Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with these?

Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with these?

Old May 14th 2019, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with thes

MJ is legal here but I sort of assumed it was mainly for the Tourists, not being something I am interested in but seems that the unofficial market price is significantly lower than the licensed price and of course was well entrenched.

My impression is that the big increase has been in sales to other States, you here about some big busts but no doubt that is a tiny part of the business. If you make a product legal at a low level then it is hardly going to be a top LEO priority to go after producers because of volume.

The people who seem to have been hit hard are the legal producers, they have the double whammy of increased costs and competition at a lower price. Amusingly they seem to be the ones complaining most and calling for more enforcement.
Old May 14th 2019, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried and feeling uncertain about moving to US? How did you deal with thes

Originally Posted by park99
the safety in US, gun violence in particular; school shooting
Whilst you can't entirely rule this out, the risks are so astonishingly small as to not be worth worrying about. I think I've only ever seen someone openly carrying a firearm once, and there just isn't any "gun violence in particular" outside of areas with gang activity and the drugs trade, and those areas are so well known that most people not involved have no reason to ever go there.

the youth problem, drugs...
I'm not sure what "youth problem" you are talking about.

no security net to fall back on...
Most people who move to the US are going to be earning a higher salary than in the US, so you save as appropriate. If you lose your job before you secure Permanent Residency then you have your savings to fall back on and get you started again once you move back to the UK.

If you already have your Green Card then you do what anyone else does - file for unemployment and look for a new job, using your savings to tide you over. It's probably more of an issue in retirement as you grow older, but that's all the more reason to put as much away as you can during your working life.

leaving friends and well settled familiar life behind; I am not sure how long it will take for us to build same level of community and comfort in CA...
I do miss the humor and the shared cultural references sometimes. My American friends will never know the joy of a roll and square sausage and Irn Bru, and I can never relate to their highschool experiences growing up. You can either accept it for what it is and embrace it, or throw yourself into your local ex-pat groups and try and recreate whatever it is that you're leaving behind.

Personally I moved here not only for the professional opportunity, but for the chance to get out of my comfort zone and give my life something of a reboot. There are things that I miss, but I wouldn't change my new life for the world. I pinch myself every time I get to visit NY or SF and realize that yes, it does look JUST like in the movies and yes, I really COULD just get on a flight and move there tomorrow. Not that I would do either of those things since I love life in Texas so much, but the point is that I could and that the magic and the joy of living hasn't worn off (and I don't think it ever will).

There won't be the same level of culture and history to explore in US. I am gonna miss all these.For those of you who took the courage and made the move, how did you convince yourself it's the right move?
Unfortunately my mother passed away about a year after I moved to the US. When I was back in Scotland for the funeral it was nice to have the temporary comfort of the familiar, but I just couldn't shift the feeling that I wanted to go back home to Texas. It made me realize that the lives of my family and friends are going to go on just fine without me, and that the world was going to carry on turning just the way that it was.

It's hard to explain, but it just feel settled and at home here in way that I never really did in the UK.
Old May 14th 2019, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If there's a spouse, have a exit plan, even without a spouse, have a exit plan.
The good thing about saving up a financial exit plan is that if and when you decide that the US is the place for you, that exit plan can be re-purposed into a nice down payment on a house.

I still pinch myself sometimes that I actually own a three bedroom detached house with a driveway, plus a front and back garden in one one of the hottest real estate markets in the country.

There's no way in hell that I would ever have had the chance of owning something like this in the UK.
Old May 15th 2019, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
OK, I'll bite. Bad things can happen anywhere in the world; none of us has any control over that. There's something horrible happening somewhere every day of the year.

Of course there is history and culture in the US. It's just a different history, which doesn't make it any less interesting. The US has world-class museums, operas, ballets, etc. in city after city across the country.

And like many on BE, I didn't have to "convince myself" to move -- I wanted to!
I envy you. The ' I wanted to' attitude really makes a difference. I have been 'wanted to' but tinted with the worries.
Old May 15th 2019, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
The biggest change a Brit will face is no security net. You make it by your own hard work and effort and to most Brits that is a real culture shock. Not having the possibility of government handouts as a bail out is quite scary. Americans have a different mind set and will work at whatever and more than one job if necessary.

