Reload this Page >

the world of psychology

the world of psychology

Old Dec 4th 2004, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

clerval is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the world of psychology

hia,

this post is also in US immigration, i just found this forum, sorry once again!!

i wasnt sure where to put this, so sorry if i got it wrong. I am only just in my second year of a psychology degree and am hoping to do a PGCE in post compulsary education. I wish to, after teaching for a couple of years, to do a masters in Ed psych. Alongside all of this, i want to move to the east coast of the USA. i know that each state is like its own coutry with its own regulations, but i need advice. Will my teaching qualification be recognised over there? and will my masters be recognised. I want to be able to practice psych as an ed psych there, but i dont want to finally get there and find out that all my qualifications mean nothing. I have been to the USA and worked there during my summer at a camp, and throughly enjoyed it. I did intend to research it all out but well, i never got a chance to. I am quite ahead of myself i know, im not even 20 yet, but i thought that i should at least investigate it all out, can do no harm i thought.

Would be grateful for any advice,

thanks
Old Dec 4th 2004, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the world of psychology

As you say, each state is like it's own country, especially in regards to teaching. The rules are different in each state, and to a certain extent, each city. Generally though, you need to have a teaching lisence issed by the state you are going to teach in and places are starting to require masters degrees as well. I don't know of a state that recognises anothers lisence so chances are you would have to gi back to university at some point.
It's not an easy task to get a job once you have all the qualifications in order either, I know a bunch of teachers and where you got your degree/masters/teaching lisence and who you know in he school system is playing a bigger part in getting a job.
Your question is really an impossible one to answer, you need to find out what city you want to go to and start from there. Call schools in the area, find out what the local laws are, find out where the best university is to get a lisence from, that sort of thing. You are also doing this well ahead of time, which is good and bad. Yes you can steer yourself to whats required, but the laws could change before you actually get what you need.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

thanks,

well, hopefully i should manage to find out something!

thanks again
Old Dec 4th 2004, 4:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Answered in your other thread.

Well, in maine, schools aren't allowed to hire people full time unless they have been certified and finger printed...and all teachers now have to be certified, which is pissing off MIL as she's been teaching art for about 15 odd years, and now has to get certified, which doesn't bother her to much, but she has to get certified in math, science, geography etc which she isn't to good at, well maths at least....all because, might one day sub for another teacher, which she hasn't....but weird thing, sub teachers don't need to be certified, do need to be finger printed though.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 6:41 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clerval
hia,

this post is also in US immigration, i just found this forum, sorry once again!!

i wasnt sure where to put this, so sorry if i got it wrong. I am only just in my second year of a psychology degree and am hoping to do a PGCE in post compulsary education. I wish to, after teaching for a couple of years, to do a masters in Ed psych. Alongside all of this, i want to move to the east coast of the USA. i know that each state is like its own coutry with its own regulations, but i need advice. Will my teaching qualification be recognised over there? and will my masters be recognised. I want to be able to practice psych as an ed psych there, but i dont want to finally get there and find out that all my qualifications mean nothing. I have been to the USA and worked there during my summer at a camp, and throughly enjoyed it. I did intend to research it all out but well, i never got a chance to. I am quite ahead of myself i know, im not even 20 yet, but i thought that i should at least investigate it all out, can do no harm i thought.

Would be grateful for any advice,

thanks
If I were you, I'd head over to the APA (American Psychology Association) website to search for information to your questions.

My hunch is that you will not be suitably qualified or certified to practise or teach on the UK qualifications alone.

As others have pointed out, State rules about teaching and praticing in many trades varies so please read up on State regulations too.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 4th 2004, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

thanks,

Im not sure, i have looked everywhere for info about teaching and practising in the states. It seems ok to teach, depending on the state, but i cant find anything about practicing, and the apa wont respond to my emails.

oh well

thanks all

clerval
Old Dec 4th 2004, 7:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

thanks,

Im not sure, i have looked everywhere for info about teaching and practising in the states. It seems ok to teach, depending on the state, but i cant find anything about practicing, and the apa wont respond to my emails.

oh well

thanks all

clerval
OK, if the APA don't respond to your emails, what about the BPS in the UK? Do they have any info on their website? If not, how about asking them for pointers?

I assume you're a member of the BPS (your degree is accredited by the BPS, isn't it?)....

NC Penguin
Old Dec 4th 2004, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

well, i looked at the bps , emailed them , said they couldnt help me. the TES have given me advice on teaching, but not psych. Yup, my degree is accreded by the BPS. And im a student member. i dont know, i dont know where else to look for psych help. i dont want to teach forever, i really want to practice

thanks again!
Old Dec 4th 2004, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

well, i looked at the bps , emailed them , said they couldnt help me. the TES have given me advice on teaching, but not psych. Yup, my degree is accreded by the BPS. And im a student member. i dont know, i dont know where else to look for psych help. i dont want to teach forever, i really want to practice
Well what might be worth doing, looking at teaching internships at uni's over here and asking them what is required...and maybe even doing a masters over here, be more helpful if you want to work here anyway...and that way, they'll be able to help you out after teaching to probably...
Old Dec 4th 2004, 7:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Bob
Well what might be worth doing, looking at teaching internships at uni's over here and asking them what is required...and maybe even doing a masters over here, be more helpful if you want to work here anyway...and that way, they'll be able to help you out after teaching to probably...
Caveat: Quality Masters degrees in the US are costly, particularly at private universities and especially for overseas students (which is the rate you'd be paying).

BTW- where are you studying your Bachelors?

NC Penguin
Old Dec 4th 2004, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

im doing my BSC HONS in the university of east london. i was hoping to go to the institute of education to do my PGCE PCET. does it make a difference about where i study?

are you a teacher btw?
Old Dec 4th 2004, 8:33 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

im doing my BSC HONS in the university of east london. i was hoping to go to the institute of education to do my PGCE PCET. does it make a difference about where i study?

are you a teacher btw?
Where you graduated from is not an issue per se except that most Americans, even those working in academia probably have not heard of Univ. of E. London. They've only heard of the big ones, like Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, etc.

So, you'd be up against Brits from more prestigious institutions so you'd better have a glowing academic record. Plus, if you do consider going to graduate shcool in the US, if you have a superb academic record, you may be eligible for scholarships.

I'm not a teacher. I went to your insitituion briefly. It sucked which is why I left. I hope it's far better these days.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

its ok in uel. Wouldnt it be very expensive to move there as a student and it would mean moving there in like 4 years, well, my acedemic record is very good in both gcse and degree im on my way to either a 1st or 2 1, but i had a few problems with a levels. i got a c in english lit and then a d and e in psych and bio, but there would it matter about a levels?
clerval

Last edited by clerval; Dec 4th 2004 at 9:09 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Caveat: Quality Masters degrees in the US are costly, particularly at private universities and especially for overseas students (which is the rate you'd be paying).
Very true, but you can also get work study programs and sponsorships that could help off set a lot of the costs...
And I know about private uni's...oh how I know about them....looking at about $150K left to pay back for the Bsc's that the misses studied at one...hmmm...nice
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

oh my god! i could never afford that!!! Im from an inner city working class family with student debt! I still live at home, to save money. And im sure there are many others who would get places over me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.