Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wood vs Brick built houses

Wood vs Brick built houses

Old May 25th 2011, 12:17 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wood vs Brick built houses

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
The chances of being hit by a Tornado, when you live in the middle of "Tornado Alley" aren't exactly remote.

Jim.
I've just read 'tornados hit a given location once in 5,000 years on average' that seems remote to me
Old May 25th 2011, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I thought wooden houses stood up better than brick in earthquakes as they flex. The shifting of brick houses means walls fall down and the mortar holding the bricks together rubs together and becomes sand, eventually falling down. Also, most brick houses out here have no foundations, so slide

Can't comment on tornado's though, can't imagine either structure would fair well.
Oh yes, no question about that. But the adobe construction is large slabs of mud used in low buildings. My post was more a rumination on traditional v. modern approaches to housing.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:19 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
The chances of being hit by a Tornado, when you live in the middle of "Tornado Alley" aren't exactly remote.
Jim.
Luckily I do not live there, so I am ignorant; but I had assumed that a tornado does a lot of damage to a competitively small area. So while it might be common for one to hit your area, you would still be unlucky for it to hit your house.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Well to get a bit boring about it, it was a narrowish corridor that got damaged. The houses to either side were OK, you have to calculate the chances of being hit by the tornado and weight that against the cost of damages.
That may be so but to me it makes sense to build houses of more robust materials if you live in an area prone to tornadoes.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I have noted that many of the pics show the surrounding structures still standing.

Even the brick buildings won't have a roof after a wind like that.

As one living in Earthquake Country, I would rather be in a wood frame structure any day. There was an article in the LA Times this morning about a hospital there and the wind blew out the doors and windows.

Also, one thing we have learned the hard way here in California is that how one joins the components of the building are important.
I thought wooden houses stood up better than brick in earthquakes as they flex. The shifting of brick houses means walls fall down and the mortar holding the bricks together rubs together and becomes sand, eventually falling down. Also, most brick houses out here have no foundations, so slide

Can't comment on tornado's though, can't imagine either structure would fair well.
I understand that houses made of wood are preferable to those of brick in some areas. I'm talking about houses built in areas where a brick house would remain standing when bad weather hits vs a wooden house which is blown away.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:23 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That may be so but to me it makes sense to build houses of more robust materials if you live in an area prone to tornadoes.

I understand that houses made of wood are preferable to those of brick in some areas. I'm talking about houses built in areas where a brick house would remain standing when bad weather hits vs a wooden house which is blown away.
Interesting little article, saying the most tornado proof house's are made of styrofoam bricks with concrete poured inside. I remember seeing this method used on Grand Designs, but can't imagine why, it obviously wasn't to survive tornados.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/rebuild...s-needed-2725/

Lots of these areas are extremely poor, and any roof over their heads is an advantage, what its made of doesn't really come into consideration.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting little article, saying the most tornado proof house's are made of styrofoam bricks with concrete poured inside. I remember seeing this method used on Grand Designs, but can't imagine why, it obviously wasn't to survive tornados.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/rebuild...s-needed-2725/

Lots of these areas are extremely poor, and any roof over their heads is an advantage, what its made of doesn't really come into consideration.
Yes that's interesting. Cost is the major factor.

I don't think many houses even in the UK are built with brick now. At most they will have a brick facing.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read 'tornados hit a given location once in 5,000 years on average' that seems remote to me
Here's a list of all known Tornadoes, that have struck North America. Joplin has been struck on previous occasions, according to the Mayor & City Manager.....and they're not 5,000 years old;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nado_outbreaks

Jim.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes that's interesting. Cost is the major factor.

I don't think many houses even in the UK are built with brick now. At most they will have a brick facing.
I admit I have lost touch with how new houses are built in the UK. Are homes no longer made of a layer of brick and another layer of breeze block? Are you saying they are made of timber because not that many years ago you couldn't get a mortgage or insurance for a timber framed house?
Old May 25th 2011, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I admit I have lost touch with how new houses are built in the UK. Are homes no longer made of a layer of brick and another layer of breeze block? Are you saying they are made of timber because not that many years ago you couldn't get a mortgage or insurance for a timber framed house?
I was thinking they're not built like my 1920s house was, out of proper brick courses. But I think you're right, they're often breezeblock with a brick facing. Timber framed houses are also more common now, though. My brother had one and my friend I'm going to stay with in the summer does. I didn't hear they have any problems with mortgage or insurance.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on location and what the local natural disasters are, sometimes one makes more sense than the other.

Timber tends to be cheaper though and pretty good for earthquake zones, not so great for wind zones, where it's the seal of the house that's important, roof or window goes and a vacuum effect can crush a flexible house in.

Much better building tech these days than just wood though, places like Japan have invested in the stuff more, because they suffer it more frequently, but also because they tend to rebuild houses on a fairly regular basis to get them up to code.
Old May 25th 2011, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I used to watch Grand Designs all the time. I was convinced that the host (can't remember his name) was having an affair with the female half of all the home builders because they always seemed to end up pregnant.
Old May 25th 2011, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I used to watch Grand Designs all the time. I was convinced that the host (can't remember his name) was having an affair with the female half of all the home builders because they always seemed to end up pregnant.
I fancied him

Had to google his name though - Kevin McCloud.
Old May 25th 2011, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

I fancied him

Had to google his name though - Kevin McCloud.

I love that show, watched the latest series recently whuch was mainly revisited ones.
Old May 25th 2011, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

I love old houses for those reasons. Also the traditional adobe construction of this area withstands earthquakes and keeps the house cool. The modern approach takes little or no account of local conditions.
I vividly recall both the Leonis & Reyes adobe homes had sustained significant damage during several past earthquakes several times the walls had to be rebuilt, I was not aware that there where any more adobe homes in that area other then the two I had mentioned, I am pretty sure there are only 3-4 left in all of L.A , so I don't know where you are getting " The Traditional adobe construction of this area " , Yeah they keep cool in summertime, but do not stand a chance against earthquakes, so much for local conditions !
During a class project many moons ago we went to the Leonis Rancho and packed mud/straw into cracks and also made bricks with the same materials.
Old May 25th 2011, 2:15 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that in an F1-F2 tornado brick will probably still be standing even if the roof is gone. F3 probably depends on the proximity to the worst of the wind but F4 or F5 it just doesn't matter. Anything but poured concrete will sustain severe damage or worse.

This is a very interesting link (Really, it's worth a look) containing the history and pictures of the aftermath of the St. Louis, MO tornado of 1896. At that time, St. Louis was built pimarily out of brick. Two older (Built in 1915 and 1926) St. Louis homes I've lived in had solid brick walls with the inside of the exterior walls covered with plaster. I'm sure the construction of the buildings shown in the link was similar. The 1896 tornado was rated F4 at maximum wind velocity.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/count...clone/1896.htm

Here are a couple examples taken from the link.

Last edited by another bloody yank; May 25th 2011 at 2:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.