Failure here hurts a lot more, but success has greater rewards.
I am just curious now: does US government not offer any kind of welfare to people? What about those who lost their jobs? I have heard food vouchers, but is that all?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
My opinion is stop over thinking. It's normal to panic a bit when any big change happens in your life.
Look at it as a temporary experience and try to enjoy the adventure. It may be you want to stay forever, who knows! There will be blips, there will be anxiety but there will also be fun times, new experiences, new friends.
Just try and look at the positives and take it day by day. Lots of us have had the same fears but have worked through it.
Yes I am definitely over thinking. And reading everyone's replies here has been helpful.

Originally Posted by tom169
Found the pros outweighed the con. Made the decision to start married life in the USA rather than the UK.
Bravo!
Old May 15th 2019, 9:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I am just curious now: does US government not offer any kind of welfare to people? What about those who lost their jobs? I have heard food vouchers, but is that all?
It's important to note here that, unlike the UK, you are talking about several different 'governments' when you talk about it in the US.

The state you are in may well offer unemployment benefits if you lose your job, but these are likely to be short term and small payments, certainly not enough to live on in any meaningful sense. Food stamps generally are offered to people near/below the poverty line with children.

You average working age person in the US is entitled to little or nothing, state dependent. Not even healthcare in some states. As an example, GA does not offer any form of Medicaid to a working age male unless disabled.
Old May 15th 2019, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the well reasoned facts and datas regarding crimes and accidents.

I guess when people talking about moving to other countries (as long as it's not a warzone), most likely they won't worry about guns and school shooting -- as these are in a way unique American problem. But strange enough, when we were travelling in US a few years ago, I never actually worried about this. Is this because who I am today is less adventurous or the mindset is totally different being a tourist vs living as a local?
Old May 15th 2019, 9:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am just curious now: does US government not offer any kind of welfare to people? What about those who lost their jobs? I have heard food vouchers, but is that all? ….
States usually offer a few months (maybe 3-6 months, in the great recession of 2008-2012 that was bumped up several times, funded by the federal government, to as much as 24 months) of unemployment pay, but it is quite a modest amount, and designed to avoid you starving while looking for work.

As CS said the US has a different mentality, and the expectation is that you take care of yourself, rather than the government taking money from people who work to support those who can't be bothered to. People in the US are free to not work if they don't want to, but the US government isn't in the business of taking money from people who work to fund those that don't want to. I find that rather refreshing.
Old May 15th 2019, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Many of you mentioned 'exit plan'. Our thought for now is to give it two years. At the moment I can't picture us 'grow old' in US just yet.
Then the tricky part is, for these two experiment years, shall we just rent ? But then how does one fully experience real life with temporary rented home.... I know someone who have moved 3 years ago still kept their house back in UK just in case...
Old May 15th 2019, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Hi park99, not sure if I've read your previous threads but what are the positives? Why are you moving? Do those positives outweigh the negatives going round your head?

I'm currently packing up to move to the US and, TBH, it would not be my first choice. In fact it's not - it will be our fourth continent and I'm very happy here in Sydney but my husband got made an offer he couldn't refuse (not just in terms of $$$). I'm always up for an adventure so off I go. Are you looking for a permanent move or is it more of a "posting"? I'm viewing ours with an open mind, especially as we only have a 2 year work permit for now. Could you do the same?

I also think Boiler has a valid point. You're focussing on negatives in the US that you'd ignore in the UK, they're just a fact of life. Everywhere is a bit scary when you don't know it. When we moved from ultra safe little Singapore to Sydney, I had a few no go areas that I now really enjoy. It just takes a while. OK the guns are a significant difference but I'm not thinking too much about those!

Do you have children? IME it's far easier to find a community with kids - you'll meet people on the school run, there will be sporting events, etc. And I say that as somebody without any who saw others build networks this way, but I had to work a bit harder. You kiss a few frogs but eventually find your people.

