Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worried about my sons education

Worried about my sons education

Old Oct 6th 2012, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

3yearsandcounting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worried about my sons education

We are planning a move back to Huddersfield the summer of 2015 from aputh carolina. My son will be 13 and going into year 9. He does great in school here...all A student, very polite, behaves in school. I am worried about him not fitting in and maybe struggling with a whole new curriculum. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Old Oct 6th 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about my sons education

Originally Posted by 3yearsandcounting
We are planning a move back to Huddersfield the summer of 2015 from aputh carolina. My son will be 13 and going into year 9. He does great in school here...all A student, very polite, behaves in school. I am worried about him not fitting in and maybe struggling with a whole new curriculum. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Any move is going to be difficult. But 13 is a good age to be moving to a new system. 15 would be too late to be a good age.

Depending on his birth date you might want to consider carefully which year to place him in. Remember the UK school date system selects around date of birth before or after August, not so most of the USA.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously no one wants to disrupt their child's education or make things more difficult than they need to be. I offer this I moved around the same age for an 18 month period at that age due to my parents moving abroad and making a mistake. It did not seem to affect me (I hear the coughs and smirks as your reading this). If you want to return don't let it stop you. Think of all the military and diplomatic employee children around the world who move. I know many go to specialized schools but many don't. Of US military children who move approx once every three years, although not ideal - the positive is that they invariably develop an extremely well informed way of dealing with others and being able to interact with people extremely well.

Now Huddersfield well thats another story...
Old Oct 6th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

His birthday is September 21st so he will turn 14 right After school starts if I am correct?
Old Oct 6th 2012, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

His birthday is September 21st so he will turn 14 right After school starts if I am correct?
That means that, in the ordinary way, he would be expected to be one of the oldest children among his peers. In the UK education system that is.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 4:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Is he one of the oldest in the year at his current school, or does the year start date work the other way for him over there (is he one of the youngest in his year)?

Being one of the oldest in his year is a better situation for him than if it were the other way around, socially.

However, If he's one of the youngest in his current year (what grade is he in, and what grade would he be headed to if you were staying?), and becoming one of the oldest in his year here, that could mean that educationally, he is repeating a school year (obviously, contingent on the curriculum content in the two countries, of course). Unless I'm doing my maths wrong, of course (my brain is fried at the moment).

As much as, or more important than, his age relative to his year-group peers is what the relative educational level is where you are now, compared to what curriculum level he enters here. Lots of people on here have brought kids back and can give you an idea of relative educational levels between countries and whether it's best for him to enter his age-determined year group or the one above.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Obviously no one wants to disrupt their child's education or make things more difficult than they need to be. I offer this I moved around the same age for an 18 month period at that age due to my parents moving abroad and making a mistake. It did not seem to affect me (I hear the coughs and smirks as your reading this). If you want to return don't let it stop you. Think of all the military and diplomatic employee children around the world who move. I know many go to specialized schools but many don't. Of US military children who move approx once every three years, although not ideal - the positive is that they invariably develop an extremely well informed way of dealing with others and being able to interact with people extremely well.

Now Huddersfield well thats another story...
Thanks for your thoughts and as far as Huddersfield goes, I lived there till I was 19 so I know what I'm in for...that's why the area I'm looking at is Shepley, shelley area...close enough to Wakefield and Barnsley too
Old Oct 6th 2012, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

He should be entering the 8th grade in the us in 2015 and he is also he oldest in his grade like he would be in the uk. I guess when you consider kindergarten is the same as year 1 in england, he would be at the same point in his education over there. He's in 5th grade here right now. I think my concerns are Maybe more to do with socially than academically. He is intellectual and does well in school. He should adapt ok, other than being behind on languages..no French and German here. He plays soccer at club level here so that would be a way he could make friends, but from what I remember, the kids in england are so streetwise and try to be grown up too soon, he is right now still a boy and I wonder how he will fit in.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 4:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

He should be entering the 8th grade in the us in 2015 and he is also he oldest in his grade like he would be in the uk. I guess when you consider kindergarten is the same as year 1 in england, he would be at the same point in his education over there. He's in 5th grade here right now. I think my concerns are Maybe more to do with socially than academically. He is intellectual and does well in school. He should adapt ok, other than being behind on languages..no French and German here. He plays soccer at club level here so that would be a way he could make friends, but from what I remember, the kids in england are so streetwise and try to be grown up too soon, he is right now still a boy and I wonder how he will fit in.
Yes, US children are in general probably more naive or protected than in the UK - they are taken everywhere by car, have "playdates" at home rather than going off on their own with their mates, etc.

I missed the fact that your move is several years away - so that's good, you can plan ahead.

If you are concerned about languages, maybe he could have some private lessons in the US to get him ready for the UK? Or is that not feasible?

I take care of US students who come over here on exchange (I work at a university) and although they are more naive, they are usually very popular - hopefully that uniqueness may go in his favour too, when he enters UK secondary school.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
... If you are concerned about languages, maybe he could have some private lessons in the US to get him ready for the UK? Or is that not feasible? ...
Or even get a used copy of the 12 disk DVD set called "French in Action". Self study on a computer and excellent material.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:47 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Or even get a used copy of the 12 disk DVD set called "French in Action". Self study on a computer and excellent material.
Good point. We assume we need teachers to learn, but especially for bright children self-directed learning is an alternative (and sometimes more effective) option.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck for your move back to Huddersfield Maybe contact Shelley College (from what you've said I'm guessing that's the school you'll be aiming to be in the catchment area for) and ask about school support with languages and social adaptation?
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post. Great idea on the French discs. @adele, yes shelley college is the school I would be looking at. I went there when it was shelley high and I would like a school with a good 6th form. I will contact them and see what they recommend.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your thoughts and as far as Huddersfield goes, I lived there till I was 19 so I know what I'm in for...that's why the area I'm looking at is Shepley, shelley area...close enough to Wakefield and Barnsley too
Just trying to be funny about Huddersfield. I have no problem with it. Good luck
Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post. Great idea on the French discs. @adele, yes shelley college is the school I would be looking at. I went there when it was shelley high and I would like a school with a good 6th form. I will contact them and see what they recommend.
I'm from the other side of town but my first BF was from Shepley and went to Shelley High! He did A-levels in 1999.

All the best with it all

Last edited by adele; Oct 8th 2012 at 6:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.