Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Workers' rights?

Workers' rights?

Old Apr 13th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Workers' rights?

My daughter has worked for a company for 2 years. As she is pregnant she arranged with the owner that she would work part time (20 hours a week) after the baby is born. Well she's had complications in her pregnancy and had to stay off work 2 weeks, the doctor won't allow her to go back to work till this Thursday. She called in at the office yesterday and they have cleared her office out- her stuff was in a box- hired an accountant in to do her job permanently and told her that she can help out in the main office PART TIME when she comes back Thursday! Can they do this??? They didn't even inform her.
Are there any laws which protect her job- does anyone know? it's a mid size company but privately owned.

Last edited by Taffyles; Apr 13th 2004 at 9:51 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 9:55 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Workers' rights?

Originally posted by Taffyles
My daughter has worked for a company for 2 years. As she is pregnant she arranged with the owner that she would work part time (20 hours a week) after the baby is born. Well she's had complications in her pregnancy and had to stay off work 2 weeks, the doctor won't allow her to go back to work till this Thursday. She called in at the office yesterday and they have cleared her office out- her stuff was in a box- hired an accountant in to do her job permanently and told her that she can help out in the main office PART TIME when she comes back Thursday! Can they do this??? They didn't even inform her.
Are there any laws which protect her job- does anyone know? it's a mid size company but privately owned.
She's definitely protected, even over here, as she is pregnant. Tell her to look into FMLA leave, she's worked there long enough to qualify and she should have been offered it. If her time off is classed as FMLA leave then her job is protected.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:14 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RoB1833
She's definitely protected, even over here, as she is pregnant. Tell her to look into FMLA leave, she's worked there long enough to qualify and she should have been offered it. If her time off is classed as FMLA leave then her job is protected.
FMLA does not apply to many companies, most particularly those with less than 50 employees (I believe it is 50... perhaps 40?).
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

When I had my daughter I was allowed 6 weeks off (unpaid) and they would keep me a job open, they said it may not be the same job but a equivelent one in the same area.
I was lucky I actually got my same job back but they said if I took longer there may not be a job at all.
Thats the trouble with non union jobs I guess.
I hope your daughter is able to sort things out.
Suzie
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

It's 50.... and the company is bigger than that but it seems a moot point anyway. My husband had a quick word with his company lawyer this evening, and, apparently, as Florida is a 'right to work' State- the company my daughter works for is within their rights. What they can't do is fire her for having time off sick, but all they are legally required to do is keep A job for her, any job, not necessarily the job she was doing. He's checking into whether they are allowed to reduce her hours or not, but he's pretty sure they can reduce her wage..bloody marvellous eh!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:03 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It's 50.... and the company is bigger than that but it seems a moot point anyway. My husband had a quick word with his company lawyer this evening, and, apparently, as Florida is a 'right to work' State- the company my daughter works for is within their rights. What they can't do is fire her for having time off sick, but all they are legally required to do is keep A job for her, any job, not necessarily the job she was doing. He's checking into whether they are allowed to reduce her hours or not, but he's pretty sure they can reduce her wage..bloody marvellous eh!
Shouldn't someone have a word with Dubya about those "family values" he's so fond of?
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:32 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Shouldn't someone have a word with Dubya about those "family values" he's so fond of?
But wouldn't those "family values" have her barefoot in the kitchen to be a proper mother to her family? It's another euphemism for "back to the dark ages" when politicians use it, isn't it?

Hope she gets it sorted, Taffyles, that sucks.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:39 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster
But wouldn't those "family values" have her barefoot in the kitchen to be a proper mother to her family? It's another euphemism for "back to the dark ages" when politicians use it, isn't it?
I'm sure you're right - the politicians and the bible bashers.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by monster

Hope she gets it sorted, Taffyles, that sucks.

Yes all women should be induced to give birth early in the day so they can be home in time to make their husband's tea.

Jovially Yours ( with tongue FIRMLY in cheek )