British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   work auth expired takes 3mths again ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/work-auth-expired-takes-3mths-again-359524/)

elaineKB Mar 6th 2006 3:34 pm

work auth expired takes 3mths again ???

Hi all

I have just had my L2 visa (husband english on L1 status)renewed and so am now going to extend my work auth. I stupidly thought it would be quicker and I could work in the meantime as its just a renewal. I have just spoken to uscis who have advised me there is nothing i can do but wait 3 months and not work in the mean time. They only give intrim work auth if i have waited 3 months already.............Please someone tell me this is incorrect ??? I have only been here since august and had to wait till january to get it in the first place ! Just about to go for an job interview i really want but starts end march so i guess no point in going for it now. Gutted
Cheers
Elaine :(

SamuearlJackson Mar 6th 2006 4:10 pm

Re: work auth expired takes 3mths again ???

Hi Elaine,

I know when my wife renewed hers it took less than 3 months...more like 4 to 6 weeks, but I guess this depends on which office your application goes to.

Good luck,

SamJ

Big D Mar 6th 2006 4:16 pm

The original for my wife didnt take that long so should be less than 3 months.

Of course if you keep on working who will know or care - you have a SSN? Not that i am advocating working illegally........

Rushman Mar 6th 2006 4:22 pm

Make an appointment at your nearest USCIS feild office online. Go see them and ask if they can renew it there and then.
I got the run around from them over my EAD and got so pissed off that I went to my local feild office in Albany, NY.
Told them that I needed to get back to work for financial security of my family blah blah blah and they issued me a years EAD there and then on the spot. Later recieved the proper EAD.
Worth a try as it worked for me but then again.....I am rather charming.

elaineKB Mar 6th 2006 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
Make an appointment at your nearest USCIS feild office online. Go see them and ask if they can renew it there and then.
I got the run around from them over my EAD and got so pissed off that I went to my local feild office in Albany, NY.
Told them that I needed to get back to work for financial security of my family blah blah blah and they issued me a years EAD there and then on the spot. Later recieved the proper EAD.
Worth a try as it worked for me but then again.....I am rather charming.

that sounds great thanks Rushman !! Will try and make an appointment now
:)

Duncan Roberts Mar 6th 2006 4:37 pm

Technically what you were told is correct, although who knows with the timeframe. You can try the local office and see if you have any luck but they aren't obliged to do anything so it would probably be a case of getting somebody nice and in a good mood.

Rushman Mar 6th 2006 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Technically what you were told is correct, although who knows with the timeframe. You can try the local office and see if you have any luck but they aren't obliged to do anything so it would probably be a case of getting somebody nice and in a good mood.

Thats exactly it. I went there cap in hand, very meek and mild (which was a struggle in itself) and giving it the old "yes Sir, No Sir, 3 bags full Sir". Luckily they took pity on me and renewed the EAD. Just have to plead poverty and destitution and have a wee tear in the eye.
Just don't tell them you can't afford to gas up your Porsche.

elaineKB Mar 6th 2006 5:11 pm

Thats exactly it. I went there cap in hand, very meek and mild (which was a struggle in itself) and giving it the old "yes Sir, No Sir, 3 bags full Sir". Luckily they took pity on me and renewed the EAD. Just have to plead poverty and destitution and have a wee tear in the eye.
Just don't tell them you can't afford to gas up your Porsche.

Hahahahah that has cheered me up no end ... OK so i have made an appointment with the manhattan office for tom morn 0830...fingers crossed...now im off for that interview !!
Cheers everyone
Elaine :D

CarlM Mar 6th 2006 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by elaineKB
Hi all

I have just had my L2 visa (husband english on L1 status)renewed and so am now going to extend my work auth. I stupidly thought it would be quicker and I could work in the meantime as its just a renewal. I have just spoken to uscis who have advised me there is nothing i can do but wait 3 months and not work in the mean time. They only give intrim work auth if i have waited 3 months already.............Please someone tell me this is incorrect ??? I have only been here since august and had to wait till january to get it in the first place ! Just about to go for an job interview i really want but starts end march so i guess no point in going for it now. Gutted
Cheers

It can take up to 3 months - it rarely does tho.. usually quicker!

Rushman Mar 6th 2006 5:24 pm

Hahahahah that has cheered me up no end ... OK so i have made an appointment with the manhattan office for tom morn 0830...fingers crossed...now im off for that interview !!
Cheers everyone
Elaine :D

Dont be too cheery they can just as easily say "no".
There's not many immigrants in Albany so their attitude might be different to those of a swamped Manhattan office.

Jerseygirl Mar 6th 2006 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
The original for my wife didnt take that long so should be less than 3 months.

Of course if you keep on working who will know or care - you have a SSN? Not that i am advocating working illegally........

I think it is a legal requirement that all employers ask to see the GC/work visa of any new employee, assuming of course that this is a respectable firm and not some shady company.

elaineKB Mar 6th 2006 6:07 pm

Dont be too cheery they can just as easily say "no".
There's not many immigrants in Albany so their attitude might be different to those of a swamped Manhattan office.

Nah it was the porsche statement that cheered me up...I know im probably on a losing battle tommorrow..bet hey we can all but try....!

elaineKB Mar 6th 2006 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think it is a legal requirement that all employers ask to see the GC/work visa of any new employee, assuming of course that this is a respectable firm and not some shady company.

yeh they have asked and i said in process of being renewed...public school so no chance of me working there without it doh !

TouristTrap Mar 6th 2006 6:09 pm

Hi all

Cheers

You people don't know you're born......in my day, we couldn't work on L2's.... :D (sorry, but I started early :beer: )

Big D Mar 6th 2006 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

indeed but they wouldnt do that for a USC - so (apart form the accent) how would they know?