Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worried, Cant Sleep dont know which way to turn

Worried, Cant Sleep dont know which way to turn

Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

josey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worried, Cant Sleep dont know which way to turn

Oh where to begin..Im writing this thread to relieve some of my tension and fears as Im not sleeping, cant think straight and unbelievably anxious.

We came here 2005 for husbands work, sold 3 small terrace properties we 'owned' in Lincoln. Arrived here only to be told Steve had no visa by his company so he had too work illegally which worried him big time but was assured all ok by his boss. We wanted to buy home here, and one day while we were out got talking to this realtor lady in a store, she was very pushy but pleasant. We purchased a house, and she arranged the mortgage with her friend, even though Steve didnt have a social number as he was being paid 'under the table' they said the cash we had would be fine for the bank to allow us to buy the home and also another small home. Property was rising and we were naive, and hadnt done much research.
We paid 580k with a 350kmort for one home and the second home 280k cash in a LLC. We were going to do lots of improvements to the little house to bring it up to spec when we had time and money. Of course the realtor and her finiancial friend were over the moon and thanked us for the business.
Anyway, to cut a long story short...H4 was granted 2006, we applied for g/c which is still ongoing but has cost $$$$. Then the housing market crash, no-one of course suspected how bad it would be. The company who Steve works for are nasty peices of work...his wages have been cut 25%, I of course cannot work on this devils spouse visa. Our home is going into foreclosure and worth 250k now so its 'way' underwater. The little project home is worth maybe 80k tops, we have lots thousands on that one. I rung the mortgage company to ask about modification but they say as we own another home we will not be eligible.
Steve is sick and tired of being held to ransom by his company they know we cannot do anything about his wage cut as it will effect us so he has been looking for work back in UK. He is so stressed with their arogance and uncompassion.
We have now missed 4 mort payments, I felt some small comfort in thinking we would take back maybe 50kGBP when the little house sold, BUT Wells Fargo advisor told me yesterday that they will go after the little house too for the back mort payments so when we sell that - that will be gone too!!
Oh dear, sitting here crying....we are just into our 60's saved all our lives and we have lost everything absolutely everything. I HATE THE DAY WE CAME HERE!! Im not sleeping, I sit during the night and cry, hubby is so stressed his on the verge of tears...
This is just a vent for me writing this, I feel better sharing it with you.....Thanks for reading it
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried, Cant Sleep dont know which way to turn

Its a sad story, true, but the successful story will be yours and your husband's fortitude.

Many folk get into situations, and the housing/mortgage one is all to familiar in the USA right now.

Life is a risk, and you both took it. When it was good, it was good, right? That is a whole lot of money your husband made under the table to put those kinds of down payments into real estate. And it must have been some time (when other avenues for legal status could have been explored.)

Even Donald Trump has lost a shirt or two over what seemed to be great investment real estate.

Yes, you may have to walk away from the homes. You can always short sale them (with lender's approval, of course) and take what you can.

If you feel the USA did this to you, then go back to the UK for the new start in life, or downsize and find a place (many rent now) as the green cards and visas have come through.

This could have happened in the UK as well.... or anywhere.

I do wish you luck and hope some money was squirrelled away for that eventual rainy day, as it sure sounds like a downpour right now.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

How did you arrive without a visa?

I think sympathy is going to be somewhat limited, like the previous poster said you liked it when the going was good and you were getting one over on the system.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:57 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
How did you arrive without a visa?

I think sympathy is going to be somewhat limited, like the previous poster said you liked it when the going was good and you were getting one over on the system.

Especially when they read your first 2 posts
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by josey View Post
We came here 2005 for husbands work, sold 3 small terrace properties we 'owned' in Lincoln. Arrived here only to be told Steve had no visa by his company so he had too work illegally which worried him big time but was assured all ok by his boss.
This part doesn't add up at all. Even though it's a sad story about the houses it does sound like you were the architects of the problem since there seem to have been several major red flags that were ignored along the way. I'm still trying to figure out how you got visas after working illegally and even more confused at how you have applied for greencards yourself.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Something doesn't add up here. Back in '09, the OP wrote:

Originally Posted by josey
I have been offered work for company in Jordan or UAE..
The difficult thing is I have a past fraud conviction and Iwonder
if I will have to declare this on the work permits or tell my interviewer..if I hid it will it get picked up when the work permit is processed ?
I have also been offered work in UAE so i have to make a decision to go or to stay in London.
So how could they "stay in London" in '09 if they've been living in the US since '05??

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 28th 2011 at 4:07 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

NOW IM CONFUSED....
You seem to be quoting posts...that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ME..!!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:26 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

NOW IM CONFUSED....
You seem to be quoting posts...that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ME..!!!
They were posted by the same member account as your recent post - are you saying they were not posted by you?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

if I will have to declare this on the work permits or tell my interviewer..if I hid it will it get picked up when the work permit is processed ?
I have also been offered work in UAE so i have to make a decision to go or to stay in London.

THIS IS 'NOT' ME ..!!! there must be 2 joseys on here because I have NEVER EVER EVER had a past conviction...I have never been offered work in the UAE...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

THIS ISNT ME NEITHER...

Please do not confuse me with another Josey..!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

THIS IS 'NOT' ME ..!!! there must be 2 joseys on here because I have NEVER EVER EVER had a past conviction...I have never been offered work in the UAE...
Was this thread your first ever post on BE?

I was referring to what Bomjeito said about you liking it when things were going your way.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:29 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

No it is the same account ...there is not 2 usernames the same ...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Did your husband post that perhaps?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

THIS ISNT ME NEITHER...
Yes it is, it's in the first post of this thread. You came over without a visa, your husband worked illegally, getting paid under the table (presumably tax free) and you bought yourself a couple of houses. You made it sound like you were enjoying things at that point whilst you were putting one over on the system. Again based on your post, once things started to fall apart that's when you started feeling sorry for yourself.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

look.......this is NOT ME

I have no idea how i seem to be linked to these quotes but I need to get this cleared with someone who runs the site....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.