Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Work experience and strengthening application (plus meet some expats!)

Work experience and strengthening application (plus meet some expats!)

Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Gummersarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work experience and strengthening application (plus meet some expats!)

Hi

I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice and speak to people who have actually gone through the immigration process.

I currently live in Essex, will shortly be moving to Southampton for university (I am 24 and a registered nurse, starting medical school). Both myself and my husband, who owns his own gift line business would love to move to the USA on competition of my medical degree. There are many reasons why, we have visited New York and California several times and love it, we prefer the lifestyle, culture and just feel at home in the us more so than the UK (we don't dislike the UK, it's just a preference). My husband was in the army so has lived in Afghanistan, Iraq and Canada previously, I have never lived abroad.

Basically I was hoping to hear from other medics who have moved from the UK, or those with small business, or anyone who can provide any advice really.

I understand I need to sit the USMLE exams and have made a plan for when to do this throughout my studies. I also understand that many hospitals like applicants to have some US experience, but apart from my electives I'm unsure how I can arrange this? I don't have any US contacts, and many summer program's seem to be for US citizens only.

Ideally I want to apply for a H1b visa as I understand it can be converted to a green card. I was also wondering if anyone has any experience of working in hospitals? And maybe which states are particularly expat friendly for doctors? We both love New York but know that it is extremely expensive.

I am less aware of how my husband could go about moving his business to the states, are there several different visas? I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this before.

Thanks in advance

Sarah
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work experience and strengthening application (plus meet some expats!)

You're best off studying in the US then because you'll be starting from scratch yourself really if you're going that route because you'll not realistically get a visa on nursing and no experience of being a doctor. H1B, the employer sponsors you, you don't apply for it and it costs several thousand, so that should tell you your chances with no experience.

Small business, well if you can keep that running in the UK and open another branch in the US, that opens up a company transfer, but that's not cheap, be L1 visa.

E2 would be a couple hundred grand for a new business but no direct route to a greencard or a half mill for EB5 which gets a greencard.

Suggest you have a snoop in the wiki as it explains things pretty well.

Welcome to BE and good luck!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:34 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work experience and strengthening application (plus meet some expats!)

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
.....Suggest you have a snoop in the wiki as it explains things pretty well. ....
..... specifically the "Pulaski... " and "Pulaski simplified wikis."

There does seem to be a steady flow of qualified doctors coming into the US, and the Obamacare expansion of healthcare is predicted to increase the number of doctors required, so it is not unreasonable for you to have a medium term goal (3-6 years post qualification) to eventually immigrate to the US. You have plenty of time to plan and explore your options.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
You're best off studying in the US then because you'll be starting from scratch yourself really if you're going that route because you'll not realistically get a visa on nursing and no experience of being a doctor. H1B, the employer sponsors you, you don't apply for it and it costs several thousand, so that should tell you your chances with no experience.

Small business, well if you can keep that running in the UK and open another branch in the US, that opens up a company transfer, but that's not cheap, be L1 visa.

E2 would be a couple hundred grand for a new business but no direct route to a greencard or a half mill for EB5 which gets a greencard.

Suggest you have a snoop in the wiki as it explains things pretty well.

Welcome to BE and good luck!
Hi

Thanks for your input, getting in to a US medical school would be near on impossible I think, it was a long slog getting into my program I am starting in September (5000 applicants for 200 places). I have looked at various program's and some say no experience is needed but some do say they prefer it, I just wondered if anyone knew what the law etc was for work experience in this kind of field, what visas area required to gain this experience etc.

I've also been told it is best to try to get onto a program directly from medical school as any UK experience qualified wont translate, as all MDs in the US must have done US residency. Unfortunately it's quite tricky finding all the information I need, I have spent hours emailing and trawling the Internet, as I will be taking my USMLE exams from 2015 onwards and ideally wanted to get some placements set up as soon as possible.

I could get experience as a nurse but have to sit the board exam to work in the US, I also don't think it likely I'd get a visa for short term work, no one wants to invest in someone who will only be there for a few months.

Are you an expat yourself?

Thanks again
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

I would think if possible you would be better off considering a transfer or new application to a US medical school if you can. Otherwise as said, you will likely be starting all over again. I cannot speak for certainty about the medical profession but that would certainly be true in other professional careers.
You could take a gamble and fully qualify in the UK and see if you can attract a visa sponsor (I believe thats what you intend) but that will take a defined number of years. If you can get a transfer in to a US medical school or start from the beginning that would seem more logical. As to States - big popular states, think CA, NY tend to bring more competition from the locals for admission, but that shouldn't stop you. CA has some excellent schools.

