British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Work visas & job offers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/work-visas-job-offers-747865/)

Eve_85 Feb 8th 2012 6:06 pm

Work visas & job offers

Hello,

OK so Im a British Citizen and like so many I've reached the age now where I'd like to start a new life elsewhere and for me personally that place is California. I've given myself a target of going to California to live and work by 2014 so I want to start doing my research now in terms of what is involved with such a big decision, but its definatley what I want to do.

I have a university degree based in Business & IT (inc. 1 years work experience), and I currently work in the Online Digital field. I'd like to move on to another job in the UK after this, I've been fortunate enough to have been promoted twice at my current job (been here for 4 years) but within the next 6 months I aim to start looking for a new job to gain additional experience in my field before looking for jobs in California.

My question is....IF Im forunate enough to recieve a job offer from an employer in California are they the ones who would assist in helping with the the work visa on my behalf or would that be myself who has to do that. Also, typically how long would it take for a work visa to be sorted out, as I'm not sure how confident an employer would be hiring someone who hasnt really got any Visa approvals yet.

And lastly, if the job was permenant would that mean my work visa was valid ONLY while I was in employment? After that I'd really love to have a permenant visa.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance!

Many thanks,
Eve

Jerseygirl Feb 8th 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Work visas & job offers

Welcome to BE Eve.

You may find the easiest route is to work for a company who has offices in the US...then apply for a transfer. Take a read through this...if you fit into any of the categories then you may have a chance of moving Stateside.

Good luck.

BritishGuy36 Feb 8th 2012 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Eve_85 (Post 9891292)
its definatley what I want to do.

What you want to do is of no consequence to the US immigration authorities, nor any prospective employer.

Ask yourself this question.

When thousands of persons in your industry are out of work in California already, and who are work-authorized to start tomorrow, and who are desperate for work so they will work for less money, why would a prospective employer wait the best part of a year and pay thousands of dollars to sponsor you for a visa?

If you have a good answer to that question, it's a starting point.

SanDiegogirl Feb 8th 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Eve_85 (Post 9891292)
Hello,

OK so Im a British Citizen and like so many I've reached the age now where I'd like to start a new life elsewhere and for me personally that place is California. I've given myself a target of going to California to live and work by 2014 so I want to start doing my research now in terms of what is involved with such a big decision, but its definatley what I want to do.

I have a university degree based in Business & IT (inc. 1 years work experience), and I currently work in the Online Digital field. I'd like to move on to another job in the UK after this, I've been fortunate enough to have been promoted twice at my current job (been here for 4 years) but within the next 6 months I aim to start looking for a new job to gain additional experience in my field before looking for jobs in California.

My question is....IF Im forunate enough to recieve a job offer from an employer in California are they the ones who would assist in helping with the the work visa on my behalf or would that be myself who has to do that. Also, typically how long would it take for a work visa to be sorted out, as I'm not sure how confident an employer would be hiring someone who hasnt really got any Visa approvals yet.

And lastly, if the job was permenant would that mean my work visa was valid ONLY while I was in employment? After that I'd really love to have a permenant visa.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance!

Many thanks,
Eve

To move to the States on a work visa you:

- Need a sponsoring, prospective employer
- The employer must be willing to apply for the work visa on your behalf.
This entails time and money for the employer
- The job must be eligible for visa application
- Visa applications can be a short as 4 months or as long as a year.

The majority of work visas are provided to highly skilled, technical,managerial/executive level posts

So you have your work cut out currently.

Bob Feb 8th 2012 7:18 pm

How long you stay, how easy to change jobs etc all depend on the visa.

Company transfer and then no, you can't change jobs, but that would be the best way to get to the US if you're with a company that has a US presence and have niche company knowledge.

Though you're really got to ask yourself why a company would go to the cost and hassle of importing someone, which will take a lot of time to get them work authorised when they can hire someone off the streets already?

If you can honestly answer that, with a straight face, you realistically can work yourself towards making it more likely to happen.

Good luck!

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 8th 2012 7:26 pm

I would go for a job in the UK who would move you to the US.