Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working as a director or producer in USA

Working as a director or producer in USA

Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road
Default Working as a director or producer in USA

Anyone from the UK, worked in USA as a producer/Director on their own film and have experience of the visas required?
john
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Glen Ellyn Service Crew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Working as a director or producer in USA

Originally Posted by jhorsfield30 View Post
Anyone from the UK, worked in USA as a producer/Director on their own film and have experience of the visas required?
john
Me and the old lady made a few movies, never bothered with the visa to be honest, just set up the camcorder and let it roll!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Have you done any work on American productions? As a freelance producer/director?
john
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think he was joking.

With the exception of documentary films (which are covered by the journalist-like visas) I think all other filmmakers have to find some sort of visa. If there is a company overseas then they probably partner up with some production company in the US that handles some of the temporary visa paperwork. It's quite complicated. I've seen a few websites (in NY and LA) of consultants who specialized just in getting those sorts of visas for production companies.

I think your chances of just coming over on your own without any corporate support are basically nil.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

good to know,do you know if a consultancy LTD can operate in USA, without a visa, as long as billed to the UK for a contract?
john
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:07 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

it's not companies that get visas, it's people. is your question can you come to the US and work without work authorization, so long as you're paid offshore?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

I have often heard stories of LTD company consultants operating in Americ and was curious if they are able to do this without a visa, as long as payment is off-shore?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:29 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I know number of UK "director" film students studying at Film Schools in the USA. Not sure after they graduate, what they will do?

It's an interesting question, one worth throwing at a lawyer since it would be an easy "scam" for anyone with a camera so I guess they have a validation process.

You also need permits to film in LA for everything...
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I have often heard stories of LTD company consultants operating in Americ and was curious if they are able to do this without a visa, as long as payment is off-shore?

It is where you work, not where you invoice, nor where you bill, nor where you are based. You need a visa. Scratch the surface of some of the people who have told those stories and I think you might find they're skirting a few rules...

I mean look at it the other way. What if everyone in the world decided to come to America and work, but didn't pay taxes or get visas because 'payment was off-shore'. Could you imagine if everyone from China was allowed to live in and work in the UK so long as their payment and invoicing was done back in China?

Nope.

Last edited by penguinsix; Sep 26th 2007 at 2:53 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:52 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glen Ellyn Service Crew View Post
Me and the old lady made a few movies, never bothered with the visa to be honest, just set up the camcorder and let it roll!
We can only guess where the location of your shoot was!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s View Post
I know number of UK "director" film students studying at Film Schools in the USA. Not sure after they graduate, what they will do?

It's an interesting question, one worth throwing at a lawyer since it would be an easy "scam" for anyone with a camera so I guess they have a validation process.

You also need permits to film in LA for everything...
After they graduate they can get on board a work training scheme for a year, but after that they are on their own.

The issue of journalist visas is one that is coming up more and more frequently for bloggers. If your core business is blogging, and you come to the US on a VWP, then technically, you are not allowed to blog while in the US. This has also been an issue for freelancer writers who have come in on VWP and then decided to write an article or two for money. They need a journalist visa (I visa).
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you're grasping at straws mate.

even if you're paid offshore, you'll need a social security number, to pay taxes blah blah blah.

it's not happening........

either find a Bird over here or look elsewhere.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

cheers,
time for a rich woman then