Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

working in Nunavut (Arctic Canada)

working in Nunavut (Arctic Canada)

Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:44 pm
Bravenewwhirl

Default Re: working in Nunavut (Arctic Canada)

>>>>>>>I have already telephoned through from UK to Canada (Head
"office" is in Toronto) re my volunteering

What "head office"? If you are a christian fundamentalist stay the hell out of there.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:41 am
Polar

On 12 Aug 2002 15:44:28 -0700, [email protected] (BraveNewWhirl) wrote:

>>>>>>>>I have already telephoned through from UK to Canada (Head
    >"office" is in Toronto) re my volunteering
    >What "head office"? If you are a christian fundamentalist stay the hell out
    >of there.

Very nice manners.

--
Polar

Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:03 am
Dennis P. Harris

On 12 Aug 2002 15:44:28 -0700 in rec.travel.usa-canada,
[email protected] (BraveNewWhirl) wrote:

> What "head office"? If you are a christian fundamentalist stay the hell out
    > of there.

if you read the whole damn thread and got your head out of your butt, you would know
that's not the case.

another troll for the killfile (sigh...)

Old Aug 13th 2002, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

dondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: working in Nunavut (Arctic Canada)

Once again guys - I did not mean to start any fights - I genuinely wanted opinions of folk who had first had experience of the Arctic that I could not get from reading etc.
This was never meant to be a discussion about ME and MY personality - after all none of you know me any more than I know you! But many thanks to Polar and Dennis for your responses to newcomer Bravenewwhirl - like you said "nice manners" so far this conversation has had nothing to do with "religion" or others' beliefs. As far as I'm concerned that doesn't come into it other than for me to learn as much as I can about the cultural background of the Inuit folk I am volunteering to "help". It seems like some people out there want me to believe that "help" is the wrong word - you are making it sound like I am the "enemy" rather than a willing young "volunteer".
If anyone is actually interested or has any FACTS the people I am in contact with in Toronto are listed as FRONTIER FOUNDATION INC. - a "non-demoninational" help group set up to help "disadvantaged people of Canada" through building and education programs.
I have to wonder whether Bravenewwhirl has ever been any further north than I have myself!!
Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:56 pm
Bravenewwhirl

> If anyone is actually interested or has any FACTS the people I am in contact with
    > in Toronto are listed as FRONTIER FOUNDATION INC. - a "non-demoninational" help
    > group set up to help "disadvantaged people of Canada" through building and
    > education programs. I have to wonder whether Bravenewwhirl has ever been any
    > further north than I have myself!!

"Disadvantaged" eh. That tells me everything I want to know. The only disadvantage
the Inuit have is haviong to put up with well intentioned if mis guided southerners
who want to "better their life."

Do you have a letter from either Ikaluit or Nunavut welcoming you? Have you asked?
What chuch is behind this thinly disguised missionary effort?

I have lived and worked in the Arctic and seen what your kind have done. Stay out of
there unless you are being invited in.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 10:00 pm
Bravenewwhirl

> If anyone is actually interested or has any FACTS the people I am in contact with
    > in Toronto are listed as FRONTIER FOUNDATION INC. - a "non-demoninational" help
    > group set up to help "disadvantaged people of Canada" through building and
    > education programs. I have to wonder whether Bravenewwhirl has ever been any
    > further north than I have myself!!

Absolutely ZERO hits on YAHOOO and Alta Vista Canada for this allegedly innocuous
organization. Maybe you should check out who you are working with.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 11:40 pm
Polar

On 13 Aug 2002 15:05:00 GMT, dondon <[email protected]> wrote:

