Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working in Colorado

Working in Colorado

Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:06 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on Colorado

Originally Posted by Mrs-Ash
Hi,
My husband and I are considering moving to Colorado. We have never been to Colorado but are planning to visit in and around May this year. We have done a bit of research but are unsure where to visit while we are there. We don't have any degree's or anything we have basic qualifacations. We live in Northern Ireland and I am currently working in pharmacy sector and my husband has his own business cleaning windows, garden maintainence, etc.
Any information about work, housing (we would be hoping to rent for the first while), areas to live in would be great.

Many thanks Ashleigh
If you want big city, then the Denver - Fort Collins - Boulder - Colorado Springs corridor is your only choice. Colorado Springs probably has more religious nutters, if that bothers you. Many people complain about the sprawl in Denver, and the skiers complain that it takes too long to get out along I-70. But I have no first-hand experience of that.

Other than that, you have: filthy rich places (e.g., Aspen), usually populated by a significant quantity of assholes. And then you can choose from being in the middle of nowhere on the plains (anywhere east of Denver), or being in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. Also, if you want to be near Utah and all its wonders, without actually living there, Grand Junction might be worth looking at. There are many beautiful and wonderful towns scattered through the mountains, such as Crested Butte, Durango, Telluride, but they can be on the slightly cheap side of very expensive. Some of them, even the locals leave during winter (e.g., Silverton).

If you are thinking Colorado solely for mountains, then you may also wish to consider Montana, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and California.

So.... what are you really looking for?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:33 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Colorado

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I was wondering what was going on... for a minute there I thought the real Leslie had been kidnapped and replaced by amazingly helpful duplicate.
I'm always poised at the ready just in case somebody asks something that I actually know the answer to. My hands literally hover over my keyboard quivering in anticipation.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:48 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
If you want big city, then the Denver - Fort Collins - Boulder - Colorado Springs corridor is your only choice. Colorado Springs probably has more religious nutters, if that bothers you. Many people complain about the sprawl in Denver, and the skiers complain that it takes too long to get out along I-70. But I have no first-hand experience of that.

Other than that, you have: filthy rich places (e.g., Aspen), usually populated by a significant quantity of assholes. And then you can choose from being in the middle of nowhere on the plains (anywhere east of Denver), or being in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. Also, if you want to be near Utah and all its wonders, without actually living there, Grand Junction might be worth looking at. There are many beautiful and wonderful towns scattered through the mountains, such as Crested Butte, Durango, Telluride, but they can be on the slightly cheap side of very expensive. Some of them, even the locals leave during winter (e.g., Silverton).

If you are thinking Colorado solely for mountains, then you may also wish to consider Montana, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and California.

So.... what are you really looking for?
Hopefully a job and that will determine where the couple lives.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:05 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs-Ash
Do you know if t would be possible to work in pharmacy at all
Rite Aid always needs cashiers.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:35 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Hopefully a job and that will determine where the couple lives.
Yeah, but their other posts don't make it sound like they're too tied down right now.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lanscaping etc you normally have to speak Spanish. Not so sure about window cleaning. Not sure why, just have not come across many.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

The climate and growing conditions here in Colorado are very different than N Ireland. If your hubby is mowing lawns he should be able to find plenty of that to do. If he is into more involved landscaping, he should try and get info on conditions here. I think it is called high desert and a lot of lawns have irrigation systems to water them. Sorry, I don't know anything about pharmacy courses here. Good luck.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Scratch this - i just reread the OP and realised that you are looking for a position as a pharmacy tech. My response related to registerd pharmacists re-registration.

To work here you would generally need to obtain your tech qualification at a community college and some intern hours. Its not as in-depth as a UK Pharmacy tech course.

Some places may accept you on the basis of your UK qualifications anyway. My wife was accepted for a position as a hospital pharmacy tech without US tech qualification on the basis of her pharmacists qualification in the UK for example. She was a Pharmacist in the NHS before moving here. She has now requalified as a pharmacist in the US - but that's another story

There was an article in the PJ about 2 years ago about Pharmacy in the US - might be worth checking that out.

Tech pay is about $12-15, (possibly up to $18 with experience here) per hour

The work is generally more mundane than tech work in the UK, but can be enjoyable nevertheless.

Feel free to send me a PM is you need any additional information.

Last edited by cpe111; Apr 1st 2009 at 12:42 am. Reason: Different response needed
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111
My wife is a registered pharmacist in the UK and requalified here. She is now working as a pharmacist in a local hospital in Longmont, CO.
oh my, how tailor made were YOU for this thread?! Any chance your wife also shares a birthday with the OP, maybe sisters separated at birth?
Amazing, the ole internet.

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I was wondering what was going on... for a minute there I thought the real Leslie had been kidnapped and replaced by amazingly helpful duplicate.
I didn't like to say, but I wondered myself!
I forgot how helpful Miss L can be when she wants to.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:48 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lanscaping etc you normally have to speak Spanish..
this might help with being bilingual...

“Cheese”
The teacher told Pepito to use the word "cheese" in a sentence. Pepito replied "Maria likes me, but cheese fat."

“Mushroom”
When all my family get in the car, there's not mushroom.

“Shoulder”
My fren wanted 2 become a citizen but she didn't know how to read so I shoulder.

“ Texas “
My fren always Texas me when I'm not home wondering where I'm at!

“Herpes”
Me and my fren ordered pizza. I got mine piece and she got herpes.

“July”
Ju told me ju were going to tha store, but you di no go... July to me! Julyer!

Julyer!! Julyer!!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lanscaping etc you normally have to speak Spanish
That must be why my plants didn't grow in CO huh? I didn't speak their language!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:24 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

I didn't like to say, but I wondered myself!
I forgot how helpful Miss L can be when she wants to.
Shush - sh - sh ...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishtart
That must be why my plants didn't grow in CO huh? I didn't speak their language!
I think plants are bi-lingual, hardscape not so much.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

misssunflowerblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I live in Superior. Which is just right outside of Denver. I love it here. My husband moved here nearly 3 years ago from England and fell in love instantly. It is a very lovely place, not a lot of crime and very liberal. Like one post said above me you can try Colorado Springs, but it has all that focus on the family non sense and its way too religious for me! I would stay in the Boulder County area although it can be quite expensive. As for working, I don't have any idea on that. Someone should point out www.craigslist.com as a good reference point for searching for jobs, and homes....