Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Woohoo-Our Shipped stuff has arrived !

Woohoo-Our Shipped stuff has arrived !

Old Jan 24th 2004, 8:48 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

They took our stuff on Jan 19th and it arrived in Miami Feb 8th (ish). I don't recall it taking any time going through customs.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 8:55 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
They took our stuff on Jan 19th and it arrived in Miami Feb 8th (ish). I don't recall it taking any time going through customs.
Damn that it is good. Did you have a full container or a partial load? I've been quote a min of 8 weeks to get mine shipped. I am in Spain which slows it down a bit though.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 9:02 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

It was a full smaller sized container. About 22' I think? Anyway, we were originally told it would take about 6 weeks to get there, but I guess we just had good timing and our stuff went on a ship almost immediately after it had arrived in Southampton.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 9:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It was a full smaller sized container. About 22' I think? Anyway, we were originally told it would take about 6 weeks to get there, but I guess we just had good timing and our stuff went on a ship almost immediately after it had arrived in Southampton.
How much did it cost for a container, if you don't mind me asking? And was any packing included (i.e., putting things in boxes and then putting things into the container)? I know with some companies they just leave the container at your house for a week and you pack it yourself..
Old Jan 24th 2004, 9:20 pm
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Was this by the same company? thats real quick!
Old Jan 24th 2004, 10:04 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
How much did it cost for a container, if you don't mind me asking? And was any packing included (i.e., putting things in boxes and then putting things into the container)? I know with some companies they just leave the container at your house for a week and you pack it yourself..
Have a look at their website. It explains how they do it all.

I've emailed them on the offchance they would take a shipment from Spain.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:50 pm
my arm aches

It cost roughly 3400 pounds (my memory is fading on this a bit) and I do remember them as the cheapest quote. They packed our entire house, loaded it into the container, and shipped to Miami. Once there, we paid extra for the stuff to go into storage for a couple of months, even this rate was cheaper than other companies had quoted too. When we were ready to take delivery of our stuff, it was driven from Miami to Tampa, and everything was unpacked for us in our new house. As I said the only extra we paid was for longer storage. Their service for us was excellent.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It cost roughly 3400 pounds (my memory is fading on this a bit) and I do remember them as the cheapest quote. They packed our entire house, loaded it into the container, and shipped to Miami. Once there, we paid extra for the stuff to go into storage for a couple of months, even this rate was cheaper than other companies had quoted too. When we were ready to take delivery of our stuff, it was driven from Miami to Tampa, and everything was unpacked for us in our new house. As I said the only extra we paid was for longer storage. Their service for us was excellent.
That's an excellent price for a complete container. I had a partial load and so they built a box (liftvan) to put it in. Probably about a quarter of a container at most. Cost about $4,000 each time (to UK, back from UK). At the prevailing exchange rate that was about 2,600 squids.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:07 pm
Franklin

That's an excellent price for a complete container. I had a partial load and so they built a box (liftvan) to put it in. Probably about a quarter of a container at most. Cost about $4,000 each time (to UK, back from UK). At the prevailing exchange rate that was about 2,600 squids.
That's not so bad. If my memory is correct it cost around 2,500 UK pounds to ship my mum's stuff to my apartment in DC-metro land. There was quite a lot of stuff even though my mum had a one bedroom apartment (it was stuffed full of furniture). We thought the quote was very good - it was (if I recollect correctly) at least 1,000 UK pounds cheaper than the next nearest quote. So we had a bargain.

We shared a container (the UK shipper shrink wrapped everything onto a series of pallets). Unfortunately, the stuff got held up in Baltimore (MD), apparently the US Customs decided to do one of their detailed searches and we ended up with an extra fee (about $70) for the extra work that fell onto our shipper's agent. We paid that and they delivered it. Apart from this snaffu, we were pretty happy with everything.

There were extra-costs, I flew over to the UK to help my mother move. Also, she needed someone to travel with her and help her with carrying her luggage.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 25th 2004 at 11:17 pm.