Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working in the US

Working in the US

Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Bugermeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in the US

I have an interview with a company soon that will entail me working for them in the US (assuming I am successful) what are the kinds of information that that the Embassy (or the US Government) going to want to know about me?

As afar as I am aware the company have a number of UK citizens already in the US working and they may well be experienced in the process, however I don't want to appear to be completely ignorant about the process.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the US

Your first issue is going to be what visa you are going to use to get there because if it's H1B then I hope they can wait until Oct 2009 for you to start. Have you looked into that part of it yet?
The things USCIS will be looking for are whether you are any kind of threat and how likely you are to try and illegally emigrate. And whether you are taking a job from an American citizen of course!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

I haven't looked into that, I assume that it will be an L1 visa (a couple of colleagues that have gone a similar route have L1), as far as a threat is concerned, I can't see one, white, CofE, UK born and bred, police officer as a father... Not sure what else to add......
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

So it's a transfer within your current company? Then that's an L1.
If you don't already work for them then it's a H1B, in which case you'd be better off working for them over in the UK for the required year and then doing L1. It would probably be faster too than waiting for next year's H1B.
Oh and they want to know about any criminal record.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, what do they consider a criminal record, I was done for Drink driving some 20 odd years ago and during the split from my wife I accepted a caution about 2 years ago.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

I am a photojournalist, I don't know if that makes a difference?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bugermeister
I am a photojournalist, I don't know if that makes a difference?
Probably an I visa with tedious yearly renewals
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, what do they consider a criminal record, I was done for Drink driving some 20 odd years ago and during the split from my wife I accepted a caution about 2 years ago.
If the caution is for a drunk driving offense, they may look fairly closely at you in that regard.

Someone on the forum who was already in the U.S. had a drunk driving offense, then a blood test showed he drank more than "average" and he was denied a visa and had to leave the U.S.

I have no idea if your situation could be nearly that serious, but I personally might suggest at least a one-time consultation with an immigration attorney.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

What was the caution for, it may make a difference.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Try doing a search for 'crimes of moral turpitude' (I think that's it!).
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Try doing a search for 'crimes of moral turpitude' (I think that's it!).
A simple DUI doesn't tend to be a CIMT (crime involving moral turpitude). But some can.

However, in addition to criminal grounds, repeated DUIs can raise the issue of a mental disorder with associated harmful behaviour. I believe (if I remember correctly) that's what happened to the other poster.

Here's the thread I was thinking about:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494203
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
A simple DUI doesn't tend to be a CIMT (crime involving moral turpitude). But some can.

However, in addition to criminal grounds, repeated DUIs can raise the issue of a mental disorder with associated harmful behaviour. I believe (if I remember correctly) that's what happened to the other poster.

Here's the thread I was thinking about:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494203
There were 2 issues mentioned. The drink driving from 20 years ago (doubtful if that would mean anything now) and a police caution for something 2 years ago (this might be critical)
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
There were 2 issues mentioned. The drink driving from 20 years ago (doubtful if that would mean anything now) and a police caution for something 2 years ago (this might be critical)
True - it does totally depend what the caution was for.

And I agree, I doubt they'd be interested in the 20 year old thing, unless the 2 year old caution was for the same.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

The DUI was 20 years ago,, no further offences.

The Caution was brought about by the ex-wife turning up 6 months after we split at 0300hrs drunk and kicking $hit out of the front door, there was a confrontation and the police were called, and I ended up arrested for assault. The Caution was because I admitted that I may have shoved her, they offered a caution which I accepted.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

The DUI was 20 years ago,, no further offences.

The Caution was brought about by the ex-wife turning up 6 months after we split at 0300hrs drunk and kicking $hit out of the front door, there was a confrontation and the police were called, and I ended up arrested for assault. The Caution was because I admitted that I may have shoved her, they offered a caution which I accepted.
Be aware that (AFAIK) the US considers a caution to be a conviction (i.e. the same as pleading guilty).

In any event, I believe the relevant question refers to "arrests", not merely convictions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.