British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Working in Colorado (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/working-colorado-599891/)

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 8:00 pm

Working in Colorado

Hi,
I was just wondering if any one could give me some advice or information. I currently live in Northern Ireland and I am considering moving out to Colorado with my husband who is an American citizen. I am currently working in pharmacy and have been for nearly 4 years now. I am doing my NVQ level 3 in pharmacy which will qualify me as a Pharmacy Technician. Does any one know if I would have to undergo any more tests if I was to move to Colorado? I would be wanting to work in a hospital pharmacy. Any information or advice would be great.
Many thanks Ashleigh

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 9:00 pm

Info on Colorado

Hi,
My husband and I are considering moving to Colorado. We have never been to Colorado but are planning to visit in and around May this year. We have done a bit of research but are unsure where to visit while we are there. We don't have any degree's or anything we have basic qualifacations. We live in Northern Ireland and I am currently working in pharmacy sector and my husband has his own business cleaning windows, garden maintainence, etc.
Any information about work, housing (we would be hoping to rent for the first while), areas to live in would be great.

Many thanks Ashleigh

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 25th 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Working in Colorado

Originally Posted by Mrs-Ash (Post 7419052)
Hi,
I was just wondering if any one could give me some advice or information. I currently live in Northern Ireland and I am considering moving out to Colorado with my husband who is an American citizen. I am currently working in pharmacy and have been for nearly 4 years now. I am doing my NVQ level 3 in pharmacy which will qualify me as a Pharmacy Technician. Does any one know if I would have to undergo any more tests if I was to move to Colorado? I would be wanting to work in a hospital pharmacy. Any information or advice would be great.
Many thanks Ashleigh

First things first. Are either of you United Sates Citizens, or did you win the Green Card Lottery?

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 9:05 pm

My husband is a US citizen

Manc Mar 25th 2009 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 7419296)
First things first. Are either of you United Sates Citizens, or did you win the Green Card Lottery?

did you not read the post?

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 9:08 pm

What post? I am new to this forum

Leyther Mar 25th 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Info on Colorado

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7419312)
I hate to say it but I don't think you need to be worrying about what it's like to live in Colorado - from what you've said, there is no hope of you getting a visa. Unless you have neglected to mention that one of you is a US citizen?

Have a read of this and see if you'd qualify for any visa, that needs to be your first concern.........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

If not, then worrying about areas to live is a bit pointless!

Good luck. :)

From the OP's other post, the husband is a USC.

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 9:11 pm

Yea sorry forgot to mention that my husband is a US citizen

christmasoompa Mar 25th 2009 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Leyther (Post 7419316)
From the OP's other post, the husband is a USC.

I'd already deleted it before you posted that.........;)

keira-2007 Mar 25th 2009 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs-Ash (Post 7419309)

Don't worry. Manc was talking to the other poster, not you. :)

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Can't be much help with regards to Colorado m'afraid, I live near Chicago but all I've heard, being married to a USC should make life a lot easier for your transfer over here. Good luck. :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 25th 2009 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs-Ash (Post 7419309)

Missed that.

Denver Post for Hospital Positions, usually there are pages of them, bugger all else.

I am sure you would have to re train. I know a CO Pharmacist but will not see him for a couple of weeks.

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks. Hopefully someone has the help and info I need. Many thanks for your wishes of good luck

Leslie Mar 25th 2009 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs-Ash (Post 7419052)
Hi,
Many thanks Ashleigh

To work in a hospital you will have to get a pharmacy tech certification here in the states. It's not that strenuous of a certification and will probably be a breeze for you with your experience. Most junior colleges and technical schools will offer this program and (depending on the policy of the school) perhaps you could get some of your credits transferred from NI. I would start by talking to the school you attended in NI and have them start walking you through the process of getting your transcripts transferred. Ultimately, you will have to finish the process through your chosen school in Colorado but you need to start somewhere.

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 9:21 pm

Is there a web site I can visit to see those jobs that are available in Denver. Thanks for your help. Any infomation, advice or help you can give me is very much appreciated

Mrs-Ash Mar 25th 2009 9:29 pm

I am actually doing my course through work but it is approved by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. I am due to complete my course before moving. Would I then just have to apply to one of these colleges to do the program? Do you know how long it takes to get the certificate? Have you any idea of the rate of pay a Pharmacy Technician would recieve?:)