British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Worldwide delay? Anyone know about this? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/worldwide-delay-anyone-know-about-110207/)

PEACHSTER Aug 6th 2002 9:03 am

Worldwide delay? Anyone know about this?

Ok I got this off the Docsteen board & am a bit concerned about this. Does anyone have any insight on this matter???

This was posted on the Asian American Couples group on Yahoo:

I called the State Department and spoke with one of the "information officers". She told me that a new policy did go into affect August 1st. It states that due to September 11th. EVERY application will have to go thru an "administrative review" after the interview takes place and then the visa will be issued as soon as possible. She said this is a world wide policy. I did ask if it was permanent and she said "for now"????? She also said the new policy should be on the State Departments web site, but I can't find it...

L D Jones Aug 6th 2002 4:20 pm

Re: Worldwide delay? Anyone know about this?

PEACHSTER wrote:
    >
    > Ok I got this off the Docsteen board & am a bit concerned about this. Does anyone
    > have any insight on this matter???
    >
    > This was posted on the Asian American Couples group on Yahoo:
    >
    > I called the State Department and spoke with one of the "information officers". She
    > told me that a new policy did go into affect August 1st. It states that due to
    > September 11th. EVERY application will have to go thru an "administrative review"
    > after the interview takes place and then the visa will be issued as soon as
    > possible. She said this is a world wide policy. I did ask if it was permanent and
    > she said "for now"????? She also said the new policy should be on the State
    > Departments web site, but I can't find it...

I believe this refers to the additional security checks in "IBIS" (which may stand
for Interagency Border Inspection System) that have been mentioned here several
times recently.

Joe \ Aug 6th 2002 6:20 pm

But why would you run the same report that the INS just ran. The IBIS is the
additional security check that the INS is doing. Why would the State Dept. do
something as stupid as run the same report 2-3 months after the INS did? Are they
getting as bad as the INS?

"L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > PEACHSTER wrote:
    > >
    > > Ok I got this off the Docsteen board & am a bit concerned about this. Does anyone
    > > have any insight on this matter???
    > >
    > > This was posted on the Asian American Couples group on Yahoo:
    > >
    > > I called the State Department and spoke with one of the "information officers".
    > > She told me that a new policy did go into affect August 1st. It states that due
    > > to September 11th. EVERY application will have to go thru an "administrative
    > > review" after the interview takes place and then the visa will be issued as soon
    > > as possible. She said this is a world wide policy. I did ask if it was permanent
    > > and she said "for now"????? She also said the new policy should be on the State
    > > Departments web site, but I can't find it...
    >
    > I believe this refers to the additional security checks in "IBIS" (which may stand
    > for Interagency Border Inspection System) that have been mentioned here several
    > times recently.

Robert Aug 7th 2002 1:20 am

"Joe \(JBH\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > But why would you run the same report that the INS just ran. The IBIS is the
    > additional security check that the INS is doing. Why would the State Dept. do
    > something as stupid as run the same report 2-3 months after the INS did? Are they
    > getting as bad as the INS?
    >
    > "L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > PEACHSTER wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Ok I got this off the Docsteen board & am a bit concerned about this. Does
    > > > anyone have any insight on this matter???
    > > >
    > > > This was posted on the Asian American Couples group on Yahoo:
    > > >
    > > > I called the State Department and spoke with one of the "information officers".
    > > > She told me that a new policy did go into affect August 1st. It states that due
    > > > to September 11th. EVERY application will have to go thru an "administrative
    > > > review" after the interview takes place and then the visa will be issued as
    > > > soon as possible. She said this is a world wide policy. I did ask if it was
    > > > permanent and she said "for now"????? She also said the new policy should be on
    > > > the State Departments web site, but I can't find it...
    > >
    > > I believe this refers to the additional security checks in "IBIS" (which may
    > > stand for Interagency Border Inspection System) that have been mentioned here
    > > several times recently.

According to the new law effective 8/01/02, all visa approvals have to go through a
new administrative review only if the previous IBIS check is done more than 30 days
ago. And since it's true for almost all of the cases (can't recall anyone getting the
visa within less than 30 days after INS' approval) the procedure is appplied
universally, though London embassy seams kinda uneffected by this, I wonder why
(sorry fellow brits, it's not a jest), lool...

Robert

Russ Aug 7th 2002 10:11 am

What does this mean? Will I still get my K1 on the day of my interview?

"Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > "Joe \(JBH\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > But why would you run the same report that the INS just ran. The IBIS
is
    > > the additional security check that the INS is doing. Why would the
State
    > > Dept. do something as stupid as run the same report 2-3 months after the
INS
    > > did? Are they getting as bad as the INS?
    > >
    > > "L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > PEACHSTER wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > Ok I got this off the Docsteen board & am a bit concerned about
this.
    > > > > Does anyone have any insight on this matter???
    > > > >
    > > > > This was posted on the Asian American Couples group on Yahoo:
    > > > >
    > > > > I called the State Department and spoke with one of the "information
    > > > > officers". She told me that a new policy did go into affect August
1st.
    > > > > It states that due to September 11th. EVERY application will have to
go
    > > > > thru an "administrative review" after the interview takes place and
then
    > > > > the visa will be issued as soon as possible. She said this is a
world
    > > > > wide policy. I did ask if it was permanent and she said "for
now"?????
    > > > > She also said the new policy should be on the State Departments web site, but
    > > > > I can't find it...
    > > >
    > > > I believe this refers to the additional security checks in "IBIS"
(which
    > > > may stand for Interagency Border Inspection System) that have been mentioned
    > > > here several times recently.
    > According to the new law effective 8/01/02, all visa approvals have to go through a
    > new administrative review only if the previous IBIS check is done more than 30 days
    > ago. And since it's true for almost all of the cases (can't recall anyone getting
    > the visa within less than 30 days after INS' approval) the procedure is appplied
    > universally, though London embassy seams kinda uneffected by this, I wonder why
    > (sorry fellow brits, it's not a jest), lool...
    > Robert

Joe \ Aug 7th 2002 12:23 pm

Ok but does anyone know where this new law is posted on any government site? I can't
find it anywhere. Also you would think that instead of waiting until AFTER the
interview to run the IBIS check, they would run it before. They know when the
interviews are so 30 days before the interview, run the check. Maybe that is what
London is doing (and maybe a few others).

"Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > "Joe \(JBH\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > But why would you run the same report that the INS just ran. The IBIS
is
    > > the additional security check that the INS is doing. Why would the
State
    > > Dept. do something as stupid as run the same report 2-3 months after the
INS
    > > did? Are they getting as bad as the INS?
    > >
    > > "L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > PEACHSTER wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > Ok I got this off the Docsteen board & am a bit concerned about
this.
    > > > > Does anyone have any insight on this matter???
    > > > >
    > > > > This was posted on the Asian American Couples group on Yahoo:
    > > > >
    > > > > I called the State Department and spoke with one of the "information
    > > > > officers". She told me that a new policy did go into affect August
1st.
    > > > > It states that due to September 11th. EVERY application will have to
go
    > > > > thru an "administrative review" after the interview takes place and
then
    > > > > the visa will be issued as soon as possible. She said this is a
world
    > > > > wide policy. I did ask if it was permanent and she said "for
now"?????
    > > > > She also said the new policy should be on the State Departments web site, but
    > > > > I can't find it...
    > > >
    > > > I believe this refers to the additional security checks in "IBIS"
(which
    > > > may stand for Interagency Border Inspection System) that have been mentioned
    > > > here several times recently.
    > According to the new law effective 8/01/02, all visa approvals have to go through a
    > new administrative review only if the previous IBIS check is done more than 30 days
    > ago. And since it's true for almost all of the cases (can't recall anyone getting
    > the visa within less than 30 days after INS' approval) the procedure is appplied
    > universally, though London embassy seams kinda uneffected by this, I wonder why
    > Robert

ftheone Aug 7th 2002 12:48 pm

My fiancee and her son were approved today at the Moscow Consulate. But they were told to come back in 'several weeks' to get the visas. She was given a piece of paper with some text, phone number and an e-mail address.
I heard a rumor that the Inspector General's Office had some people over there looking into some complaints of bribery. Bribery is pretty rampant in Moscow, and maybe it has spilled over into the US Embassy.
But that is unofficial, unvarified information. Take it with a grain of salt.

Toby Everett Aug 7th 2002 3:59 pm

[email protected] (Robert) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...

I'd be curious to know if anyone has any luck requesting that the IBIS check be
executed two weeks _prior_ to the scheduled interview date. In my case, my fiancee
lives in Chisinau, Moldova, but the consulate that will be handling her case is
located in Bucharest, Romania. It's not a big deal - only a 14 hour train ride in
each direction - but it would be nice if she didn't have to go back and forth to
Bucharest repeatedly. In the case of other applicants, it can be even more time
consuming and expensive to travel to the consulate. I can see no reason the
additional security screening could not be initiated prior to the interview, and in
this manner the check would not be the cause of additional hardship or delay.

I plan to request this via e-mail to the consulate in Bucharest (which I understand
to be a very efficient and generally supportive consulate), but I'd be curious to
know if anyone else has any luck. Maybe if we all make similar requests, it might
become part of the standard operating practice.

--Toby Everett

Russ Aug 7th 2002 5:36 pm

I just called the London embassy. Fiance visas are still issued on the same day
according to them

Russ

"ftheone" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My fiancee and her son were approved today at the Moscow Consulate. But they were
    > told to come back in 'several weeks' to get the visas. She was given a piece of
    > paper with some text, phone number and an e-mail address. I heard a rumor that the
    > Inspector General's Office had some people over there looking into some complaints
    > of bribery. Bribery is pretty rampant in Moscow, and maybe it has spilled over
    > into the US Embassy. But that is unofficial, unvarified information. Take it with
    > a grain of salt.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com