>Once again guys - I did not mean to start any fights - I genuinely wanted opinions
    >of folk who had first had experience of the Arctic that I could not get from reading
    >etc. This was never meant to be a discussion about ME and MY personality - after all
    >none of you know me any more than I know you! But many thanks to Polar and Dennis
    >for your responses to newcomer Bravenewwhirl - like you said "nice manners" so far
    >this conversation has had nothing to do with "religion" or others' beliefs. As far
    >as I'm concerned that doesn't come into it other than for me to learn as much as I
    >can about the cultural background of the Inuit folk I am volunteering to "help".
    >It seems like some people out there want me to believe that "help" is the wrong word
    >- you are making it sound like I am the "enemy" rather than a willing young
    >"volunteer". If anyone is actually interested or has any FACTS the people I am in
    >contact with in Toronto are listed as FRONTIER FOUNDATION INC. - a
    >"non-demoninational" help group set up to help "disadvantaged people of Canada"
    >through building and education programs. I have to wonder whether Bravenewwhirl has
    >ever been any further north than I have myself!!

Relax, Dondon; don't pay any attention to the "anti-missionary" diatribes.

The poster probably didn't bother to go back in the thread to find the where the term
came in; he just blasted off on his own "mission".

No doubt there *have* been "southerners" who tried to impose their values/ideas on
the natives, but that doesn't mean you can be arrested, tried, and convicted on those
charges by someone who doesn't know you, doesn't know your organization, doesn't, in
fact, know *anything*.

I hope this doesn't deter you from pressing ahead on what sounds like the opportunity
of a lifetime.

Remember Polar's advice: The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Keep after 'em, nicely
but persistently.

--
Polar

Old Aug 15th 2002, 1:20 am
Gabby

"BraveNewWhirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
google.com
    > > If anyone is actually interested or has any FACTS the people I am in contact with
    > > in Toronto are listed as FRONTIER FOUNDATION INC. - a "non-demoninational" help
    > > group set up to help "disadvantaged people of Canada" through building and
    > > education programs. I have to wonder whether Bravenewwhirl has ever been any
    > > further north than I have myself!!
    > Absolutely ZERO hits on YAHOOO and Alta Vista Canada for this allegedly innocuous
    > organization. Maybe you should check out who you are working with.

Google search, Page 1, #10

http://www.fron-
tiersfoundation.org/About_Us/organization.html

Foundation has been in existence for 24 years. 8 of the 10 on their board of
directors are from First Nation communities.

Gabby

Old Aug 15th 2002, 4:11 am
Floyd Davidson

"Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"BraveNewWhirl" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> > If anyone is actually interested or has any FACTS the people I am in contact
    >> > with in Toronto are listed as FRONTIER FOUNDATION INC. - a "non-demoninational"
    >> > help group set up to help "disadvantaged people of Canada" through building and
    >> > education programs. I have to wonder whether Bravenewwhirl has ever been any
    >> > further north than I have myself!!
    >> Absolutely ZERO hits on YAHOOO and Alta Vista Canada for this allegedly innocuous
    >> organization. Maybe you should check out who you are working with.
    >Google search, Page 1, #10
    >http://www.fro-
    >ntiersfoundation.org/About_Us/organization.html

>Foundation has been in existence for 24 years. 8 of the 10 on their board of
    >directors are from First Nation communities.
    >Gabby

Well, I'm not the only one who makes typos! That should be *34* years!

I did a google search too. I read their web page, and I was impressed. Instead of a
bunch of preachers, the Board of Directors has a bunch of attorneys! And it appears
most or all of those attorneys are Native. I'm impressed.

I'm also somewhat impressed with this young lady, the OP, dondon. She sounds bright,
full of adventure, and willing to learn. What else is there???

Since I was one of those who first mentioned missionaries in negative terms, and I'm
*very* serious about not going there to be a missionary, I don't mind saying that
_nothing_ I've read about this Frontier Foundation or the OP is causing me any
misgivings about suggesting that at the least it would be a wonderful learning
experience. Who knows what else it might lead to! I came north looking for
adventure too, in what was going to be a one year stint at a job with a fat paycheck.
I retired from that job 34 years later. Who the heck would I be to suggest to an
adventurous young person that staying home is better? Sometimes it's just a good
idea to re-home..

Go for it, lady!

