Reload this Page >

Working simultaneously in USA and Canada

Working simultaneously in USA and Canada

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

TaxMess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working simultaneously in USA and Canada

Hi,

Thank you for your help in advance. I am about to enter into a potentially complicated tax situation and wanted to make sure my understanding is broadly correct.

The situation:
UK Citizen resident in USA
Working 2 days a week in Canada (staying overnight in Canada)
Working 3 days a week from home in the USA

As I understand it I will pay Canadian income tax on the portion of income earned in Canada (being 2/5) and have to file a Canadian income tax return. I will not be tax resident in Canada due to 183 day rule and ties to USA and hence won't have to declare worldwide income.

I will also have to file a US tax return on which I will declare world wide income (including Canadian income) I will be able to apply a tax credit for Canadian tax paid against federal tax but which for my state NJ will not be credited against state tax.

Anything I am missing?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working simultaneously in USA and Canada

Any foreign holdings that meet the requirements for FBAR / FATCA?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

A couple of UK bank accounts and a SIPP which presumably gets reported?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion:
Canada uses 'significant ties' to determine residency. You are significantly tied to Canada, but as you are "tax resident in USA" you should be deemed non-resident in Canada due to the tax treaty. I think you have it broadly correct. There's a NR form you can send to CRA to formalize this -- but know that they are currently taking 1 year to process it.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Not tax-related, however: make sure any visa requirements are in order for regular ongoing weekly work in Canada.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaxMess
UK Citizen resident in USA
Working 2 days a week in Canada (staying overnight in Canada)
Do you have permission to work in Canada?

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2016, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Will be obtaining a work permit. More focused on the tax implications to be honest.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Will be obtaining a work permit. More focused on the tax implications to be honest.
I would also look at the visa side of things - what kind of work permit? LMIA's aren't possible for part-time working, and you'll need a sponsoring Canadian employer, not sure you'll have that though?
Old Nov 25th 2016, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

I have a number of options due to how the opportunity came about and a supportive employer... so should be ok
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it I will pay Canadian income tax on the portion of income earned in Canada (being 2/5) and have to file a Canadian income tax return. I will not be tax resident in Canada due to 183 day rule and ties to USA and hence won't have to declare worldwide income.
Mmmm, you haven't given enough information to answer this one, have a read of IRS publication 597.

Depends on which payroll you're on. Basically if you're on a US payroll and in Canada for less than 183 days a year, there's no difference to working in the US. Your employer pays you, you fill in your 1040.

If you're on a Canadian payroll while in Canada, you file a T1 (make sure you use the non-resident payroll code on your TD1 when you start work, equivalent of W-4) every year, put your US address on it, pay any tax on the Canadian-source income only, which will probably all be on your T4 slip (and thus already withheld).

Then on your 1040 you claim a foreign tax credit on 1116 (which under the tax treaty includes payroll taxes) and fill in your 1040 as you regularly would. Or you can use 2555-EZ if all your Canadian-source income is employment-based, bit easier to do than a 1116 usually, the choice is yours.

Effectively you pay taxes on the Canadian income in both places and claim a credit in the US for the Canadian tax. Main thing is, make sure your health insurance covers Canada!
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I would also look at the visa side of things - what kind of work permit? LMIA's aren't possible for part-time working, and you'll need a sponsoring Canadian employer, not sure you'll have that though?
If he's an intracompany transferee which sounds likely, no LMIA required and the US employer can sponsor him for it. In fact they can have a blanket agreement for the company. Lots of Canadian and US companies do this. The reverse is an L-1 blanket petition and you just show up at the POE with a completed I-129S. And if you're in the other country for less than 183 days per year, it can be renewed indefinitely. L-1 intermittent.

I remember during the depths of the recession, I think it was in 2009 I got chatting with a CBSA inspector at Coutts POE and he said to me "we've denied entry to 21 Americans who were trying to work here illegally in the past month! It's a new record!"

21 whole Americans at the largest POE into Alberta. Gasp.