Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

World cup stats - as seen by the USA (grin)

World cup stats - as seen by the USA (grin)

Old Jun 17th 2006, 6:05 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default World cup stats - as seen by the USA (grin)

Stat number 1 (for real, from CNN today)...

Counting the ’02 and ’06 World Cups, the Yanks are 2-0-1 in white and 0-3 in blue.

Now WHO the heck decided to even make a note of starting that stat in 2002.

I was joking the other day when I suggested the scores were related to the color of the players under-pants - ITS NEARLY for REAL..

Other other funny US stats ?
Old Jun 17th 2006, 6:31 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: World cup stats - as seen by the USA (grin)

They're 5th (I think) in the FIFA world rankings.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 3:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s

Other other funny US stats ?
when England won with an own goal, they were shite...when the US gets a jammy own goal, it's fantastic...they have yet to score a goal under there own steam in this cup too
Old Jun 19th 2006, 4:47 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
they have yet to score a goal under there own steam in this cup too
an allowed goal...

effin Italian primadonnas.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe how the American sports channels are attack the officials. The Red cards were all legit and the disallowed goal was followed perfectly to the letter of the rule book regarding offsides and obstructing the goalkeeper. You'd think the Ref had an Italian shirt on the way they have been weeping.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I cannot believe how the American sports channels are attack the officials. The Red cards were all legit and the disallowed goal was followed perfectly to the letter of the rule book regarding offsides and obstructing the goalkeeper. You'd think the Ref had an Italian shirt on the way they have been weeping.
To be fair one of the American commentators clearly said it was a 'good call by the referee' and 'he was interferring with play'.

They did bitch about the sending offs a bit too much though.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

When did two footed challenges become ok? I'm having a running argument with an American on another board about the straight red card that the American got for his two footed challenge. Here's what I got back.

Two-footed late tackles don't instantly get red cards though. Pointing out that it was two-footed isn't exactly noteworthy. What should get a red card (if you could only pick one from the two...) a late two-footed tackle or a malicious one footed tackle? The malicious one footed tackle, obviously. Because that is the purpose for the red card.

As to your second point, any ref that notices someone sliding in late and then goes to a red on the next late slide without warning the player is a ref that shouldn't be in the game. I'll give this ref the benefit of the doubt and assume he thought malice, which I disagree with, but it's certainly a step above the blunder that failing to warn a player and going right to the red would be.

Two-footed late tackles aren't instantly red cards. Let's not push that myth. Obviously a two footed tackle without malice is going to be closer than a one footed tackle without malice, but it's not one of those things where the ref is going to go "late and two footed...RED".
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

When did two footed challenges become ok?
when you get away with it, otherwise it ain't...and they can be really nasty, anything from behind or along the tendon could get you in serious trouble...

as for the rest, well I kind of got lost in that person's waffle
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:58 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

When did two footed challenges become ok? I'm having a running argument with an American on another board about the straight red card that the American got for his two footed challenge. Here's what I got back.

Two-footed late tackles don't instantly get red cards though. Pointing out that it was two-footed isn't exactly noteworthy. What should get a red card (if you could only pick one from the two...) a late two-footed tackle or a malicious one footed tackle? The malicious one footed tackle, obviously. Because that is the purpose for the red card.

As to your second point, any ref that notices someone sliding in late and then goes to a red on the next late slide without warning the player is a ref that shouldn't be in the game. I'll give this ref the benefit of the doubt and assume he thought malice, which I disagree with, but it's certainly a step above the blunder that failing to warn a player and going right to the red would be.

Two-footed late tackles aren't instantly red cards. Let's not push that myth. Obviously a two footed tackle without malice is going to be closer than a one footed tackle without malice, but it's not one of those things where the ref is going to go "late and two footed...RED".
I'm guessing even if the guy had pulled a .38, it would have been an unfair decision.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 2:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'm guessing even if the guy had pulled a .38, it would have been an unfair decision.
only if there weren't any malice
Old Jun 20th 2006, 2:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

All rules in football start as thus.

If in the opinion of the referee..........

so hence, if in the opinion of the referee a player commits a foul which merits "serious foul play" he will be sent off from the field of play.

all it needs according to FIFA is the referees opinion.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Commentators know the rules better than the referees. I was listening to a match where the commentator declared that it was alright to do a bit of shirt/short pulling and if they are going to blow up for that each time the game would not get going. They would soon get pissed off if I were a ref then, and what in the hell is a diagonal triangular pass? They make the expression that "it is a whole new ball game' reality.

Last edited by tony126; Jun 20th 2006 at 6:23 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:41 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
All rules in football start as thus.

If in the opinion of the referee..........

so hence, if in the opinion of the referee a player commits a foul which merits "serious foul play" he will be sent off from the field of play.

all it needs according to FIFA is the referees opinion.
And to be able to justify that opinion to FIFA if called into question.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

we are not really fans of football in our house but watch the world cup games and enjoy them very much including the USA ones, moto GP is our sport, being bike fans.
As we are moving over this year we thought we would like to go and watch the moto GP at Laguna Seca next year so i visited the website, on there there is a run down of last years results and commentary, this is what it says:
'Rossi wins but americans come 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th!!!'
then there is a write up about young Nicky Hadens victory and how well he raced etc etc HE CAME SECOND!!!! no mention of the winner Valentino Rossi really apart from a couple of lines.
I did laugh bless them they really do seem oblivious to the rest of the world
I suppose you could say that Rossi beating them at home is another example of Italians upsetting them in the world of sport, just like the ref the other night
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:26 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
I did laugh bless them they really do seem oblivious to the rest of the world.
Yeah, only in America does the local press focus on domestic competitors. Give me a break.