Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

....and world peace, Stan

....and world peace, Stan

Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: ....and world peace, Stan

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Girls are worse, although watching the angst from the boys about who to take as a date is scarey
Trouble is, both are girls ....girls without SSN's so cannot work, but still want to keep up with their friends (who do all work part-time). So, muggins here is funding everything.

Tried putting the wife out on the streets to earn some extra money last week, she came back with $20.50...I asked her who gave her the 50c and she said "all of them"
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:32 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Trouble is, both are girls ....girls without SSN's so cannot work, but still want to keep up with their friends (who do all work part-time). So, muggins here is funding everything.

Tried putting the wife out on the streets to earn some extra money last week, she came back with $20.50...I asked her who gave her the 50c and she said "all of them"
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
she's my 17 year old babysitter, there is no way I could commit to any kind of an answer
Well said, Patrick. A gentleman & a scholar. One must have standards.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight I had my first experience with teen scholarship princess pagents. My babysitter 'Spirit' (her real name) was in one tonight and we went down to support her. At first I thought spending two hours looking at 17 year old girls would be fun, my God these things are awful.

From 38 contestants in the first section it was wittled down to 15 semi-finalists - out of the 38 there where 8 black girls and not one made the semis - even though they were all excellent. The interview question was "what have you learnt from this experience" and no-one answered the question, they all went on about how wonderful all the other girls where.

The winner was so obvious from the get-go that the previous two hours seemed pretty pointless.

Another piece of Americana tasted, another thing to spit back out.
So how did Spirit do in the competition?

NC Penguin
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX

Feeling your pain. Glad I had boys. Though my almost 18 yr old, has a taste for $150 -$200 sneakers & Ralph Lauren limited edition Polo shirts. He does do some baby sitting & does few hours a week for "Not for profit" agency. Very difficult for teenagers to get work in NYC. seems if you live in say FL, lots of after school yobs.
Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; Mar 5th 2006 at 3:47 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:00 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh *ugger

We sat down last week and had a long "state of the union" chat about where we are going to be in 5 years time - and decided we are (ie I am) going to make a real effort to try to build a "real" life here. I've tried really really hard to be positive this week, and its been working....

And then I read this and all of a sudden I'm checking out this evenings flights back to England!!! And my daughters only 9 months......
Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

she's my 17 year old babysitter, there is no way I could commit to any kind of an answer
That's a big fat "YES"!!!!!! then.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
That's a big fat "YES"!!!!!! then.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Oh *ugger

We sat down last week and had a long "state of the union" chat about where we are going to be in 5 years time - and decided we are (ie I am) going to make a real effort to try to build a "real" life here. I've tried really really hard to be positive this week, and its been working....

And then I read this and all of a sudden I'm checking out this evenings flights back to England!!! And my daughters only 9 months......
My Mum alwasy told me kids got worse as they got older, I always used to think what rubbish. But now that I have 2 sons of my own ( 22 & 16) I really do believe her !!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was gobsmacked at the amount of money spent on sweet 16 parties as this is not something we celebrate in the UK. Some of the parties my daughter attended cost $60K+.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:22 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was gobsmacked at the amount of money spent on sweet 16 parties as this is not something we celebrate in the UK. Some of the parties my daughter attended cost $60K+.
$60K????? Who's your daughter....Paris Hilton?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:25 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
My Mum alwasy told me kids got worse as they got older, I always used to think what rubbish. But now that I have 2 sons of my own ( 22 & 16) I really do believe her !!!
You're really not trying to cheer me up, are you!!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
$60K????? Who's your daughter....Paris Hilton?
OMG nooooooooooooo she didn't have a sweet sixteen party. That's what some of her schoolfriends parents paid for their daughters' parties.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

For a 16 year old's party? What in the he ll are they doing? For someone turning 16, somebody actually spends that much money? That's just embarrassing.....
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

OMG nooooooooooooo she didn't have a sweet sixteen party. That's what some of her schoolfriends parents paid for their daughters' parties.
Yep, I know your not kidding. Sweet 16's, Bar Mitzvahs, Bat Mitzvahs, 18th Birthdays & weddings. I've been to some that cost that much & more.
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.