aggregate of somewhere around 40,000-45,000 miles a year in our vehicles.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 15th 2019 at 11:27 pm.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
It's important to note here that, unlike the UK, you are talking about several different 'governments' when you talk about it in the US.

The state you are in may well offer unemployment benefits if you lose your job, but these are likely to be short term and small payments, certainly not enough to live on in any meaningful sense. Food stamps generally are offered to people near/below the poverty line with children.

You average working age person in the US is entitled to little or nothing, state dependent. Not even healthcare in some states. As an example, GA does not offer any form of Medicaid to a working age male unless disabled.
That doesn't sound so good...
I have read many discussions on Quora about US. The lack of safety net and universal healthcare come up as most criticised.

States usually offer a few months (maybe 3-6 months, in the great recession of 2008-2012 that was bumped up several times, funded by the federal government, to as much as 24 months) of unemployment pay, but it is quite a modest amount, and designed to avoid you starving while looking for work.

As CS said the US has a different mentality, and the expectation is that you take care of yourself, rather than the government taking money from people who work to support those who can't be bothered to. People in the US are free to not work if they don't want to, but the US government isn't in the business of taking money from people who work to fund those that don't want to. I find that rather refreshing.
Yes that's a refreshing way to look at it.
But we are all on the same boat. If those who are less privileged don't get their basic needs met, then we will all be affected. But that's for another discussion.
Old May 15th 2019, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

I am also curious as to what whether or not Texas is on the coast, has to do with routes to Scotland, as very few people sail on a ship to cross the Atlantic.
Of course Texas is on the coast now I realise! I have only been to east and west coasts so I forgot Texas is also next to the sea. But is it called south coast?
Old May 15th 2019, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

But is it called south coast?
No, usually the Gulf Coast.
Old May 15th 2019, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

The cost of a round-trip buy & sell on a house in the US can be pretty crazy, close to 10% of the selling price is typical, so unless there is a high probability of you staying in one place for at least 5 years, renting is the financially logical decision. Add to the buy sell cost the ongoing cost of maintenance, US houses seem to perpetually need repairs that homes in the UK don't need - often for things that either homes in the UK don't have, like the AC system, or are totally different - like the roofing material, which on most US homes means a new roof typically every 15-20 years.

Keeping a home in the UK can lead to an horrific capital gains tax bill from Uncle Sam if you are tax resident in the US and don't sell within three years of moving out. …. I say horrific because you get taxed from the date you bought it, not from when you moved to the US, and there is no indexation allowance, …. and you may (depending on how exchange rates have moved since you took out the mortgage) also have to pay a capital gain on the part of the mortgage you are paying off with the proceeds of the sale!
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
All rentals are temporary, but you can rent for several years in one spot, provided the owner keeps renewing the rental each time its up for renewal, you can experience real life just as easily renting as owning, millions of people rent for life.

I have been renting housing for 20 something years, not all in one spot, but owning is not in the cards for us and never will be, we will be life long renters.
Thanks! Looks like we will rent for a while for sure.

The USA is a place of infinite variety, places on the East coast are easily as walkable as your current location. Where we live, we too can walk to our local Wegmans (Waitrose equivalent), favourite bar and coffee shop. I am a 10 minute drive to my office, and the nearest airport. Out WEST, the scale changes I admit. Where we own a house in New Mexico the nearest supermarket is 50 miles away.

And a 9000 sq ft house would accommodate most of our hobby activities as well as us. I have always been very jealous of a good friend of ours who literally lives in an aircraft hangar......
One of the 'only in US' moment... I assume your friend has more than one cleaners.
My kids and I play music: drum and piano. It would be ideal to have one soundproof room to jam. Or just use the garage? But in rented home this is probably out of question.
Old May 15th 2019, 11:25 pm

No, usually the Gulf Coast.
AFAIK all the entire (contiguous 48) US coastline is either "East Coast", "West Coast", or "Gulf Coast", i.e. the Gulf Coast goes from the Florida Keyes all the way to the border with Mexico, so including half the coastline of Florida, plus the coast of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, all of which are on the Gulf Coast.
Old May 16th 2019, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that true? I have just told a close friend and we both got a bit emotional. But I guess if we visit each other, keep updating, we will keep the friendship strong.

There are few towns in SoCal which I would say has a town center anything like that of the UK. Certainly not Rancho Bernardo or 4S Ranch (areas you mention you have looked at) Shopping Plazas scattered around the area with areas of housing between them.
Old May 16th 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
There are few towns in SoCal which I would say has a town center anything like that of the UK. Certainly not Rancho Bernardo or 4S Ranch (areas you mention you have looked at) Shopping Plazas scattered around the area with areas of housing between them.
Per my post earlier in this thread, a quick stab with Google found that there are a number of mixed use developments in various stages of development in the San Diego area, such as this one in Rancho Penasquitos, which reportedly seeks to "to replicate an urban-style community vibe".
Old May 16th 2019, 3:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Texas is on the coast now I realise! I have only been to east and west coasts so I forgot Texas is also next to the sea. But is it called south coast?
It is the Gulf coast and it's where I live . if you like heat, humidity, crazy weather and friendly people then it's the place to be (if you don't mind running from hurricanes, tornados and red neck cowboys)
I guess it's ok, this month is our 30th anniversary of living here. We didn't imagine being here this long.
Old May 16th 2019, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Texas is not on the coast, so I am curious when you go visit Scotland, what route do you take?
There are direct flights between London and the major cities in Texas, plus there's always the possibility of flying to NYC and connecting there.
Old May 16th 2019, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
if you like heat, humidity, crazy weather and friendly people then it's the place to be
It absolutely is.

Until I left Scotland, I had no idea how much I would actually enjoy the fact that in December, the sky is so blue and the sun so bright that you often need to wear sunglasses to drive.

The miserable northern, coastal winters are one thing which I in no way miss!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.