British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Worried about my 4/5 year old moving to a US school (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/worried-about-my-4-5-year-old-moving-us-school-912637/)

Boltonfam May 10th 2018 6:28 pm

Worried about my 4/5 year old moving to a US school

As the title says, I’m worried sick about moving my son to a US school - purely anxious about his happiness and well being and the social side rather than standard of education.

My husband has been offered a transfer too good to turn down, I feel that we would have a much better standard of living. my son is currently 4 but i don’t anticipate the move being finalised for a year or so, has anyone else done a similar transition with their children of a similar age?

karenkaren1 May 10th 2018 7:10 pm

Re: Worried about my 4/5 year old moving to a US school

Originally Posted by Boltonfam (Post 12497308)
As the title says, I’m worried sick about moving my son to a US school - purely anxious about his happiness and well being and the social side rather than standard of education.

My husband has been offered a transfer too good to turn down, I feel that we would have a much better standard of living. my son is currently 4 but i don’t anticipate the move being finalised for a year or so, has anyone else done a similar transition with their children of a similar age?

Why does him being 4/5 and moving make you worried sick? do you think it will be better if he's older? I am moving with high school age kids and if I could... I would turn the clocks back and have done it 10 years ago. In my opinion, your son is young enough to completely integrate, make his long term friendships (which I am moving my kids away from) and start the whole US school system from scratch.

GeoffM May 10th 2018 8:21 pm

My son did 3 months of Reception class in the UK before we left for the US. Because they start later in the US he started at Kindergarten nearly a year later. He was fine... well, he's autistic, but aside from that he was fine!

Don't worry, kids that age blend in with whatever.

robtuck May 10th 2018 8:23 pm

We moved over with our seven year old, so a little later. The school system was very different, but you won't have too much of a problem as I am guessing they will have only attended pre-school or maybe Reception year? We have found the school system where we live, Georgia, to be a bit more like school in the UK years ago - less social interaction in class, leas learning via play and practical work in groups etc. However, he settled very quickly, has made new friends and the bonus of the weather means he can now go down the community pool with those friends after school!

SarahG May 10th 2018 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Boltonfam (Post 12497308)

My husband has been offered a transfer too good to turn down, I feel that we would have a much better standard of living. my son is currently 4 but i don’t anticipate the move being finalized for a year or so, has anyone else done a similar transition with their children of a similar age?

My kids were 4 and 6 when we moved over. They are now 13 and almost 15. They have been fine. My son, the eldest, did start in 1st grade and move to kindergarten after a few months, but it was the best decision and he has thrived since then. His sister has also done well.

OldJuddian May 11th 2018 1:51 am

Mine were 4 and 6 when we moved over. The youngest went into a church pre-school, and the eldest went into 1st grade. No problems at school, and both doing well - even with a change in states.

Moving kids is never easy, but they adapt. They make new friends, and thrive.

fbf2006 May 11th 2018 3:37 pm

Interesting. I think 4/5 year old is actually a pretty good time to move them. We just moved my 5 year old across US states in April and he has already adjusted and loves going to school. We moved back from the UK when he was 3 (almost 4) and he adapted pretty easily then too. Our main issue at that time was that his new nursery in the US actually expected him to be more ahead so we always got complaints from them. This was a surprise to us as we had not received any such complaints from his UK nursery, so we switched to a Montessori, which worked for him.

Ecto17 May 12th 2018 11:11 pm

Moved a 5 yr old last year after almost 2 yrs at a U.K. school and they started 1st grade here last Sept and school has been amazing. I feel that there are so many more opportunities here then in the U.K. for kids and they are doing really well. There is excellent support beyond just academic support at the school which is great. Think it is perfect timing. When you are further along in the process l would start talking to your child in advance of it being a done deal about the possibility of the move. We took this approach and it helped.

HelsW Jul 26th 2018 6:33 pm

We moved to the US when our children were 4 and 6, honestly it wasn’t a big issue as they’re so adaptable at that age. We moved again 18 months ago, they’re now 10 and 12, that was much more difficult. As they get older, it becomes much harder on them. Make sure you choose a home in a good school district. We’ve had great experiences with schools over here in two very different states, but choosing your area is definitely key.

Good luck!

Rete Jul 27th 2018 4:07 pm

You do realize that the OP of this thread has only 1 post to their credit. They posted and never returned to participate in the thread or anywhere else in the forums.

HelsW Jul 27th 2018 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12539519)
You do realize that the OP of this thread has only 1 post to their credit. They posted and never returned to participate in the thread or anywhere else in the forums.

Well, I’m new too and didn’t realize that initially, perhaps it will be of help to someone else.

Have a great day,

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 28th 2018 1:57 am

Presumably not that worried.

Rete Jul 28th 2018 2:01 am

Originally Posted by HelsW (Post 12539653)

Well, I’m new too and didn’t realize that initially, perhaps it will be of help to someone else.

Have a great day,

I'm positive your experience will be helpful to someone in the future. Thanks for posting it.

sunshine18 Aug 1st 2018 8:51 pm

Hi - I was worried too! My 6 year old son loved his UK school and had(has) great friends there. We moved to LA 4 months ago and he has just got on with it - we have called it our Big Adventure since the plans began to take shape and he has grasped the idea full on! He likes his new school where he did 6 weeks before the big Summer holidays (a definite recommendation if you can work it that way) and the kids have all been great with him. He also attended a cool, summer day camp a few days a week this Summer which he loved - something to consider if you arrive out of school time when a long stretch of him knowing no other kids could be hard. Try not to worry - as hard as that is - I am sure if you feel the move is right for you, all will go well. If I can help further please let me know!

Rete Aug 2nd 2018 3:24 pm

For those lovely posters who have responded to this thread with their positive experiences, those have all been great contributions and I'm sure will be helpful for future readers in offsetting fears and anxiety.

Please note that the original thread was started in May by a poster who never graced the BE forums after this one post. But y'all have helped so many with your great insight and for that BE are thankful for your contributions.