British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Work Hours (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/work-hours-387318/)

Bob Jul 29th 2006 4:30 am

Work Hours

Just curious what people's hours are like for work.

Where I'm at, core hours where you have to be working are between 10-4, unless you telecommute, of which there's a few, who only come in once or twice a week.

But general hours seem to be 9-6pm, though there are quite a lot that work a lot later than that...but it's hard to really tell because people take lunch whenever, which tends to be around an hour or so.

Doesn't help that I started around about when deadlines are due for most, but i've been putting in some serious hours just to get my head around the way they do things and loving it, don't notice how long i end up staying...helps that I live only about 5 mins away from work without traffic, and with, about 10-15 mins.

Do notice that people knock off pretty early on a Friday though...and apart from a bunch that live in the same town, there don't seem many that'll go out for drinks after work...though most have a bit of a drive....but, there was a bunch that went for a curry for lunch yesterday, that was a laugh :)

snowbunny Jul 29th 2006 4:41 am

Re: Work Hours

The stereotypical American work hours are 9 am to 5 pm. However, that doesn't include lunch, which most people are expected to take and take unpaid. That inserts a half-hour to hour in the middle, and since it seems that people prefer to get up earlier rather than get home later, translates into 8 am to 5 pm.

HOWEVER:

* if you are a parent, your hours may be shifted forwards or backwards a bit depending on what time school starts and ends and what time daycare or after-school care ends.

* if there's heavy traffic, some people shift their hours -- usually backwards, eg working 6 am to 3 pm to avoid traffic. Americans prize the early bird; coming in at 10 pm and leaving at 7 pm is less impressive.

* you work in high tech, and most people are on salary. Even if not, you're expected to work long unpaid hours if there are project deadlines. The positive side of this is that generally no one cares *which* hours you work so long as you work a lot of them. There's tolerance for say, knocking off to see the first Friday afternoon showing of the latest sci-fi flick, so long as you return to work and work a bit late.

All the above is of course my opinion based on my experiences and those of my coworkers and friends.

evoal2003 Jul 29th 2006 4:53 am

Ain't it a bitch having something to do most days. :)

Pimpbot Jul 29th 2006 5:21 am

8am to 5pm monday to friday with an hour lunch that I pretty much take when I please, although I usually try to push it until after 1 pm so I have a nice short afternoon. I think I've stayed later than 5.00 pm once or twice.

evoal2003 Jul 29th 2006 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
8am to 5pm monday to friday with an hour lunch that I pretty much take when I please, although I usually try to push it until after 1 pm so I have a nice short afternoon. I think I've stayed later than 5.00 pm once or twice.

Thats how the other half live...... :)

USBound Jul 29th 2006 5:16 pm

Our core hours are 9-6 with extra hours on burn days (we make computer games). We are all salaried so at the mercy of the boss when it comes to working extra "fort he game".

we also have a "hardcore" week which tends be one week in 5 and is 4 12 hour days.

we get free lunch from a selection of 4 menu's (which is nice).

Tbag Jul 29th 2006 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Just curious what people's hours are like for work.

Where I'm at, core hours where you have to be working are between 10-4, unless you telecommute, of which there's a few, who only come in once or twice a week.

But general hours seem to be 9-6pm, though there are quite a lot that work a lot later than that...but it's hard to really tell because people take lunch whenever, which tends to be around an hour or so.

Doesn't help that I started around about when deadlines are due for most, but i've been putting in some serious hours just to get my head around the way they do things and loving it, don't notice how long i end up staying...helps that I live only about 5 mins away from work without traffic, and with, about 10-15 mins.

Do notice that people knock off pretty early on a Friday though...and apart from a bunch that live in the same town, there don't seem many that'll go out for drinks after work...though most have a bit of a drive....but, there was a bunch that went for a curry for lunch yesterday, that was a laugh :)

6:30am until somewhere between 4 & 5pm. I have to maintain 40 hours with my contract and if I do all 40 within 4 days, I can take Fridays off. I usually end up in overtime though and work a Friday too :( But I work in a college so I have school hols off and 3 weeks at Christmas so it all evens out very nicely :)

dbj1000 Jul 29th 2006 7:41 pm

We are required to work 80 hours minimum in each 2-week pay period. The thing is, you can't actually do the required work in only 40hrs per week. I average around 46hrs/wk, and often will work 60hrs+ when things are hectic. We don't have paid overtime for our exempt employees, but we do work nominally flexible hours, get "unlimited personal time" (which nobody dares take) and unlimited sick leave.

...and we're "relaxed" about work hours compared to most companies in our industry.

Having said that, our vacation allowance is good, benefits are some of the best in the industry, and our salaries reflect the long hours we're expected to put in.

rincewind Jul 29th 2006 8:16 pm

8:30 - 5pm.

But I get there at 7:30 to check my e-mails and grab a smoke with a coffee to start my day.

I'm on salary so I can pretty much come and go as I please as long as my work is done.

Bob Jul 30th 2006 1:14 am

Originally Posted by rincewind

But I get there at 7:30 to check my e-mails and grab a smoke with a coffee to start my day.

weird thing about that, smoking, there's only one bloke in the office that smokes, there was a second, but he gave up a few months back....*l*

Sarah Jul 30th 2006 1:20 am

I'm not salaried, although I wish I was however, i am in the unusual position of working in a little satellite office of a huge multi-national corp. This means my boss works out of corp offices 3 hours away in Pittsburgh. Therefore I have no boss checking what time I'm in in the morning and when I leave.
I generally am in the office for about 30-35 hours a week. I'm paid to come in at 8am but I'm not usually in before 9am.
And no, I don't care about screwing them over for my time or for the pencils I take either.

Chorlton Jul 30th 2006 1:30 am

8-4:30 for me - I take 30mins for lunch and spend most of that walking. The guys in my office go out for lunch almost every day (usually to some "buffet", but occasionally to a nice mexican place, so I'll join them). I don't have to work overtime, but I chose to work quite a bit, since my job is pretty relaxed. At the last place I worked, one of the reasons I quit was becasue they expected overtime and I dug my heels in on that. I've done more overtime in a week at my current place than in a year at the last one.

rincewind Jul 30th 2006 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Bob
weird thing about that, smoking, there's only one bloke in the office that smokes, there was a second, but he gave up a few months back....*l*

Thankfully, my boss smokes along with most of us in the IT department. Gives me a chance to get my nicotine fix and kiss ass at the same time :D

Drebin Jul 30th 2006 9:56 am

Originally Posted by USBound
we also have a "hardcore" week which tends be one week in 5 and is 4 12 hour days.

*ahem* One in two right now you mean, plus burn days too. ;)

Still a billion times better than my last company in the UK!

englishnurse Jul 30th 2006 12:18 pm

what about people who work in the trades such as builders/plumbers etc, what sort of hours do they end up working???