The new healthcare system is sure to create opportunities for new doctors. As well as the need, there is a growing problem of doctors in certain specialities being in short supply because the area of work is not as fashionably exotic and less well paid. Focusing your energies in these areas is likely to reap greater rewards for someone who is looking to access the US - just google for more information.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gummersarah View Post
Hi

Thanks for your input, getting in to a US medical school would be near on impossible I think, it was a long slog getting into my program I am starting in September (5000 applicants for 200 places). I have looked at various program's and some say no experience is needed but some do say they prefer it, I just wondered if anyone knew what the law etc was for work experience in this kind of field, what visas area required to gain this experience etc.

I've also been told it is best to try to get onto a program directly from medical school as any UK experience qualified wont translate, as all MDs in the US must have done US residency. Unfortunately it's quite tricky finding all the information I need, I have spent hours emailing and trawling the Internet, as I will be taking my USMLE exams from 2015 onwards and ideally wanted to get some placements set up as soon as possible.

I could get experience as a nurse but have to sit the board exam to work in the US, I also don't think it likely I'd get a visa for short term work, no one wants to invest in someone who will only be there for a few months.

Are you an expat yourself?

Thanks again
My suggestion re finding information is to find a UK doctor who has gone before you. They are out there - many of them. How to find? Well I would start with trawling the major health insurance websites and searching their doctor databases and looking for where people went to school and start contacting the UK ones for information. Try HealthNet, and Scripps in the So. CA area.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vikingsail View Post
My suggestion re finding information is to find a UK doctor who has gone before you. They are out there - many of them. How to find? Well I would start with trawling the major health insurance websites and searching their doctor databases and looking for where people went to school and start contacting the UK ones for information. Try HealthNet, and Scripps in the So. CA area.

Brilliant idea thank you!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I understand I need to sit the USMLE exams and have made a plan for when to do this throughout my studies.
If you're wanting to get to NY or CA, then I suggest that be a long-term plan for the US. If you want to get to the US to work, I suggest a short-term plan of looking at a medically underserved area where there is far less stigma associated with hiring doctors who are licensed in the US but who have non-US medical degrees. The tri-state area where I live/work (where Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia meet) is just such a medically underserved area.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
If you're wanting to get to NY or CA, then I suggest that be a long-term plan for the US. If you want to get to the US to work, I suggest a short-term plan of looking at a medically underserved area where there is far less stigma associated with hiring doctors who are licensed in the US but who have non-US medical degrees. The tri-state area where I live/work (where Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia meet) is just such a medically underserved area.

Ian
Hi Ian

Thanks for your input. We are very open area wise, as you say medically undeserved areas are likely to be "easier" (by no means easy) to get sponsorship. I would be more than happy to build up my US experience in these kind of areas. Do you know where I could find out which areas this includes? How do you find living and working where you do?

Thanks

Sarah
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:00 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

....... I would be more than happy to build up my US experience in these kind of areas. Do you know where I could find out which areas this includes? .....
http://muafind.hrsa.gov/

Not sure how useful/ understandable the search results are, but MUAs appear to be fairly widely spread, and are not confined to the well known high poverty states such as WV, MS, LA, etc.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

we prefer the lifestyle,
but you've never lived here?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:29 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
I did too, before I ever lived here, .... and I still do!

Is it possible to get the wrong end of the stick? Sure, but it is possible to get a fair picture and expectation of life in a new location. Though obviously some extrapolate their Florida vacation to a 52 weeks of the year lifestyle, and then get disappointed, so I can't help but wonder if sometimes no experience is better than just a little experience?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc View Post

We have never lived in the states no, but have visited many times, and have some family and friends over there. I don't think you ever truly know if its right for you until you try it, there is no way for us to know 100% until we try

Last edited by Gummersarah; Apr 17th 2013 at 3:34 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I did too, before I ever lived here, .... and I still do!

Is it possible to get the wrong end of the stick? Sure, but it is possible to get a fair picture and expectation of life in a new location. Though obviously some extrapolate their Florida vacation to a 52 weeks of the year lifestyle, and then get disappointed, so I can't help but wonder if sometimes no experience is better than just a little experience?

Exactly. All we can base our opinion on is what we have experienced on our visits, what friends and family tell us etc. we are well aware there will be downsides, as there is to anywhere, but we feel overall the US is a better fit for us than the UK. We definitely aren't expecting everything to be perfect
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
http://muafind.hrsa.gov/

Not sure how useful/ understandable the search results are, but MUAs appear to be fairly widely spread, and are not confined to the well known high poverty states such as WV, MS, LA, etc.
Thanks that's great, I will resume my Internet searching and hope for the best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.