British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Working for a US company in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/working-us-company-uk-827785/)

N1cky Mar 6th 2014 8:42 pm

Working for a US company in the UK

I'll be moving back to the UK in a couple of months. Anyone know if it legal for me to work, as a contractor, for a US company while resident in the UK?

Thanks

steveq Mar 6th 2014 8:44 pm

Re: Working for a US company in the UK

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11161649)
I'll be moving back to the UK in a couple of months. Anyone know if it legal for me to work, as a contractor, for a US company while resident in the UK?

Thanks

If you're English, why not ?

Pulaski Mar 6th 2014 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11161649)

So long as you pay income tax and NI in the UK, and are either a British citizen or hold a valid work visa, sure, it'll be no problem at all.

N1cky Mar 6th 2014 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 11161654)
If you're English, why not ?

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11161661)
So long as you pay income tax and NI in the UK, and are either a British citizen or hold a valid work visa, sure, it'll be no problem at all.

Thanks. Thought as much, but wanted to check. It's a long shot that work will go for it, but wanted to make sure it was legal before I suggested it to them.

steveq Mar 6th 2014 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11161681)
Thanks. Thought as much, but wanted to check. It's a long shot that work will go for it, but wanted to make sure it was legal before I suggested it to them.

You'll have to file your own tax return in the UK, rather than PAYE, but its really not too bad to do - a lot simpler than the USA I think, by the accounts I've read here (pun not intended)

Hotscot Mar 6th 2014 11:05 pm

My business is based in the US but when I go home I'm going to employ myself from the UK.

RICH Mar 6th 2014 11:07 pm

Are you talking about continuing your job but working remotely?

I don't know the ins and outs, but you for tax purposes, at least, you have to be careful about what is a contractor and what is an employee. Shouldn't be a problem immigration -wise though.
:fingerscrossed:

Hotscot Mar 6th 2014 11:10 pm

You also have to be careful re. pensions/retirement plan.

N1cky Mar 6th 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks everyone, I'd pay the taxes and what not, that would be fine.

It would only be short term, until the end of the year maximum. Long term it wouldn't be feasible for the company, but I know they will try and help me out as best they can.

This way, it could mean that we're not returning to the UK with both of us out of work.

Hotscot Mar 6th 2014 11:49 pm

So..this is related to your other issue?

N1cky Mar 7th 2014 2:03 am

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 11161949)
So..this is related to your other issue?

Yes, things took an even worse turn today. See the Pissed Off thread for details

Hotscot Mar 7th 2014 5:14 am

Sorry man...I can't believe this.

SultanOfSwing Mar 7th 2014 1:40 pm

Shouldn't be an issue, as others have said. You're a British citizen so you have the right to work in the UK. You'll effectively be self employed, hence the need to file your own taxes, as has been said.

The only limiting factor would be the willingness of the US employer, which doesn't appear to be an issue so you should be good to go.

It's a shame it had to get to that stage for you, of course. A better result would be if the US company would be able to sort out a visa for you. Is that not something they would be willing or able to do?

ubernathan Mar 7th 2014 6:27 pm

Unless the US company has a UK subsidiary, there's no legal entity to employ you to work here. When I've been in this situation, I had to be self employed (I'm a UK citizen, but the company had no UK legal entity).

ETA: Beware, as a self employed person, if your VATable income is greater than the VAT threshold, you'll have that hassle too. I got around it by having no vatable income -- all the income was for services exported to the US. My accountant had to write some documentation to that effect.