British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Working in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/working-usa-250050/)

fatman Aug 20th 2004 9:12 pm

Working in USA

I finally made it to the states 2 days ago. I went through JFK as I heard that gives you the EAD stamp everyone needs. However I am a little confused as to whether I received it as the whole thing got smudged. Is it normal to retain part of your I-94 card? on the reverse of it I got a stamp that says Employment and then the next two words are unreadable. Also the immigration official never looked at my chest x-ray. Are you allowed to open them after you get in to the states. I'm curious to see how much I've damaged my self in the boozer all these years :beer: :beer: :beer:
nice one

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 20th 2004 9:42 pm

Re: Working in USA

Originally Posted by fatman
I finally made it to the states 2 days ago. I went through JFK as I heard that gives you the EAD stamp everyone needs. However I am a little confused as to whether I received it as the whole thing got smudged. Is it normal to retain part of your I-94 card? on the reverse of it I got a stamp that says Employment and then the next two words are unreadable. Also the immigration official never looked at my chest x-ray. Are you allowed to open them after you get in to the states. I'm curious to see how much I've damaged my self in the boozer all these years :beer: :beer: :beer:
nice one

You need the I94 for sending in when you adjust status, they want a copy.

If you have a stamp on the back, you have it. I have my X Ray but have never bothered, it was only the envelope that was sealed.

Now you need a SSN!

Bob Aug 20th 2004 9:59 pm

I finally made it to the states 2 days ago. I went through JFK as I heard that gives you the EAD stamp everyone needs. However I am a little confused as to whether I received it as the whole thing got smudged. Is it normal to retain part of your I-94 card? on the reverse of it I got a stamp that says Employment and then the next two words are unreadable. Also the immigration official never looked at my chest x-ray. Are you allowed to open them after you get in to the states. I'm curious to see how much I've damaged my self in the boozer all these years ...
nice one

Means you got your temp ead, lucky git :p
I wouldn't open the x-ray incase they ever want to look at it for some reason...I was advised to keep it sealed at least...

FlyergirlUK Aug 20th 2004 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by bobz
I wouldn't open the x-ray incase they ever want to look at it for some reason...I was advised to keep it sealed at least...

I kept mine sealed til after I had my AOS interview then I opened it up and had a good butchers at it, for what it's worth - it's now on it's way to becoming a work of art! :p

Minty Aug 21st 2004 3:04 pm

nice one

Is it really true that entering via JFK you stand a better chance of the EAD stamp? Better than LAX, my ususal POE?

Minty

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 21st 2004 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Minty
Is it really true that entering via JFK you stand a better chance of the EAD stamp? Better than LAX, my ususal POE?

Minty

The only one that does it according to recent reports, so if you want it, yes.

But only good for 90 days and not much use without SSN.

Bob Aug 21st 2004 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
The only one that does it according to recent reports, so if you want it, yes.

But only good for 90 days and not much use without SSN.

And no good after you get married....

Franklin Aug 21st 2004 4:23 pm

I finally made it to the states 2 days ago. I went through JFK as I heard that gives you the EAD stamp everyone needs. However I am a little confused as to whether I received it as the whole thing got smudged. Is it normal to retain part of your I-94 card? on the reverse of it I got a stamp that says Employment and then the next two words are unreadable. Also the immigration official never looked at my chest x-ray. Are you allowed to open them after you get in to the states. I'm curious to see how much I've damaged my self in the boozer all these years :beer:
nice one

I never understood why we get told to hand in our X-ray at the POE :confused: ... immigration officer (at JFK) told me he didn't want it and said I should show it to my doctor, which made sense; I went to a lot of trouble putting it in the hand luggage without bending it thinking they would just take it off me at the POE (I didn't expect them to examine it). So I kept it safe, so safe in fact I don't know where it is! Probably lost between apartment moves or maybe my ex took it as a momento! ;) :beer:

Bob Aug 21st 2004 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
I never understood why we get told to hand in our X-ray at the POE :confused: ... immigration officer (at JFK) told me he didn't want it and said I should show it to my doctor, which made sense; I went to a lot of trouble putting it in the hand luggage without bending it thinking they would just take it off me at the POE (I didn't expect them to examine it). So I kept it safe, so safe in fact I don't know where it is! Probably lost between apartment moves of maybe my ex took it as a momento! ;) :beer:

Tell me about it, it's not easy packing that lump, the least they could do is pretend to be interested in it :)

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 21st 2004 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by bobz
And no good after you get married....

Good for 90 days married or not.

But it may take a month or so to get the SSN and then you are unlikley to get the EAD until well later so it will probably be a temp job for a month or so if you are lucky to get such a job.

fatman Aug 22nd 2004 3:21 pm

Good for 90 days married or not.

But it may take a month or so to get the SSN and then you are unlikley to get the EAD until well later so it will probably be a temp job for a month or so if you are lucky to get such a job.

I'll prob be married before I get a job so I guess it ain't that much use unless I get an ssn number quick. Just for the record, for anyone going to America, go via JFK for an EAD. It's easy to get two connecting flights. I found on STA travel going to LAX via JFK was cheaper than going to LAX dirct from London. If you are under 26 you should check out STA tavel for your flights cos mine was abut $300 cheaper than anywhere else.
:D

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 22nd 2004 3:29 pm

I'll prob be married before I get a job so I guess it ain't that much use unless I get an ssn number quick.

Just to make myself clear, it does NOT expire on Marriage.

And if you are under 26 do not forget to sign up for the Selective Service.

Bob Aug 22nd 2004 4:25 pm

...And if you are under 26 do not forget to sign up for the Selective Service.

What's selective service?

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 22nd 2004 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
What's selective service?

http://www.sss.gov/

You too could be on the next plane to Iraq, and no air miles

Manc Aug 22nd 2004 5:32 pm

http://www.sss.gov/

You too could be on the next plane to Iraq, and no air miles

stuff selective service...........

IF the USA does not allow me to take the oath because of it then it is their loss not mine.