Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working hours legalities in the US???

Working hours legalities in the US???

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:01 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Working hours legalities in the US???

Hey there

Im wondering, does anyone know what the law states in the USA, regarding breaks in between shifts of work?

Im wondering if the USA has anything comparable to the working time directive in the UK? (I think thats what it was called) I believe that stated you had to have 8hrs between shifts from one day to the next?

I ask, as Im being told to work 6.15pm - 12.30am, and then turn up at 7.00am the next morning for 3 hours for a cash check, and then have a double the same day - being 10.15am - 5pm, and then 6.25pm - 12.30am?

Much Appreciated
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:12 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Well if there are any rules I haven't seen any evidence of that. I've been working 60-70 hour weeks, 12 hours a day for 5 or 6 days in a row. I never take a break, although they don't pay me for half an hour a day. They even expect me to go to meetings in the morning after a night shift. I went to a meeting thinking it would be a quick half hour like in England. Oh no...I was there 2 and a half hours later, falling asleep. I still had to rush home, get a few hours sleep and then come back in again for another 12 hour shift. They even tried to get me to do a 4 hour course on a day between 2 night shifts. When am I supposed to sleep?

Our pharmacy techs finish at midnight, and as I leave work at 7am, they are coming back in again. This isn't England that's for sure.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:47 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working hours legalities in the US???

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hey there

Im wondering, does anyone know what the law states in the USA, regarding breaks in between shifts of work?

Im wondering if the USA has anything comparable to the working time directive in the UK? (I think thats what it was called) I believe that stated you had to have 8hrs between shifts from one day to the next?

I ask, as Im being told to work 6.15pm - 12.30am, and then turn up at 7.00am the next morning for 3 hours for a cash check, and then have a double the same day - being 10.15am - 5pm, and then 6.25pm - 12.30am?

Much Appreciated
Check out the FL Labor Bureau or similar agency- in the US there are rules on what you bring up- but they are usually covered under state law.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:29 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there

Much Appreciated
You need to join the union.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 12:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there

Much Appreciated
Here the Department of Labor link, but it looks as though you are out of luck. No Federal protection and, if you check your state's link there, no state protection either. Let's just say this is not a labour oriented country.

http://www.dol.gov/dolfaq/dolfaqBYsu...%26+Work+Hours
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 1:06 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ScousePete
Mentioning the "U" word in the south is a good way to get fired if there isn't already a presence......
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 2:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RoB1833
Mentioning the "U" word in the south is a good way to get fired if there isn't already a presence......
Anyone remember this song on the charts in the 70s? (showing my age).

I'm a union man
And proud of what I am
I say what I think
That the company stinks
Yes, I'm a union man.

(chorus)

You don't get me I'm part of the union,
You don't get me I'm part of the union,
You don't get me I'm part of the union.
'Til the day I die, 'til the day I die.

Etc. etc.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 2:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I remember that song.

It was by a band called "The Scaffold" (whom I think were Northerners).

I think they also sang "Lily the Pink".
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ScousePete
Aint no unions here in AZ. It is a right to work State. I guess if people don't want to put in the long hours, then they should be a bit more picky about what jobs they take. It is not worth getting a green card if you are going to kill yourself in the process.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:56 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum
Yes, I remember that song.

It was by a band called "The Scaffold" (whom I think were Northerners).

I think they also sang "Lily the Pink".
Hadn't though about that one in a while. Municipal compound, most efficacious in every case. I think my father told me that this song was around during WWII.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I always used to think it was 'Medicinal Compound!'
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:03 pm

Originally posted by Squirrel
I always used to think it was 'Medicinal Compound!'
Oops, I think you're right. It was a long time and a lot of compound ago.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there

Much Appreciated
I live in KY, which is also a right to work state I think (not 100% sure). The company I currently work for has strict rules from OSHA which we have to follow, as I believe every company has to.

OSHA states, if I remember correctly, that for every 4 hrs worked, an employee gets at minimum a 10 minute break, for every 5 hrs worked, an employee gets a 30 minute lunch break. If working 8 hrs they are due another 10 minute break during the day.

But I know that healthcare, as I think you're a nurse, right, Rockgurl, is vastly overworked, and I'll safely bet that hospitals don't regulate how many hours nurses work, and if they really take their breaks and lunches.

When I did work in a union, they did have a rule that at minimum there had to be 8 hrs between shifts. So if ya got off at 12am, you technically are not supposed to come in before 8am. So glad I don't do union work anymore..couldn't stand it..
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I know when I had an interview last week. They told me that I was entitled to a 10 minute break every 6 hours.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
I live in KY, which is also a right to work state I think (not 100% sure). The company I currently work for has strict rules from OSHA which we have to follow, as I believe every company has to.

OSHA states, if I remember correctly, that for every 4 hrs worked, an employee gets at minimum a 10 minute break, for every 5 hrs worked, an employee gets a 30 minute lunch break. If working 8 hrs they are due another 10 minute break during the day.

But I know that healthcare, as I think you're a nurse, right, Rockgurl, is vastly overworked, and I'll safely bet that hospitals don't regulate how many hours nurses work, and if they really take their breaks and lunches.

When I did work in a union, they did have a rule that at minimum there had to be 8 hrs between shifts. So if ya got off at 12am, you technically are not supposed to come in before 8am. So glad I don't do union work anymore..couldn't stand it..
OSHA in this country is a joke. They should practice what they preach. I have a friend in San Jose who works for Pratt and Whitney, they work with a lot of explosives etc. Their safety record was so good that OSHA did not vett them for over 7 years. Unfortunately at the end of last year they had a couple of explosions, one of which resulted in the death of a Contract employee who had only worked there for 2 weeks. OSHA came down hard on them and shut the place down so they could do an investigation. The result now is that the plant lost some major contracts and has closed and many people are out of work, all because OSHA did not take the responsibility to moniter them on a yearly basis as is the rule.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.