Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working in the USA, ASAP !

Working in the USA, ASAP !

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

ronit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in the USA, ASAP !

I used to live in the us where I had a diplomatic visa and worked for a major media company in NYC. Now I have a reqular tourist visa and am working in London. My brother is a US citizen.

I want to move back to the USA and work there as soon as possible. What is the quickest way to do so ?

Thank you for your help,

---Ronit
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 4:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the USA, ASAP !

Originally posted by ronit ..... I want to move back to the USA and work there as soon as possible. What is the quickest way to do so?
I assume that you don't fall into the computer, medical, or scientific skills category? ..... So, there isn't a quick way, if there was everyone would be using it!

Which means that you are in the same boat as everyone else who is looking for a fast and easy way to emigrate to the USA. Read on. ....

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

I hope this helps.