Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Work for my partner

Work for my partner

Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Pato is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work for my partner

God I love California! I wanna stay here foreveeeeeeeeeeer!!

I am intending on applying for an H1-B visa for temporary employment. My girlfriend (currently working in Tanzania!) wants to come and live her when she finishes in September 2004. The plan is for her to obtain a tourist VISA for the first three months (Sep-Dec 2004), then we will marry at christmas time. Given that, as my spouse, she would be eligible for an H4 visa which would not allow her to work, is the only option for her to apply for her own H1B to obtain a work permit? In this case I assume she would require a job offer before making her application. Could she secure a job offer during the Sep-Dec period as a tourist and then use that to apply for her H1B after we are married in January?

Sorry if this sounds like a mad-panic but given we will have been a year apart already I want her to get a job as quickly as possible when she moves over here.

Thanks so much in advance for any help and advice
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just how long have you been in California? On what kind of visa? The path you seem to be choosing is neither easy, nor quick. If your girlfriend recieves a job offer, the employer would have to sponsor her. This is not as easy as it sounds, I'm sure others can explain further than I can.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work for my partner

Originally posted by Pato
God I love California! I wanna stay here foreveeeeeeeeeeer!!

<<snip>>

Thanks so much in advance for any help and advice
Have a look at the H1-B type posts on the US Immigration and US Visas forums on British Expats. I'm sure you'll find a plethora of information there.

NC Penguin