British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Working in the USA - What Qualifications Required (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/working-usa-what-qualifications-required-105132/)

bwelburn Jul 23rd 2001 8:52 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best group to place this but here goes.

Does anyone know or have experience of the level of qualifications US employers are looking for?

I work in the pharmaceutical field and hold HND in Chemistry and have 17 years working experience. Will I struggle as I do not have a bachelors degree?

Thanks

Icono Clast Jul 24th 2001 5:45 am

bwelburn <[email protected]>
    >
    >

I hope so. Although lower than yours, the USA's rate of unemployment is too high.
Were I an employer, I'd hire a local in preference to someone from elsewhere.

I. Wilson Gittleman Jul 24th 2001 7:41 am

Can't answer your question because I do not know what an HND is.

Pharmacists (registered) here require, for licensure, not just a bachelor's degree,
but a degree from accredited pharmaceutical college--a 3-4 year process with the
degree (depending on what the school uses) R.Ph. or Pharm.D.

Pharmacists' assistants are needed, depending on what you know; but how are we to
know what an HND means????????????????

The palest ink is better than the best memory. --Chinese proverb There is no end to
collecting books. --Book of Ecclesiastes To three possessions shalt thou look:
Acquire a field, a friend, a book. --Samuel haNagid, Vizier to the King of Granada

Mickey Jul 24th 2001 2:01 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Higher National Diploma. Sounds like British version of junior college.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Me Jul 28th 2001 5:00 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Many pharmaceutical companies and retail outlets in the United States have their own
web site where job postings can be found. Just do a web search and you'll find plenty
of information about this. In addition, you need to be a United States citizen or
have at least an H1B visa before you can legally work in the United States. Contact
your nearest American embassy or consul to find out what the legal requirements are.

Geebee Jul 29th 2001 5:17 pm

[usenetquote2]>> Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Not sure if this[/usenetquote2]
is the best group to place this but here goes.
[usenetquote2]>> Does anyone know or have[/usenetquote2]
experience of the level of qualifications US
[usenetquote2]>> employers are looking for?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I work in the pharmaceutical field and hold HND in Chemistry and have 17 years[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> working experience. Will I struggle as I do not have a bachelors degree?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
No requirements if you are Mexican or Vietnemese.