--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.ptialas-
ka.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) [email protected]

Old Aug 15th 2002, 9:56 am
Just Joined

dondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gaby, Polar & Floyd - I know Frontier IS on the net - that's where I found it! Perhaps Bravenewwhirl is not as WWW wise as the rest of us eh?
Your replies were very reassuring and encouraging - my application is at this moment in the skies on its way to Canada - and having read all of this even my mom is coming round to the idea of this being a good life-learning experience for me!
Old Aug 15th 2002, 11:35 pm
Bravenewwhirl

> >
    > > Absolutely ZERO hits on YAHOOO and Alta Vista Canada for this allegedly innocuous
    > > organization. Maybe you should check out who you are working with.
    > Google search, Page 1, #10
    > http://www.fr-
    > ontiersfoundation.org/About_Us/organization.html

> Foundation has been in existence for 24 years. 8 of the 10 on their board of
    > directors are from First Nation communities.
    > Gabby

I checked it out. It's a christian front.

Old Aug 15th 2002, 11:40 pm
Bravenewwhirl

> Relax, Dondon; don't pay any attention to the "anti-missionary" diatribes.
    > The poster probably didn't bother to go back in the thread to find the where the
    > term came in; he just blasted off on his own "mission".

At least my mission will not corrupt aboriginals. The christians have a lot to atone
for - and here is another one going into an aboriginal community with the likes of
you backing him/her. Do you not know what was done to these people in christian
residential schools? Shame!

I asked if that person had a letter of invitation or welcome from the North - and
that question was not answered. She/he is going up there because the locals are
"disadvantaged" in the view of some Toronto lawyers. Disgusting.

Old Aug 15th 2002, 11:45 pm
Bravenewwhirl

dondon <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks Gaby, Polar & Floyd - I know Frontier IS on the net - that's where I found
    > it! Perhaps Bravenewwhirl is not as WWW wise as the rest of us eh?

Perhaps some of you are just a little ignorant too. The name is frontiersfoundation -
on the Internet. Don't be so g.d. insulting.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 5:19 am
Floyd Davidson

[email protected] (BraveNewWhirl) wrote:
    >> Relax, Dondon; don't pay any attention to the "anti-missionary" diatribes.
    >> The poster probably didn't bother to go back in the thread to find the where the
    >> term came in; he just blasted off on his own "mission".
    >At least my mission will not corrupt aboriginals. The christians have a lot to atone
    >for - and here is another one going into an aboriginal community with the likes of
    >you backing him/her. Do you not know what was done to these people in christian
    >residential schools? Shame!

I probably know more about it than you'll ever be able to imagine. That, however, is
neither here nor there. It hasn't got a thing to do with this situation.

>I asked if that person had a letter of invitation or welcome from the North - and
    >that question was not answered. She/he is going up there

No doubt *you* don't have any such letter, and never did. So perhaps it would be
best if you followed your own advice and butted out.

Regardless it does appear that a job offer from Frontier Foundation would in effect
be precisely the letter you demand that she have.

>because the locals are "disadvantaged" in the view of some Toronto lawyers.
    >Disgusting.

That didn't exactly look like a list of "Toronto lawyers" to me. I happen to think
that Native lawyers are where the future of Native people is at. I'm well acquainted
with a number of Alaska Natives who have law degrees, including the first two Yupik
Eskimo's to graduate from law schools. Having three or four of them on the board,
plus a number of other Native leaders, not to mention a goals statement which has the
right emphasis, is very convincing, which you are not.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.ptialas-
ka.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) [email protected]

Old Aug 16th 2002, 10:05 pm
Bravenewwhirl

> That didn't exactly look like a list of "Toronto lawyers" to me. I happen to think
    > that Native lawyers are where the future of Native people is at. I'm well
    > acquainted with a number of Alaska Natives who have law degrees, including the
    > first two Yupik Eskimo's to graduate from law schools. Having three or four of
    > them on the board, plus a number of other Native leaders, not to mention a goals
    > statement which has the right emphasis, is very convincing, which you are not.

For a yank who is familiar only with yankee situations you certainly like to push
your weight around. But hey...you guys are really good at that anyway. Now you butt
out - this is not your issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.