As for missing Europe - well you'll have new places to explore and, for most of us, the days of moving across the world never to return even for a visit, are past.

Start listing those positives.
What an adventure! Singapore - Sydney - US ! Do you find it gets easier after done it multiple times ?

Yes we are taking this with open mind and will see how it goes. Yes we do have kids and I will try my best to get involved in the school community, like I do here.
I guess I tend to think more on the negatives than the positives regarding US. Will take a more balanced look.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Many of you mentioned 'exit plan'. Our thought for now is to give it two years. At the moment I can't picture us 'grow old' in US just yet.
Then the tricky part is, for these two experiment years, shall we just rent ? But then how does one fully experience real life with temporary rented home.... I know someone who have moved 3 years ago still kept their house back in UK just in case...
The cost of a round-trip buy & sell on a house in the US can be pretty crazy, close to 10% of the selling price is typical, so unless there is a high probability of you staying in one place for at least 5 years, renting is the financially logical decision. Add to the buy sell cost the ongoing cost of maintenance, US houses seem to perpetually need repairs that homes in the UK don't need - often for things that either homes in the UK don't have, like the AC system, or are totally different - like the roofing material, which on most US homes means a new roof typically every 15-20 years.

Keeping a home in the UK can lead to an horrific capital gains tax bill from Uncle Sam if you are tax resident in the US and don't sell within three years of moving out. …. I say horrific because you get taxed from the date you bought it, not from when you moved to the US, and there is no indexation allowance, …. and you may (depending on how exchange rates have moved since you took out the mortgage) also have to pay a capital gain on the part of the mortgage you are paying off with the proceeds of the sale!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 15th 2019 at 10:29 pm.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Then the tricky part is, for these two experiment years, shall we just rent ?.
Absolutely. It may take you two years to figure out just where is the right place for you to live. Buying a house the second you move here, before you understand how things work and know for sure just what is appropriate for you, can result in big costly mistakes.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Psyman
Not a problem, not trying to have a "gotcha" moment - just something that entered my mind.

Regarding history and culture, I wish more Europeans would open their eyes to what is here in those regards. Native Americans/First People were here many thousands of years before Europeans arrived. They may not have left loads of cathedrals and castles and cobbled streets (although check out Mesa Verde National Park if you're into buildings), but have plenty of history and culture to be explored. Some amazing rock art too if you take the time to get out in the great outdoors, especially in the western US. Also, the sheer amount of music, literature, art, cinema etc that has been generated from the US over the last 150 years particularly is pretty incredible. And "America" isn't just the US. From California, you're just a short hop to Mexico and on to Central America if you're looking for a "foreign" holiday.
Yes central America is very attractive to me. Have read many good things about Costa Rica, for example.
I completely agree with you on rock music - I am a fan.

Originally Posted by TexanScot
The good thing about saving up a financial exit plan is that if and when you decide that the US is the place for you, that exit plan can be re-purposed into a nice down payment on a house.

I still pinch myself sometimes that I actually own a three bedroom detached house with a driveway, plus a front and back garden in one one of the hottest real estate markets in the country.

There's no way in hell that I would ever have had the chance of owning something like this in the UK.
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on this! Glad to hear you enjoy your new life so much over in Texas.
Texas is not on the coast, so I am curious when you go visit Scotland, what route do you take? Scotland is special for me, it's so beautiful and I have met some nicest people from Scotland in where we live. I want to take family for another visit there.

''Personally I moved here not only for the professional opportunity, but for the chance to get out of my comfort zone and give my life something of a reboot. ''
I really like this part. It would be a bit unjustified for us to move if it's ONLY for my husband's profesional opportunity. I agree this could be a chance to experience a new lifestyle - s'th we haven't done for a long time.

Last edited by park99; May 15th 2019 at 11:34 pm.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a recession on its way and I am sure House prices will be hot so not a good time to buy.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Texas is not on the coast
Errm. Yes it is, it has an enormous chunk of Gulf coast, from Mexico border to Louisiana.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.