Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wood vs Brick built houses

Wood vs Brick built houses

Old May 25th 2011, 2:51 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wood vs Brick built houses

Take a look at Google Maps:

Google map "Joplin MO"

On the left you will have an option for "Recent Floods and Tornadoes" which will map the tornado's path through the city.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ftr=cris...rnadoes_4_2011

A few things of note:

* You can switch to satellite view or street view to get an idea of the construction of homes pre-tornado (primarily wood homes in this area)

* You will see a few sturdier places, such as the commercial buildings that were built with cinderblocks and cement. In the red zone of most destruction those are basically gone as well. In the areas that were not under the direct path some brick structures may be standing whereas the wood homes are gone, but in the direct path nearly everything is flattened.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Interesting little article, saying the most tornado proof house's are made of styrofoam bricks with concrete poured inside. I remember seeing this method used on Grand Designs, but can't imagine why, it obviously wasn't to survive tornados.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/rebuild...s-needed-2725/

Lots of these areas are extremely poor, and any roof over their heads is an advantage, what its made of doesn't really come into consideration.
Interesting article. I note that they say you really can't protect the roof. The article also notes "hurricane clips" which strikes me as echoing what I was saying on the methods of connecting the structure.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:30 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, not all wood framed buildings are alike. As I mentioned, there have been advances in how you put these things together.

For example, "shear walls" are now required. Here in LA, there is a construction inspection, both exterior and interior on the lathing to insure it is nailed/screwed correctly. Quite often, various connectors are required [should've bought stock in Simpson Strong Tie]. This has to be done before the covering goes on.

The structure must be tied to the foundation. [My house is unusual for pre-war construction. It was tied to the perimeter foundation, albeit bolts were 6' on center rather than the 4' required under today's codes].

I've noted that many of the lumber piles in Joplin do not contain sheathing.

"They don't build them like they used to." They won't let 'em.

PS -- I am talking about the "bones" of modern construction methods. The decorative finish stuff is not as attractive as the old stuff.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
I vividly recall both the Leonis & Reyes adobe homes had sustained significant damage during several past earthquakes several times the walls had to be rebuilt, I was not aware that there where any more adobe homes in that area other then the two I had mentioned, I am pretty sure there are only 3-4 left in all of L.A , so I don't know where you are getting " The Traditional adobe construction of this area " , Yeah they keep cool in summertime, but do not stand a chance against earthquakes, so much for local conditions !
During a class project many moons ago we went to the Leonis Rancho and packed mud/straw into cracks and also made bricks with the same materials.
I may be relying too much in what we were told on a trip to Santa Barbara Mission, where the adobe buildings had survived an earthquake which devastated the other structures.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:40 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

For those who haven't seen it, these are two pretty amazing videos.

The first is what it was actually like in the storm when it hit. A dozen people or so ran into a gas station/convenience store to take shelter, and when the storm came through they hid in the freezer for safety, crying and praying as the winds ripped through. It's almost like a horror movie (starting about minute 2:10 or so)

The second video is the aftermath, where the guy went back to see what remained. You'll see some pretty amazing footage of the destruction, including some cinderblock walls blown down.

Old May 25th 2011, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of worrying about brick vs wood, a better bet might be to require cellars and/or tornado shelters.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:48 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I may be relying too much in what we were told on a trip to Santa Barbara Mission, where the adobe buildings had survived an earthquake which devastated the other structures.
I was there a few weeks back and was told that the mission had suffered considerable quake damage -- see here.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I was there a few weeks back and was told that the mission had suffered considerable quake damage -- see here.
When do you reckon the next 'big one' will come?
Old May 25th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I admit I have lost touch with how new houses are built in the UK. Are homes no longer made of a layer of brick and another layer of breeze block? Are you saying they are made of timber because not that many years ago you couldn't get a mortgage or insurance for a timber framed house?
I live in an area that was apparently the biggest building site in Europe. Thousands of new houses over the last decade and they're still building. All the ones I've seen are breeze block inner walls and brick exterior. Note that the brickwork is not just decorative though, it also forms the insulation barrier.

Rather crazily, they're building on well known flood plains too. A field surrounded by a stream and a railway embankment always had large areas under water after rain. Now there are houses instead. Somehow they're insured and mortgaged.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Instead of worrying about brick vs wood, a better bet might be to require cellars and/or tornado shelters.
Safe rooms (usually small rooms built under the concrete garage floor or house concrete slab) are becoming common in recent years in tornado alley. They are small and cheap to build in a new house. A cellar may not be safe if it is not below a concrete floor since a F4-5 tornado can rip a wood framed attached floor from the cellar.

Even if someone builds a steel frame with rebar brick house, that still won't protect anyone since windows will break causing debris flying through the windows. Also the roof will likely be torn off in a direct F4-5 tornado hit.

Last edited by Michael; May 25th 2011 at 10:19 am.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Insomniac is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's some pictures showing brick buildings. If you'll notice while some are still partially standing, the roof being torn off has all but demolished them. There's not much you can do against the awesome power of a tornado. Storm shelters are the only good protection.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ouri-town.html
Old May 25th 2011, 2:27 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I've got wood, but it's still erect despite my terrible wind.
... its been more than 4 hours, you might want to seek medical attention....
Old May 25th 2011, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I thought about saying that myself. When we were house hunting 4yrs ago, I refused to consider any house without a basement because of tornadoes. A basement isn't perfect by any means, but it's a hell of a lot better than a slab foundation house. I don't understand why it isn't standard for houses that are in Tornado Alley.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I thought about saying that myself. When we were house hunting 4yrs ago, I refused to consider any house without a basement because of tornadoes. A basement isn't perfect by any means, but it's a hell of a lot better than a slab foundation house. I don't understand why it isn't standard for houses that are in Tornado Alley.
I refused to buy a slab house even though I'm not in Tornado Alley. However, the reasons have nothing to do survivability.

Also, it strikes me that a storm shelter need not be directly under the house.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I used to watch Grand Designs all the time. I was convinced that the host (can't remember his name) was having an affair with the female half of all the home builders because they always seemed to end up pregnant.
House building and renovation causes women to become super-fertile it would seem. Every single program about house building and renovation seems to have a good 50% of women become pregnant, Sarah Beany must have had a dozen kids. If you know a couple who are struggling to conceive, tell them to do up a house. My sister laughed at me when I told her. Seven years of trying with no success, she buys a new house and starts extreme decorating and the patter of tiny feet appeared a year later. Suggested it to my next door neighbour. Wham! Must be some kind of nesting instinct.

Probably explains why there are so few women builders, they are all pregnant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.