Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Work authorization/K3 question, please. :)

Work authorization/K3 question, please. :)

Old Jul 13th 2002, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kimmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work authorization/K3 question, please. :)

It seems that some of you have been able to go to a certain INS office that processes work authorizations the same day. Is it mandatory they be mailed to Chicago, or are we allow to apply in person at any INS office? I would much rather go to the 1-day approval route, if it is allowed..

Thanks for the help,
Kim
Old Jul 14th 2002, 12:20 am
Mark A. Fuller

Default Re: Work authorization/K3 question, please. :)

My understanding is that, as a K3 visa holder, you can file at the office local to
you if you file the EAD application with the AOS application. If you want to file AOS
at another time, then you have to file EAD to Chicago. I don't think you can do EAD
locally any other way.

Also, the 1-day approval isn't defined the same way at all offices. In Phoenix, you
go stand in line for 2-3 hours to get an appointment to return 2-3 weeks later to
file AOS and EAD. It's still faster than 3 months through Chicago. But not exactly
drive-thru service either.

Mark

"Kimmini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It seems that some of you have been able to go to a certain INS office that
    > processes work authorizations the same day. Is it mandatory they be mailed to
    > Chicago, or are we allow to apply in person at any INS office? I would much rather
    > go to the 1-day approval route, if it is allowed..
    >
    > Thanks for the help, Kim
    >
    >
    >
    > --