Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Work Situation in the USA

Work Situation in the USA

Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Situation in the USA

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I have been slowly coming to the conclusion that living in the boonies may be part of the problem...
Thats my problem too But who wants to live in the thick of all the empty homes and crime.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:06 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well! There's no sneaking up on YOU, bubba!
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Finally. He got themoment
You ladies are right, of course....

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats my problem too But who wants to live in the thick of all the empty homes and crime.
But this lady makes a very good point too.

It's tricky. The solution is probably an affluent area near, but not in, a big city, but that requires mucho dineros...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

You ladies are right, of course....

But this lady makes a very good point too.

It's tricky. The solution is probably an affluent area near, but not in, a big city, but that requires mucho dineros...

I live about 35 miles south of Houston. Very very small country town, not expensive to live and still close enough to have jobs and (shoot guns)
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good editorial in the LA Times argued the case a few years back. I still remember it, it was that good.

No it's not. It's fucked.
California state government is yes, however the state economy is still larger then most countries which is what I said.

Despite the current conditions of the state government, the economy is still larger then most of the worlds countries, still the largest state economy in the US.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 16th 2010 at 12:47 am.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
California state government is yes, however the state economy is still larger then most countries which is what I said.

Despite the current conditions of the state government, the economy is still larger then most of the worlds countries.
Yet they keep getting elected...

Anyhoo, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you've got to be somebody's cousin to get a job round here. That's not good, as SWMBO refuses to move to any other part of TX, on the grounds that the only reason she's live in the state is to be near her folks.

Which pretty much means I've got to figure out a way of selling the house (in which process I'll probably get fscked in the ass by the local realtors so one of their kin can get a bargain) in order to move to one of the coasts, where there's a realistic prospect of employment.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you've got to be somebody's cousin to get a job round here.
Yeah same here....it's irritating to the point of madness.

There are fools in $50k IT jobs around here who don't know their arse from their elbow.....cos they know someone else at the company.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yet they keep getting elected... :confused
Politicians come and go, and deficits and poor state government come and go.

Can't expect not to have a deficit in a recession when the voting public cries foul when services are cut to balance a budget.

Tax revenue drops not much the state can do, they cannot print money.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:24 am

Rubbish. Individual politicians may come and go, but the politician class, the bureaucrats and poor state government came and stayed.

Can't expect not to have a deficit in a recession when the voting public cries foul when services are cut to balance a budget.
More rubbish. The public cry foul because the axe always falls on cops and firemen, not PR bastards and "diversity coordinators".

And yet they do. Both nationally and in CA (with your IOUs).
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

When you have an initiative process that requires a simple majority to mandate new spending but a two-thirds supermajority to raise taxes, it's pretty much inevitable you end up in a financial mire. As for politicians getting re-elected, the two main parties have connived in gross gerrymandering to ensure that elections in most districts are not competitive.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
When you have an initiative process that requires a simple majority to mandate new spending but a two-thirds supermajority to raise taxes, it's pretty much inevitable you end up in a financial mire.
I was not aware of that. It explains a lot - the old voting largesse from the public purse thing.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
As for politicians getting re-elected, the two main parties have connived in gross gerrymandering to ensure that elections in most districts are not competitive.
That, I had heard. It's something that's far too common in many places, not just CA.